Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much younger does a fresh, crunchy Denim-jacket make you?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Give me Liberace's bank balance and I'll happily wear that outfit! He didn't care nor did his millions of fans. Bit of an extreme example but in real life fashion/style (and as much as some here may deny it, our jackets are still fashion) is always driven by the ones who aren't afraid to stand out. Be it in a subculture or elsewhere. I am by nature fairly shy and lack a certain amount of confidence but not when it came to clothes. For some reason I've always pushed at least my own boundaries in that area. So I stand by my statement.

Well, your statement was - No item of clothing will make you look any different. It's about the wearer and how they feel in it. Clearly that's not entirely accurate but I admire you for pushing your own boundaries. That's cool.

The saying 'clothes maketh the man' exist for a reason. And the principle works in reverse.

Here's another example of it not working. :D A comic character from TV but there are men in this town who dress this way and think they look fashionably well dressed.

kel.jpg

Last edited:
The state of denim here as I am seeing it in Ireland (Dublin) is atrocious.
Skinny, faux faded, Low rise awfulness. Appears to be stretch as well. Look like they borrowed their sisters clothing.
Doesn't seam to matter if the guys are fit or not.
Hoping Durham is better. What the hell is going on here?

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Ive heard the stretch stuff is awesome from several people. I like my levis loose fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wore the stretch stuff at 14...was OK then as were my white jeans. Happy currently (51) with Pike Bros denim jeans, may get a 'Vintage' style jacket but wouldn't want to wear it with the jeans (convict look). Might stretch to jeans and a denim shirt together :)

bn1966

Don't know if a Denim jacket would make me look older or not, but quite frankly at my age (51 still) I don't care :)

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
Don't know if a Denim jacket would make me look older or not, but quite frankly at my age (51 still) I don't care :)

A couple years ago I caught the fever for an original Lee 101-J Rider jacket, the same as I wore as a kid and into my twenties, after MUCH searching I found a 1964 version for a little over a hundred bucks on E-Bay. Though not perfect, it's almost unbelievable in it's condition. All the "markers" are there confirming its age. I wear that baby as much as I can..............oh and I forgot to add, I'm 63. ;)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The state of denim here as I am seeing it in Ireland (Dublin) is atrocious.
Skinny, faux faded, Low rise awfulness. Appears to be stretch as well. Look like they borrowed their sisters clothing.
Doesn't seam to matter if the guys are fit or not.
Hoping Durham is better. What the hell is going on here?

Likely you'll find it much the same in the UK, then. Mainstream fashion has really revived the eighties take on drainpipes over the last couple of years, though mutated with these dreadfully low waists that were never the norm when I was a kid.

(If you've got time, do make sure you check out the GPO exhibition on the 16 Rising - probably the best, most objective, most academic and yet accessible, presentation I've ever seen on one of the pivotal moments of Dublin, and, indeed, the whoel island's history.)

I wore the stretch stuff at 14...was OK then as were my white jeans. Happy currently (51) with Pike Bros denim jeans, may get a 'Vintage' style jacket but wouldn't want to wear it with the jeans (convict look). Might stretch to jeans and a denim shirt together :)

The funny thing is that I have a guilty love of what you call the convict look: that classic, American prison uniform vibe that you see in The Shawshank Redemption or Escape from Alcatraz. Love it, but it's a guilty pleasure, given the way I roll my eyes at some of the hip hop kids and their glorification of criminality through style..... ha.... It's just so sharp, though...

El Marro

I suspect if a denim jacket could somehow restore my hairline I'd be much more inclined to buy one, and the sales for such a jacket would skyrocket.
I recently purchased a beautiful denim jacket from Ciano Farmer. After wearing it for a month or so I regret to say that it has done nothing to restore my hairline, I'm still balding!

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Well, At 74, I decided to jump into the jeans mode just for fun!
Today I ordered a Bravestar Steadfast Selvedge and a J Crew jacket.
Last week I picked up a Vintage Rider, Levi , and Wrangleroff the Bay.
Picked up some jeans: Levi 505,513, Hollister, and Wrangler, all new.
Gonna sport my Red Wing Iron Ranger , maybe a Frye Artisinal Engineer.
New look for me. Wore suits and ties for work 40 years, Police Uniforms for 15.
Now I have several "looks". Raiders of Lost Ark, Military, Safari, summer linen with Straw Panama, Cowboy with boots and Stetsons.
Having a lot of fun and never feel ridiculous.
But one thing I'll never wear with the denim look.....a Baseball Cap.
Keep moving and you will live longer.

HanauMan

Practically Family
But one thing I'll never wear with the denim look.....a Baseball Cap

Yep! Traveller-hat, flatcap or no headwear, but NO baseball-cap! Basecap ONLY for bicycle-ride!! :D

Hmmm, I must be the odd man out. I'm 52 and wear a denim jacket AND a baseball cap (the old mesh backed version). And, shock horror, I usually wear the collar turned up too!

View media item 1453
I'd never wear a cap for riding my bicycle though, always a cycle helmet!

HanauMan

Practically Family
@HanauMan

Everyone can wear, what he likes.

But I don't want to end as an "professional adolescent", myself. ;) I always think of Thomas Gottschalk. :confused::confused::confused:

I guess it is a cultural thing.

When I lived in Deutschland it was the adolescents who wore baseball caps, sure enough. I'm from rural North Carolina originally and there everybody, young or old, wore a baseball cap.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I think we should all be ashamed of ourselves encouraging Trenchy's denim fetish like this. :D
Oh I don't know, I've put up sixty or so loud shirts in the Fedora & Hawaiian shirt thread, not that they make me feel any younger, but they certainly get noticed, nothing like a bit of self promotion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn