Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to be a hatmaker

Kevin Tjoe

New in Town
Yeah, as the title implied, i wanted to be a hatmaker. And i just found this forum of ladies and gentlemen whom i hope know a thing or more about making a hat and it would be nice if any of you would to share some knowledge or wisdom for me. Thanks dearly

emigran

Practically Family
-get old hats and tear them apart to learn about how they were put together
- apprentice under an accomplished hatter for as long as possible
-be prepared to make thousands of mistakes and to suck at pouncing and sewing for a very long time

have fun

I'd venture that you are even more than correct, Ant...and I'd like to be a ______________, too...
Seriously, good luck to you , Sir...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yeah, as the title implied, i wanted to be a hatmaker. And i just found this forum of ladies and gentlemen whom i hope know a thing or more about making a hat and it would be nice if any of you would to share some knowledge or wisdom for me. Thanks dearly

I can say from everything we have learned about hats and what a person does to make a hat...wow....I do not think just anyone can handle making a hat. Seriously it takes some time and dedication. Oh yes...you will need a bit of extra cash to purchase all the items...hat blocks and tools and flanges and leather sweatbands and sewing machines.....ribbon...string, a rounding jack, sand bags, sand paper, razor blades for your rounding jack. I would guess to do hats properly you could with ease need to spend a few thousand dollars almost instantly and then find out you still need some specialty "goodies" in the way of more hatter's tools. Can you sew by hand? Can you sew using a machine?

It would be great if you do tackle this desire and then progress with it. Just letting you know there is a lot to it that you may not already be thinking about.

have fun

But for God's sake, do this with old beater hats. Please do not tear up a classic piece for learning purposes.

I can say from everything we have learned about hats and what a person does to make a hat...wow....I do not think just anyone can handle making a hat. Seriously it takes some time and dedication. Oh yes...you will need a bit of extra cash to purchase all the items...hat blocks and tools and flanges and leather sweatbands and sewing machines.....ribbon...string, a rounding jack, sand bags, sand paper, razor blades for your rounding jack. I would guess to do hats properly you could with ease need to spend a few thousand dollars almost instantly and then find out you still need some specialty "goodies" in the way of more hatter's tools. Can you sew by hand? Can you sew using a machine?

It would be great if you do tackle this desire and then progress with it. Just letting you know there is a lot to it that you may not already be thinking about.

This is undoubtedly true, but when you're on the steep part of the learning curve, I think the basics are all that's necessary. A good block and a couple of flanges, a needle and thread, and maybe a rounding jack for brim cutting. Everything else can be finessed until you get better at it.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thrift store cowboy hats are good to practice on!
I have fixed up a bunch of old hats, and even made a few for my own amusement. I made or improvised most of my equipment with decent results, but if I had the opportunity to do it over I think I may have just saved up to buy antique blocks and other tools. Pro gear does make the job go easier.
But then, I did enjoy gaining the woodworking skills and solving new challenges...
my advice...get (or make) the basics, block and flange in your size, a rounding jack, a vessel the right size for a naptha bath if you are starting with thrift store and yard sale fodder (research first of course to make sure you aren't ripping apart a vintage treasure) and see if all the effort is worth the reward before investing large scale. If you have been in a hatter's shop or seen pics, you can see how quickly you can go broke buying equipment. Think a block for every size, style, degree of taper, crown height...then there's a flange for every brim width, style....you get the picture.
also, search te forum and you will find some tutorials on sewing sweats, binding brims, and the Photos of Hatter's Tools thread will show you ll the stuff you may or may not need, but will probably want anyway if the bug has bitten you deep.
also, check around, some Loungers sell high quality leather sweatbands instead of the reconstituted crud ones sold online on milliner's sites, and real cotton-rayon ribbon makes all the difference...sources for each have been discussed at length.
Don't forget to have fun and post pics!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
- apprentice under an accomplished hatter for as long as possible
-be prepared to make thousands of mistakes and to suck at pouncing and sewing for a very long time

have fun
Yes all the above but dont get discouraged...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thrift store cowboy hats are good to practice on!
I have fixed up a bunch of old hats, and even made a few for my own amusement. I made or improvised most of my equipment with decent results, but if I had the opportunity to do it over I think I may have just saved up to buy antique blocks and other tools. Pro gear does make the job go easier.
But then, I did enjoy gaining the woodworking skills and solving new challenges...
my advice...get (or make) the basics, block and flange in your size, a rounding jack, a vessel the right size for a naptha bath if you are starting with thrift store and yard sale fodder (research first of course to make sure you aren't ripping apart a vintage treasure) and see if all the effort is worth the reward before investing large scale. If you have been in a hatter's shop or seen pics, you can see how quickly you can go broke buying equipment. Think a block for every size, style, degree of taper, crown height...then there's a flange for every brim width, style....you get the picture.
also, search te forum and you will find some tutorials on sewing sweats, binding brims, and the Photos of Hatter's Tools thread will show you ll the stuff you may or may not need, but will probably want anyway if the bug has bitten you deep.
also, check around, some Loungers sell high quality leather sweatbands instead of the reconstituted crud ones sold online on milliner's sites, and real cotton-rayon ribbon makes all the difference...sources for each have been discussed at length.
Don't forget to have fun and post pics!

AMEN !!!!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
But for God's sake, do this with old beater hats. Please do not tear up a classic piece for learning purposes.

This is undoubtedly true, but when you're on the steep part of the learning curve, I think the basics are all that's necessary. A good block and a couple of flanges, a needle and thread, and maybe a rounding jack for brim cutting. Everything else can be finessed until you get better at it.
Yes I am sure for some it may be that way. I can tell you I am not a person that sews fast....but I did learn from Daniel and our Cobbler whom is a Master Shoe Maker that retired from making shoes (custom order) at the Shaw Shoe Factory that was not far from where we all live, on how to replace and hand sew and trim a new sole and heels with leather on shoes. And we have many videos to guide the step by step on how to do it the right way...It is a mad ordeal to go through...mad I tell ya Mad! SO to think about making a hat! OH NO! Not going to happen here...nope. I flat out suck at sewing ribbons on a hat. I have to use a two needle application to do shoe soles properly and it is murder on my hands to do so...MURDER! Then to take a knife to "cut" and shape the soles...to trim that leather down to conform with the existing welt shape and "last" is a real nightmare! A weeks worth of on and off again time wise to sew and complete that by hand....so yes Hats can be made by someone on as you say a "learning curve" but I know not everyone is going to catch on making hats just as not everyone is going to catch on to replacing a sole or making a leather heel for a pair of shoes or boots from scratch! Good luck doing it! Love a hatter who makes a great hat!

humanshoes

One Too Many
Persistence, patience, eye for detail, desire for excellence, sense of style, willingness to do your homework, and a sense of humor are a few of the other tools you will need that money cannot buy. All the rest is just hardware. The world needs more hatmakers and fewer troublemakers. Remember, once you can do it you can do it, and you can always learn to do it better, but all the fun is in the journey. Good luck in your most worthy endeavors.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
My best advise , jump in and find out if it is a "true love". If it is, then everything will come to you as needed and as you are ready. I worked on hats for 15 yrs before opening myself up to the public and it was the best thing I could have done. I already knew that doing the work gave me inner peace if not much money. Yes, plan on staying broke for a very long time. There is ALWAYS another piece of equipment that will allow you to make better hats and I assume, that's the goal. Persistence is helpful as mistakes are plenty, even after 25 yrs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda