Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many jackets have you owned?

Brettafett

One Too Many
So, I did some jacket history and math last night.
I compiled a list of the jackets I have owned over the years, and was slightly shocked to discover .... 28 jackets! Gosh :confused:

A-2 x 19 (plus x2 try-ons), G-1 x 2, B-10 x 2, Wested Indy Jacket x 1, an Alpha CWU-45/P and MA-1, an original Nomex CWU-45 and a repro WEP jacket. Holy heck o_O

Currently, I own an ELC RW1401 and B-10. And... I don't think I am done yet :rolleyes:

lol man, wait till you hear from other members who have been through 200+. I have had approx. 40-45 leather jackets altogether. Now I only have seven. Six cafe racers, leather Levi's type jean jacket and one cross zip.

BobJ

Practically Family
So, I did some jacket history and math last night.
I compiled a list of the jackets I have owned over the years, and was slightly shocked to discover .... 28 jackets! Gosh :confused:

A-2 x 19 (plus x2 try-ons), G-1 x 2, B-10 x 2, Wested Indy Jacket x 1, an Alpha CWU-45/P and MA-1, an original Nomex CWU-45 and a repro WEP jacket. Holy heck o_O

Currently, I own an ELC RW1401 and B-10. And... I don't think I am done yet :rolleyes:

If you count non-leather jackets, I've owned several dozens over the years. I currently own eight (one leather), plus several sweaters, wool shirts, flannel shirts, and vests. I sometimes get analysis paralysis standing there at the closet trying to decide which one, or combination, to wear.... and I want more! :D

I have this Woolrich Woodsman the way - it's on sale right now:

HUNRD.jpg

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/details/men-s-woodcutter-coat/_/R-16621?_=1472116305806#

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I still own all the jackets I bought. It is 1x Vanson, 3x Aero, 3x Simmons Bilt, 3x Johnson Leather. Exactly 10 jackets at the moment. I plan to get this new shawl collar Aero and I have a civil A1 style from Headwind on order, so soon 12, I suppose. I occasionally get into an argument with people whether it's reasonable to spend that much money on leather jackets, but here that: I study and all of the people around me burn their money for fancy cocktails at tiresome parties. I believe my investments will last longer and noone's aying there not enough left to buy some good whiskey for quality time.

dan_t

Practically Family
Well, I only found this site around 2 years ago & owned 1 jacket at that time.
Since then, 8 have arrived & 3 have departed.
Not really sure why I'd ever need 5 heavy leather jackets in Sydney, but hey, what's a guy to do?
Current stock;
Aero Early '90s Highwayman in Black Connolly Steerhide
Aero 'Sheene' Brown FQHH
Aero 'Sheene' Black Heavy Steerhide
Aero 'Sunburst', heavily customized, halfbelt, Seal Goatskin
Thedi Café Racer, Black Italian FQHH

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Ivan, I got a customized M200 in naked cow (there's some pictures floading around here), a M120 civil flight jacket in finished cow and the M8002 Car Coat customized without the front vertical seams in black bison.

Cool! Love M200. Which one is shinier, naked or finished cow? I know JL has this gorgeous shiny leather that's about mid to heavy weight. I'm gettin' something from 'em right now so wanna figure out what hide to go with. Tho perhaps this isn't the thread to discuss it so to contribute to the thread, list of jackets I kept:

Schott Confed. Motorcycles Cafe Racer, red probably Brimaco Cafe Racer from the 60's, Lewis Leathers Phantom, custom made goathide CR, Alpinestars two-tone Brooks CR repro, Langlitz Leathers Columbia and German made vintage-y leather jean jacket.

Other stuff that I've had; Aero Motorcycle jacket x2, Aero J106, Aero Highwayman x2, Aero Police jacket, Aero HB, Aero Barnstormer. Vanson Mod. A x2, Mod B House, SportsRacer, Pro Perf. Schott 118 x2, 618, 618HH, CR x2, one of the A2's, Schott leather coat, LL cross zip that was way too small and few others I can't think of atm. . .

Edward

Bartender
I've owned, I think, in the region of a dozen Aeros, one Schott, several Perfectoalikes, one cafe racer (Route 66 brand, made in USA), couple of ELCs, and a bunch of other stuff over the years. If you bring in non-leathers, since I first started buying leather jackets and milspec stuff at fifteen, you're probably into fifty, sixty jackets maybe? That's without counting the non-military, non-leather stuff. I've got to sell a few leather before I buy more, now I know what my thing is. I'm not so into the military ones now - I have two A2s; I'll keep the goat Aero, but I plan to sell the horse ELC simply because the Aero was the only one I ever wore all that often of the two. The civilian designs are much more interesting to me nowadays (though my AVG jacket is still on the cards). Ideally, I'd like to have ten leather jackets as a ceiling, but I think by the time I get everything on my wishlist, and having really hone it down, it'll be about fifteen - though that includes shearlings.

Is that excessive? Yes and no. Most people back in the day to which I look for style inspiration would have had a wardrobe only a tiny fraction of the size of mine. As I always say, though, I could be out spending it on booze, cigarettes, or lottery tickets, with less to show for my money...

Brettafett

One Too Many
Whew... ;) I don't feel so bad anymore. Also, selling offsets most of the costs anyway.
Still want an M422a and a Cafe racer/ Sheene. Actually, wouldn't mind a seal A-2 either... Mmm

"...As I always say, though, I could be out spending it on booze, cigarettes, or lottery tickets, with less to show for my money......" and "...all of the people around me burn their money for fancy cocktails at tiresome parties." +1

I'm far too embarrassed to give a number and have honestly lost count. Needless to say the figure would end in two 0's. The hunt is part of the fun though so I suppose it's not all bad. What's even crazier is the ones I've sold and bought back. Like this jacket due back today or tomorrow.
image.jpeg

And I couldn't be happier about it!!! That's how I KNOW I'm nuts.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately i am very good at buying stuff, but very bad at selling them...

Been playing bass for 15 years, and i currently own 15 basses, never sold one.
I started getting into nicer clothing around 5 years ago, i currently have 13 jackets and coats in total, 7 leather, a couple type III, a couple wool coats, trench coat, B3... Again, never sold one.

I recently decided to get into guitar, bought one, and now i can't help but prowl the web looking for great deals...

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Can't begin to count over the years ...but I have 24 that I rotate....they will go to the grandkids as they grow..I hate selling them on...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I haven't kept a tally but for the most part have rid myself of jackets sized too big for me, so now what remain are jackets that fit as though they were bespoke, which I suppose mostly they are. The only remaining not-very-good fits are a a size 46 Cooper G-1 that is probably a size too big and a size 44 Tall G&B Expedition (Indy) jacket that is designed with the shoulder seams falling way off my shoulders that does not fit to my suiting that I suspect is more a design flaw than anything else. Although the G&B Expedition is no longer made by G&B, their original write up stated that their pattern was from the original Indiana Jones jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Been playing bass for 15 years, and i currently own 15 basses, never sold one..

I've been lucky with bass, but then as I've only ever really cared for one variety - the Fender Precision, of course - It's been somewhat easier to limit myself! I currently have my original Squier P-Bass Special, and a Brandoni P bass customised with Fender 62RI innards - three tone burst, rosewood board (matches my beloved Fender US Std Strat I bought new way back in 1994).

One can never own enough guitars.

These I have a harder tiem with.... I've owned about thirteen over the years, though I'm planning to sell about half of them. I think, including basses and acoustics, I can get it to fifteen and I should have all I need.....

Being left handed is something of a bonus if you want to keep down the spend on guitars, as so many of the ones I like are either unafforadable or simpyl not available in that configuration! If only leathrer jackets were as easy.... (Maybe I should have that third arm attached..... would make jackets not so easy to buy..... and it could help with some jazzchord voicings on guitar..... ;) ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21