Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Suit

Jay

Practically Family
I forgot another one of my favorites. The shirt comment reminded me... Nothing bothers me more than the shirt that has a neck that is atleast 2 sizes too big for the wearer. Sometimes you can see their undershirts when the top button is fastened!

Sir Dobbs

New in Town
Shoes

Would you consider these shoes to be inappropriate with a standard suit?

398996019a.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What would they be appropriate with?

Exactly, the soles are too big and clunky to wear with dress clothing, but the spectator look is too dressy for casual.

The soles really don't "go" with anything and ruin the shoe, they belong on boots, not shoes.

Sir Dobbs

New in Town
carebear said:
Exactly, the soles are too big and clunky to wear with dress clothing, but the spectator look is too dressy for casual.

The soles really don't "go" with anything and ruin the shoe, they belong on boots, not shoes.
Can't the two looks cancel for something in-between?

carebear

Sir Dobbs said:
Can't the two looks cancel for something in-between?

Something? :D .oO(...must...resist...straight line...)

I can't think of anything I'd wear them with anyway. The look would definitely be modern "style", not classic, and I don't think it would last.

Sir Dobbs

New in Town
I must say any time I've worn them with a suit I've had nothing but positive remarks regarding them. I agree the soles are a bit large but I personally find the shoe fairly tasteful as a whole.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I actually like the style of the shoe...I'd prolly risk the life of the shoe and have it resoled with something less...huge... lol

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Now that I look at it closely you could go with a very very very thin sole (non rubber) and completely save that dress shoe ^_-

I've been going back over the thread and thought I'd make a few changes to the list. First, I removed the bad break because this really comes under tailoring and not personal taste. Similarly, I have not added low waist vs. high waist as that would come under tailoring too - unless one has bought a vintage suit, he's not really going to get trousers meant to be worn high. I have also not added the untucked shirt because what I had in mind here was a man who wants to look good, buys a well-made suit (whatever style he's had in mind), and then goes about killing his overall appearance in various ways. And while I believe it perfectly normal for a man to have long hair (the style does predate short hair) he should stick to a suit style that complements long hair, for I have seen men who looked rather stylish except for a rather unruly mop atop their head.

Of course, much of this subjective, but I believe this is a pretty good checklist.

1. Worn out shoes/overbearing shoes/wrong shoes for style and color
2. No pocket square (to me, this makes for an incomplete look)
3. Drooping socks
4. Pairing it with wrong hat
5. Incorrect buttoning for style of jacket
6. Tie too long or wide
7. Overstuffed pockets
8. Gadgets clipped to belt.
9. Open double-breasted jacket
10. Unkempt hair/beard/moustache
11. Overbearing/questionable accoutrements and jewelry (including the wearing of backbacks)

Any others that don't fall into the category of tailoring?

Regards,

Senator Jack

carebear

I must disagree with the distinguished Senator from New York. :D

Is also a tailoring issue. Some folks' jobs require wearing things on their belts. Some folks have simply decided that they need such things. A properly fitted coat will cover a doctor's pager or salesman's Blackberry clipped on the belt worn in the hollow of their hip (3 or 5 o'clock position) far better than having that same pager producing a bulge in some pocket or another or that person having a bag looped over their shoulder. A little discretion in positioning is all it takes, so you don't look like Batman with your coat open.

I'm not sure what other trades require such carrying of "gadgets", but I know from personal experience that a good tailor can also adjust the fit of trouser and coat to accommodate the weapons of those who are required or choose to carry them. It shocked the heck out of me the first time I took off my jacket to get a sport coat fitted and the tailor tapped my gun and asked if I wore it there all the time so he could fit the coat around it properly.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Sir Dobbs said:
Would you consider these shoes to be inappropriate with a standard suit?

398996019a.jpg

oh come on- they're doc martens.
They're comfortable!
go ahead and wear them if you want.

Sir Dobbs

New in Town
Dinerman said:
oh come on- they're doc martens.
They're comfortable!
go ahead and wear them if you want.

Haha yes I agree they are extremely comfortable, and simply a spectactular choice for situations in which much walking is required.

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
I've been going back over the thread and thought I'd make a few changes to the list. First, I removed the bad break because this really comes under tailoring and not personal taste. Similarly, I have not added low waist vs. high waist as that would come under tailoring too - unless one has bought a vintage suit, he's not really going to get trousers meant to be worn high. I have also not added the untucked shirt because what I had in mind here was a man who wants to look good, buys a well-made suit (whatever style he's had in mind), and then goes about killing his overall appearance in various ways. And while I believe it perfectly normal for a man to have long hair (the style does predate short hair) he should stick to a suit style that complements long hair, for I have seen men who looked rather stylish except for a rather unruly mop atop their head.

Of course, much of this subjective, but I believe this is a pretty good checklist.

1. Worn out shoes/overbearing shoes/wrong shoes for style and color
2. No pocket square (to me, this makes for an incomplete look)
3. Drooping socks
4. Pairing it with wrong hat
5. Incorrect buttoning for style of jacket
6. Tie too long or wide
7. Overstuffed pockets
9. Open double-breasted jacket
10. Unkempt hair/beard/moustache
11. Overbearing/questionable accoutrements and jewelry (including the wearing of backbacks)

Any others that don't fall into the category of tailoring?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Holy Cow Daddy-O! Youre Hardcore!
Heh heh.

:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff