Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Humidor Recommendations

ortega76

Practically Family
I need to replace my humidor- it is several years old and a pretty inexpensive model from a humidor/cigar combo from an on-line retailer. Any recommendations for a good humidor, 50-100 cigar capacity?

RedPop4

One Too Many
What, exactly, are you looking for Ortega? You looking for a pretty desktop? Are you looking for something much more utilitarian, just to hold your cigars? What's your budget?

These are all factors to consider when deciding on this sort of thing.

rbbrock

Familiar Face
www.cheaphumidors.com is well regarded on a cigar forum I frequent as a source for decent, budget-minded humidors. Get a digital hygrometer and humidity beads (I prefer the 65%) from www.heartfeltindustries.com to go with it, salt test the hygro to make sure it's set right, and you'll never have a humidity-related problem with your stash.

For extremely tight budgets, go with a big tupperware container. If you do this, it is even more important to use a calibrated digital hygro and beads, though, because the tupperware cannot buffer humidity like a wood humidor does.

rbbrock

Familiar Face
RedPop4 said:
Viper139 (from Heartfelt) is a good guy with a great reputation.

Don't forget a cooler, but if he wants a nice looking humi, they won't do.

Viper is awesome! Also, coolers do work excellently, except that using one as a humi encourages one's hoarding instinct! (I.e. I have one; it's full. ;) ) On the plus side, one can get some great age on one's cigars by purchasing "far too many" of them...

ortega76

Practically Family
I'm looking for a 50-100 capacity humidor (closer to 50) under $200. I rarely have more than 2 bundles to store, as I limit my smoking to perhaps 4 or 5 per week. My current humidor is one of the very nice-looking but poorly performing cheapies that came from a Christmas present (a humidor and cigar bundle gift set). Thanks for the link to www.cheaphumidors.com ! I think that may be a good bet.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are nice vintage ones on eBay all the time.
Some are not so practical, others are quite nice
both for looks and function. With modern humidification,
they offer the vintage aesthetic with today's
function, at bargain prices.

People have been smoking cigars at home
successfully for quite a long time.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
ortega76 said:
I'm looking for a 50-100 capacity humidor (closer to 50) under $200. I rarely have more than 2 bundles to store, as I limit my smoking to perhaps 4 or 5 per week. My current humidor is one of the very nice-looking but poorly performing cheapies that came from a Christmas present (a humidor and cigar bundle gift set). Thanks for the link to www.cheaphumidors.com ! I think that may be a good bet.
Cigarinternational had some nice ones too.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Try doing what the vintage folks do....thrift stores, flea markets, ebay, and get an old one.

I have a friend on Cigar Weekly who finds old ones, and refurbishes them. He refinishes the outsides, and he puts new Spanish cedar on the insides, usually. They're gorgeous, and usually in your size range. But he charges a bit for them, usually the same price as new in a retail outlet. They're beautiful, though.

RedPop4

One Too Many
He's posted one today at CW.

I have a 1920s desktop in original lightly refurbished condition. I have cleaned it and done a little work to bring back the original finish. The interior has the original milk glass lining. The hardware is original nickel plate. The lock functions smoothly with a replacement key. The seal is provided by chamois leather wrapped around the lid cedar strips. It's the original stuff and still supple. Dimensions are 12" x 8" x 5". They don't come much nicer!
Here's the photo link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24711846@N08/sets/72157604813313087/
$100 + Actual shipping.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
I'll check but I think I may have gotten this Art Deco desktop off of Cheap humidors.com. i really like it.
P1011211-1.jpg

RedPop4 said:
He's posted one today at CW.

Holy Crimony! I've got one of those! I use it to throw my change in. :eusa_doh: It used to be my great-grandfather's.
I've had it since I was about ten so it just took the picture to get me to realize its a humidor. I didn't know he smoked cigars but it wouldn't surprise me. Hmmmmm..... I could use the extra space actually. :D

anon`

One Too Many
Wow... could've sworn I responded to this thread once...

Anyway, no matter. I'd be really leery of buying a vintage humidor without being able to play with it first. A lot of vintage humidors are pretty useless and don't seal for bunk. Something to check on before paying down cash.

That said, I've got a Daniel Marshall B-stock whose flaw I've never been able to find. It's brilliant, probably holds 75-100 sticks of my preferred size and has gobs of dividers with a tray. Seals beautifully and keeps everything nice and, err, humid. I think I paid $350 for it, complete with digital hygrometer. Really couldn't be more pleased with it.

Not vintage, but who wants to lose a box of Padilla Signature 1932 belicosos to arid apartment air? =)

ortega76

Practically Family
I ended up getting 2 humidors at Cheaphumidors.com! A nice size 75-100 cigar piece for home and a very small desktop unit for work. Thanks for all the tips, fellas.

Eduard

Familiar Face
My house is pretty old and has several wall closets. One of these closets I have modified a bit so I can use it as a huge humidor. There's more than enough space for 3000 cigars. I will put some photo's online to show you...

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Eduard said:
My house is pretty old and has several wall closets. One of these closets I have modified a bit so I can use it as a huge humidor. There's more than enough space for 3000 cigars. I will put some photo's online to show you...

Please do. I'd love to see that. I have a closet I'm considering for just such a conversion.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Cuban Crafters

Sorry for being late to the party Ortega, but here is where I got my humidors from - Cuban Crafters. I have two of the Arte Original style and they are fabulous looking as well as exceptionally functional.

CIGAR-HUMIDOR-ORIGINAL-HUMIDORS-FOR-CIGARS-ROSEWOOD-450.jpg

I also have their special cigar scissors which are awesome.

CIGAR-CUTTER-REVOLUCION-CIGAR-SCISSORS-450.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy