Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identifying early hats by sweatband: A Guide

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's a quick guide to identifying earlier (pre 1940s) American hats by their sweatbands.

In the ebay thread, I posted this list of elements which can be used for dating.

-Reeded vs. Unreeded
- Type of reeding used
-Type of stitching and fineness of stitching used on the sweatband
- texture of the leather used on the sweatband
-Color of sweatband
-width of the sweatband
- embossing on the edges of the sweatband
- depth, clarity, style and color of markings on the sweatband
- taped vs. sewn rear seam
- style of size tag
-style of bow at the rear of the sweatband
------------------------------------------

Reeding:

Reeded Sweatband
IMG_4512.jpg

Note that the stitching on the sweatband is VVVVVV , which was not seen much on later sweatbands. This was not the only way that reeded sweatbands were sewn, however. The IIIIIII stitching, more common later, was also seen just as frequently, but generally, on older hats, the stitching is much closer together.

IMG_4666.jpg

Unreeded Sweatband

Unreeded sweatbands were more common on hats of this era, but WERE still seen much later. An unreeded sweatband is not a guarantee of an older hat. I've seen them used on vintage hats of all price ranges, from super-cheap wool felt, to top dollar ones. Unreeded sweatbands do not necessarily reflect quality.
IMG_4591.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Colors on 1920s and 1930s sweatbands ranged from very dark brown to almost white. It's not like the switch from brown to black sweatbands which occurred (depending on the manufacturer) in the late 1950s- 1960s.

bd5e_1.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

182722384_o.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4591.jpg

TM-HAT.jpg

Reactions: Uhu

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nicely done Dman. Do you find that earlier sweats were thinner and wider?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Embossing on sweatband edge

At the top edge of most later hats, you will either see a smooth embossed line, or a IIIIIIIIIIII line. On earlier hats, the embossing was typically wider and/or deeper. Some, especially derbies, had rolled edges.

Rolled top edge on a Disney
IMG_3412.jpg

rolled edge from the back - Stetson
IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

Top of sweatband embossing.

DSC05561.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

notice how the embossing at the top is different from later sweatbands like the one below? How the embossed line is wider, deeper, and causes more of a convex shape to the piece above it?

IMG_2871.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Taped vs. Stitched rear sweatband seams

Taped- this is generally what is seen
DSC05562.jpg

IMG_4592-1.jpg

yes that blue color is correct
IMG_9568.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

Stitched

c1934-1937 Stetson showing stitched sweatband seam

Also interesting to note about this stetson: edge embossing is of the later style. Remember- rules do not hold true for all hats for all details
IMG_4309.jpg

DOUGLAS

Afew more sweats
Portis
DSCN4831.jpg

Open Road
DSCN5279.jpg

Playboy
DSCN5227.jpg

Boss Raw Edge
of50332443-17.jpg

The Avenue
DSCN3532.jpg

Week-Ender
DSCN3677.jpg

Stetson #1
DSCN4062.jpg

DSCN4059.jpg

DSCN4061.jpg

The Royal Stetson
DSCN4997.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
DOUGLAS said:
Nicely done Dman. Do you find that earlier sweats were thinner and wider?

I do. The leather is thinner and softer than on later hats, and wider, that is it extends further towards the crown. I find that it makes for a more comfortable hat.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Just want to toss this example into the mix -- a non-reeded sweat with reed tape sewn on, with the sweat stitched through the reed tape (as described by Mr. Art Fawcett). The johnnyphi auctions feature numerous examples of this method of attaching the sweat, dating from the 1940-ish timeframe:

TheAvenue.jpg

More on this method in this thread.

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
I do. The leather is thinner and softer than on later hats, and wider, that is it extends further towards the crown. I find that it makes for a more comfortable hat.

Dinerman - thanks for sharing. The following hat seemed a little odd - sweatband is almost 2" with the orange lining behind it even wider. I don't know the terminology for it all, but apart from the vvvv stitching, then the read, there just seems to be a mess of stitching for a hat band. Can you enlighten me on what's going on with this band? History on the hat says it's probably 40's to early '50s.

PortisStitch.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
ScottF said:
Dinerman - thanks for sharing. The following hat seemed a little odd - sweatband is almost 2" with the orange lining behind it even wider. I don't know the terminology for it all, but apart from the vvvv stitching, then the read, there just seems to be a mess of stitching for a hat band. Can you enlighten me on what's going on with this band? History on the hat says it's probably 40's to early '50s.

That date looks about right. The orange lining is to keep sweat from soaking through or going around the sweatband into the felt- so that the outside ribbon doesn't stain. The reed tape is sewn to the felt in the same manner as an unreeded sweatband, typically a '40s thing- you started seeing it early '40s, and it all but disappeared early '50s.
As to why they did it this way, I can only speculate.

Here's a '50s portis with the same protective layer. Later sweatband logo and different reeding.
IMG_4472.jpg

Look at the thread posted by jimmythelid for more hats with that type of reeding stitching method

DOUGLAS

Many hats have "that" material behind the sweat. I have heard it called a sweat shield or onion skin. It is place to protect the felt from sweat that penetrates the leather. I have it on a few pocket Borsalinos that have grosgrain ribbon for a sweat band as well.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Good idea for a thread. :eusa_clap Here's my contribution,.and a question it raises.
This is the sweatband from a Yale derby I recently acquired. The second derby to recently pass through my hands in good condition. Both hats, the other a Stetson and this Yale, seem to have pigskin leather sweatbands. Judging by the appearance of the grain.
Was this common in older hats,..say before the 1920's?
derbysweatband.jpg
[/IMG]

Ebayhats.jpg
[/IMG]

kaosharper1

One Too Many
DOUGLAS said:
Many hats have "that" material behind the sweat. I have heard it called a sweat shield or onion skin. It is place to protect the felt from sweat that penetrates the leather. I have it on a few pocket Borsalinos that have grosgrain ribbon for a sweat band as well.

When would this type of onionskin be used? I have Wormser Texan with this onionskin behind the sweatband (and over the logo on the top of the crown) and the sweat is unreeded. I've wondered about the dating, but no one seems to know much about Wormsers.

DOUGLAS

I had Wormser hat that had an unreeded sweat with the onion skin behind it. It was a beautiful hat and as soft as all..... unfortunately it did not fit by a lot so it was passed. I believe the onion skin and the crown shield would be of different materials although i could be wrong. I have seen some behind the sweat that are thicker and colored to translucent amber and super thin.
Dobbs Westward
DSCN4922.jpg

see the material just above the sweat.
another more amber on a mallory
DSCN4853.jpg

one from a Stetson twenty dated 1945
DSCN3895.jpg

one more Stetson
DSCN4990.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Good idea for a thread. :eusa_clap Here's my contribution,.and a question it raises.
This is the sweatband from a Yale derby I recently acquired. The second derby to recently pass through my hands in good condition. Both hats, the other a Stetson and this Yale, seem to have pigskin leather sweatbands. Judging by the appearance of the grain.
Was this common in older hats,..say before the 1920's?
This seems to be something you saw commonly prior to the 30s. They seem to have held up well- I wonder what the reasoning was for the changeover.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
This seems to be something you saw commonly prior to the 30s. They seem to have held up well- I wonder what the reasoning was for the changeover.
A shortage of pig skins?? [huh] Pig skin was then starting to be used exclusively for footballs?? lol

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
Week-Ender
DSCN3677.jpg

Douglas -- do you have any more info on the Week-ender in terms of dating that lid? (I'm guessing 1940-ish). I have a Stratoliner heading my way with the same perforations in the sweat (although this one is reeded):

StratSweat-1.jpg

Anyone have any other observations about how common this kind of sweat was in Stetson lids? Dates that it might have been in use? etc.?

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot