Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could spend one day/night in the Roaring 20's/Golden Era what would you do?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I know one stop I'd make.

2578934170_1af767c439.jpg

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to get out and see the sights. Go attend a few social gatherings, a few live music events, and just be out and about to see all the cool things of the era: the cars, the hats, whatever really.

I certainly wouldn't get any homework done that day...

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
In the 20's? I'd rouge my knees and roll my stockings down...and all that jazz!

:p

In the 30s/40s...Well, I'd go looking for Jimmy Stewart and take him dancing.....

(after an afternoon of lessons from Fred Astaire!)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'd see Babe Ruth play at the Yankee Stadium (that's how they said it in those days) and maybe take in Louis Armstrong or Bix Beiderbecke in the evening. Also a Gershwin or Cole Porter musical might be nice.

Drew B

One of the Regulars
Am I allowed to bring things back?

I might get some hats

or a car.

or even just nick a nice building .... or person.

I'd probably just go to a bar and meet people. "Hi, I'm from a local rag, just profiling bars and the like". Get some good stories. Oh and dance with a cute girlie.

Actually, I don't think anyone would really fit in. As much as we love the era there would still be a culture barrier.

But its one night, live it up i guess.

Oh and mess with the Spacetime Continuum just for a laugh.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
I'd definitely go to the Riviera and hang out with the Gerald Murphys! I'm sure Zelda would be there!

Or I might go to Bloomsbury and knock on Vanessa Bell's door.

Minerva

Familiar Face
I'd go see my family's speakeasy in New Orleans. Somehow no one has any photos and I'd love to see it.

Oh, and even if it's in the wrong sort of neighbourhood for a woman who's not in that line of work, I'd run really fast past my great-great-uncle's 'establishment' in Storyville. Again, the lack of photos ... like we have fine, upstanding, and respectable ancestors (and near cousins) or something. lol

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
Assuming that I can't bring anything back with me...

I'd eat at a few small diners and lunch counters, catch a matinee or two at one of the downtown cinemas, spend the early evening in the Press Club, talking to as many Winnipeg Tribune reporters as I can...

Knowing me, I'd probably spend a lot of time wandering around, trying to see how much of the city I'd recognize.

JoePreppyPauper

New in Town
One Night in the Golden Age

I would love to don the white tie and tails and go to some swanky night spot like the Stork Club or Cotton Club. Hopefully one of my hero/legends like Ella Fitzgerald would be playing. Wow, this fantasy sounds like an out-take from "The Purple Rose of Cairo"!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Heya, new here, but this thread looked interesting.

I'd most definitely get someone to teach me the Charleston and other dances.Buy a ciggie holder, and get a bob. I'd probably also get a garter flask (is that what they were called?) and have a nip, even though I don't drink, just to say I did.lol

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rub out 'Snorkey' Capone and 'The Enforcer' Nitti before they ever got a chance to get started. Then, of course, zip back to 21st Century Senora before the boys could fit me for cement overshoes!

-dixon 'the eraser' cannon

Imahomer

Practically Family
I think I'd try to track down my Grandfather. I never had a chance to meet him and he had been in the country (from France) for some time in the 20's.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And after I solved the Chicago mob problem...

I'd make sure I was a Paris' Le Bourget Airport at 10:22 PM on 21 May, 1927 to see the arrival of 'Lucky' Lindy in the Spirit of St. Louis. That had to be spectacular!

-Dixon 'aeronaut' Cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy