Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a woman's help

EDSLocklear

New in Town
I was born with eczema, and I really am sick to death of it. I tried Cetaphil, that did nothing, and I even try a bunch of skin crap my mom has because I am desperate. All it does is soften the skin, and I feel it is getting worse by the day.

So, do you ladies have any advice for a troubled teen? I only need cosmetic help because, unless I have grown used to it over the years, it doesn't hurt.
Oh, and some weight loss advice wouldn't hurt, or at least some to maintain it until I am about 20. and it is considered "normal weight", I feel my weight also affects the eczema.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad your eczema doesn't hurt you, though I imagine it must be irritating.

You may have tried Proactiv before, but if you haven't, I highly recommend it. I had awful skin as a teen, and it really helped me. You don't even need to use the treatment twice a day like they say to - Once a day will suffice, especially if you have any skin sensitivity.

I'm in my early 20's now, and I have no skin problems anymore :)

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
My advice is see a dr or dermatologist. It might not be eczema, there's a whole host of skin complaints that it could be & each need different treatment. I always found that mild (1%) hydrocortisone creams can help (on a short term basis).

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Have you been tested for allergies? I had it my whole life, sometimes REALLY bad, until my doctor suggested allergy testing. I found that I was allergic to dairy and once I cut it out of my diet, it went away. Have you tried herbal remedies? I used to use cream that had cedar oil and that helped a lot.

EDSLocklear

New in Town
I have no allergies, and my doctor told me I have it.
Ill try herbal remedies and proactiv, and see what can clear it up.

Thank you, ladies!

SheBear74

Practically Family
My husband as eczema as well and he uses Aveeno baby lotion everyday to help keep it under control. My son uses the neutrogena (same ingredients as pro-active) and it works well for him. As for weight management I would just steer clear of processed foods. Eat lots of meats, veggies, fruits, dairy and whole grains (it's kind of the low processed carb type thing, but no don't eat a pound of bacon! lol) and make sure your getting enough water. I do know that apple cidar vinegar is good for flushing toxins from your system (and many other benifits) drink a couple teaspoons of that a day mixed with apple juice. Make sure you get the kind with the "mother" in the bottom (it looks like this cloudy stuff in the bottom).

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Good advice from SheBear, cutting down on processed foods is a must. I have psoriasis, while obvious not Eczema, we're in a similar ballpark. I use a herbal rememdy my sister sends me from Italy and it has done wonders. I also use Aveeno products which i heartily recommend.

Smumo

New in Town
I was going to suggest this too, only I found out I was intolerant to gluten. My skin cleared up and I lost weight as soon as I modified my diet. Gluten intolerance won't be picked up on a standard allergy test, it has a special blood test. You have to be eating gluten when you get tested though because it looks for the anti-bodies your body creates as a reaction.

If you're sure nothing in your diet is causing it, then I would try to visit a dermatologist to get some better face stuff.

As far as diet tips, my best one is to try to cut down on "empty calories" by not drinking sodas (drink water, or even tea) and by making sure your snacks are actually needed/filling. An apple is more filling than a bag of chips for instance. Also, if you do have a treat only eat the serving size. It's really super easy to eat more than 3 or 4 servings in a session if you're not paying attention!

hellsbellslolly

Familiar Face
Eczema can be really unpleasant, I hope you're okay. I had it as a child as a reaction to allergies to dairy/gluten/eggs my son also has flare ups too, although they're caused by artifical additives and preservatives. Do you have any allergies?
There are brands out there, like Oil of Latum that you can pop into your bath too soothe your skin, and aqueous cream that can be used as a soap substitute. When its really bad has the doctor ever given you any-thing? We are given over here a steroid cream (hydracortisone), that has to be used sparingly but it clears up painful eczema you literally only use it for a few days at a time and then have a break. Although that is usually prescribed. Sanex is a good brand or E45 and even Simple is quite helpful. I believe neutrogena make a very good foundation for sensitive skin. Clinique do a several step guide, for your face, cleanser toners etc and if you get a consulation they can tailor it to your skin type. I quite liked aloe vera gel, keep it in the fridge and it not only nourishes the skin but it hydrates it. I did for a time when my hands were really bad, sleep in cotton gloves filled with cream. To stop me itching in my sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats