Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hung out with the Tuskegee Airmen..

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey you guys I wanted to tell you folks about last evening. My 5 year old son and I went to a free screening at the Magnolia theater in Dallas, of the '95 movie The Tuskegee Airmen starring a host of well known actors - Lawrence Fishburn, Cuba Gooding Jr, John Lithgow, Malcolm Jamal Warner, etc.. This event was put on by a local talk radio station to help celebrate Black History month. It's a great movie for those interested in WWII air battles as well as the African-American struggles. The best part was that actual members of the squadren were in attendance. They spoke for about an hour and a half before the movie started, telling the audience all about their experiences, taking questions and pictures and signing things. There was also a caucation Bomber pilot that spoke of how he and his crew always felt well protected by this group of men "the red tails". It was a great evening that gave me an opportunity to start educating my young son on the sins of racism. Their story is pretty remarkable and I recommend seeing this movie if possible.

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
I did get a couple of snap shots of the men but none with me or my son and them - I realized after it was too late that that was a big mistake :( . They gave folks an opportunity to go down to meet them (and take pictures) but so many people went down that we just held off. We did shake some hands before the event too but it was a little akward, no one had their cameras out then. Good times tho!

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy