Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Paint On A Leather Jacket, Part 6: Painting "Lucky Dog" - the base

Stand By

One Too Many
So here we are at last - painting Lucky Dog on the back panel of my Aero ANJ-3 and, like the mission tally marks, we begin with painting a white base in acrylic paint. This is no different to what you've seen so far - it just expands on the same principles.

LuckyDogProgress#1.JPG
First, make sure your stencil is placed centrally and has the correct rotation. Most important! You don't want to discover that slight mistake later on ...!

LuckyDogProgress#2.JPG
Then comes perhaps the hardest part - putting that first touch of paint on the jacket. It's not easy - as it requires a definite leap of faith and, once done, you're committed.
But once on, the anxiety passes - and then it's a matter of being in for a penny and in for a pound - and you're on your way and it becomes simply a matter of seeing this through to the end.

LuckyDogProgress#3.JPG
So here I am using the stencil to create the USAAF "star and bar" which will act as a trig-point or land-marker for the rest of the stencil to make sure that it is accurately replaced each time.

LuckyDogProgress#4.JPG
And I just add in more acrylic to flesh out the white circle.

LuckyDogProgress#5.JPG

LuckyDogProgress#6.JPG

LuckyDogProgress#7.JPG
So keep verifying your progress with the stencil. So now it becomes very clear why an accurate stencil is so helpful!

LuckyDogProgress#8.JPG
The "bar" added. Baby steps, you see.

LuckyDogProgress#9.JPG
So the "star and bar" is all done. Now to work on Lucky ...

LuckyDogProgress#10.JPG
And just keep working that stencil back and forth like an animator's page and keep going - just as with the tallies ...

LuckyDogProgress#12.JPG

LuckyDogProgress#11.JPG
So getting to the end of the first coat of white paint - and a second coat all over is required.

LuckyDogProgress#13.JPG
Ta-Daaah!
In this shot, the DOG part looks crooked - that's just the jacket not lying flat for the photo (I'm doing all this myself - holding the paint brush and taking photos!) - but it is straight.

So the base is done!
Next we start adding colours!

End of part 6.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy