Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a wrist watch?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Anybody got one of the Seiko military watches? I'm tempted by one, but want to be sure when I see them listed as "automatic" they really are. Quartz is a deal breaker for me (otherwise I'd have one of those gold plated Hamilton Venturas....).
Do you mean these Edward? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-SEIK...tches_MensWatches_GL&var=&hash=item6fc5dabbdb

I haven't got one but do own many Seiko's...Seiko DO NOT make rubbish...if they are genuine and I do not doubt they are then they are a good buy, here's a decent link to a great site all about the Seiko 5 thing http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/what-seiko-5-a-47211.html to be honest at that price if I had a few quid spare I 'd buy one in a flash!

Last edited:

Earl Grey Tea Drinker

New in Town
Anybody got one of the Seiko military watches? I'm tempted by one, but want to be sure when I see them listed as "automatic" they really are. Quartz is a deal breaker for me (otherwise I'd have one of those gold plated Hamilton Venturas....).

Seiko 5 or Seiko military watches are OK, but the crystal they use called hardlex can crack easy. I had one that did on me. The mechanical automatic movement however is pretty good though.

Earl Grey Tea Drinker

New in Town
No quite the opposite, a leather 'bund' will distance the watch from the wrist and therefore away from sweat.

Years ago I bought a Tag Heur 'homage' off a mate for a tenner, automatic, see thru back, stainless case the lot, I9 had it for at least 5 years and it even kept decent time before I went swimming in it, not sure if the seals failed or I failed to screw the crown down correctly, anyway it was US after that

You got five good years out of your Tag Heur homage. That is pretty good. No matter how cheap or expensive a watch is. You probably will eventually have to take it in to servicing where they change the rubber gaskets and pressure tested it again. A servicing for a real Rolex Submariner at a authorized Rolex deal is like $500. The cost of a good watch too. That is why you use it and enjoy cheap watch, then get another one. Alway nice getting a nice new watch anyway.

Last edited:

Earl Grey Tea Drinker

New in Town
Keeping accurate time on a automatic mechanical watch is not a big deal to me like most people. If you have a rotating diving bezel on your watch you can adjust it to the real time as your watch gains or loses time anyway. The only thing I worry about is water resistant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21