Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
arthur said:
Oh my God so Rita Hayworth,...There was something kind of vulnerable and a girl next door(if the girl next door was smokin hot) quality to her in that movie mixed with the classic femme fatale that just cooks my giblets.:p

If that's the girl next door, I gotta' find that neighborhood! lol

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic:
I'm new to this so bear with me. As retro-minded men do you still prefer the way modern women dress to vintage? My guess is no considering who your favorite stars are :) but can you maybe articulate as to why modern people might find women in vintage unattractive? This comes off of a bad experience I had yesterday with some teenage boys who called me something extremely disgusting and rude and I've been feeling sort of bewildered by it all.

Thanks!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Marzipan said:
I'm new to this so bear with me. As retro-minded men do you still prefer the way modern women dress to vintage? My guess is no considering who your favorite stars are :) but can you maybe articulate as to why modern people might find women in vintage unattractive? This comes off of a bad experience I had yesterday with some teenage boys who called me something extremely disgusting and rude and I've been feeling sort of bewildered by it all.

Thanks!

What an unpleasant experience for you and completely senseless.

The only thing I can think of as to why these young people go on the way they do is maybe due to the fact that the current teenage generation are so saturated with crass oversexualised filth in the media/entertainment that anything different is beyond their comprehension. I don't think they "get" a woman dressed in a ladylike manner - they probably only "get" overtight clothes with bra/g-strings showing and tons of flesh exposed.

All I can say is that I'm so glad to not be growing up right now and came from a generation that had a childhood and a very innocent childhood at that.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
I know. I feel like I'm out of my time. I feel connected with Victorian up to the 50's. I like the music of the 60's because it was so revolutionary and important politically but also, I feel like they should have kept on jamming while wearing petticoats. Haha!

Imagine Joni in a circle skirt... meow.lol

Flivver

Practically Family
Marzipan said:

Thanks!

I grew up in the 1950s when women dressed in a very feminine manner and men wore hats and ties for most activities.

I'm not a fan of modern fashions and really appreciate seeing a woman dressed traditionally. I guess most younger guys don't like a traditional look simply because they're not used to it.

Stick to your guns and dress the way you want to. Teenagers were put on this earth to torment everybody and everything they come in contact with that's different from *them*.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Marzipan said:

Thanks!

Teenagers hate everything! :rage: I've seen photos that the ladies of the Lounge have posted of themselves and I have to say that I wish that all women dressed that way. ;) There are some "real tomatos" on this site, and judging by your avatar, you are one of them.:whistling

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Thanks! That outfit probably wasn't the greatest for my figure and my hair was kind of wonky so your compliment is appreciated. Hee.

Mary

Practically Family
Right now, I'd pick Eva Henning. This is from the movie "Girl with Hyacints" where she is a very idealistic girl with subdued feelings leading a lonely life.
126.jpg

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
If I were a man, I would definitely pick Myrna Loy! She wasn't necessarily the most glamourous woman of the golden era, but she was beautiful, smart, articulate, witty and politically active.

Annex-LoyMyrna_02-1.jpg

As a straight female, though, I have to toss in my two favourites... Gregory Peck and Peter O'Toole. Naturally, I love William Powell, too.

gregory-peck-004-img.jpg

peter_otoole.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I'm not an expert in these things,but to my eye Louise Brooks hat it all; perfect face and perfect body, the ultimate 1920s flapper!

LouiseBrooks.jpg

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
A bit off topic

I'm probably going to sound lame or like I'm throwing off the vibe of this thread but...to be honest I probably wouldn't pick any girl from then. The girl of my dreams is from the here and now and I have eyes for only her.

You may now proceed to laugh at me or call me stupid or completely ignor me, haha.

Plus-Four

New in Town
have a laugh

WinoJunko: i agree, 'modern' ladies can be as cute as the 'vintage' ones. And i am not laughing at you.:rolleyes: I can appreciate modern ladies or girls in handsome clothing. But a little bit feminine please.
In this thread it's about the vintage ladies. So let's add some more photographs.

Marzipan: you are cute too! In modern clothing or not.

ziegfield.jpg

Plus-Four.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy