Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could spend one day/night in the Roaring 20's/Golden Era what would you do?

RBH

Bartender
Brinybay said:
I would spy on my family in the 20s. Great Grandparents (both sides) and were already dead, but paternal Grandpa was in his mid-40s and Dad and Mom were little kids. I never knew my maternal Grandparents, and only remember my paternal grandparents after they were elderly and Grandpa had long since grayed, but I was told he had flaming red hair and beard like his father did. That gene hasn't appeared yet in our family, so sometimes I wonder. But I don't see it in any nearby cousins either.
I am with you!!!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
nice question. I can't believe I missed it.

I would spend a few days if I could but I would accept one. I would go back to 1946 and go to a library and read that days newspaper, go to a newsstand and buy a "new" pulp, grab a bite a diner and then go to the movies. That would be enough for me.
I wouldn't have to bring anything back but memories. Maybe an original magazine or fresh currency would be nice.
I wouldn't want to stay though.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Dreaming big

Well kids, if we're going to dream, I'm dreaming big!

6:00AM Go over to MGM and have Adrian and his team whip me up a wardrobe to die for, and while they're at it, get my hair done by Syndey Guillaroff (sp).

10:00AM Shop at Bullock's Wilshire; pick up a riding habit at the equestrian shop, some candy, and a hostess gift for the party later.

12:30PM Lunch with the girls at the Southern California Assistance League Fountain Court Tea Room. Say hello to Lucille (Ball) who works there.

2:00PM Horseback riding in the Hills with Gloria (Swanson).

5:30PM Relax at home at the Trianon for a bit, soak in a tub, dress for dinner.

8:00PM Dinner party at Mr. Oviatt's penthouse.

11:59 PM Check into Ambassador Hotel, because at Midnight my apartment building becomes the Scientology Celebrity Centre. Oh, the Ambassador's demolished. Check into the Hollywood Hotel then. Oh wait, that's gone too...Is Mr. Oviatt married yet? Perhaps I could get invited to use their guestroom.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn said:
I'd most definitely get someone to teach me the Charleston and other dances.

You can do that now. (oh wait, Mike in Seattle already responded to this.) I would smuggle back a Sports Almanac a la Marty McFly in Back to the Future. Also I would have liked to have met and hung out with Langston Hughes.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, boy, so much to do....

I'd want to contact my long deceased grandparents and great grandparents to solve some genealogical mysteries in my family. As was said earlier, the absense of that 1890 census has put some big gaps in our family's knowledge of who was living, who died, who was never born and was a census taker's mistake, who was what age. Etc.

I'd want to just walk around and look at the world as it was then. Would love to see some great performances, on Broadway, or in the jazz clubs, eat in a famous NY restaurant, buy some cheap stocks and let them sit when I fast-forward myself to the future.

If I could return to, say, about 1926, I would buy a doll and give it to my then 7-year-old mother who never had a toy in her childhood and wanted very much to have a doll.

Hey, maybe that wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe she'd have gotten her nuturing instincts out of her system and delayed marrying and having a baby. Then, I wouldn't be here.

One has to be careful what one does back then.

karol

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
You would have my undying thanks for that! Who knew the loss of one census schedule could cause so many problems?

Diamondback said:
Oh, and arrange for a copy of the complete 1890 Census before it burned.

(EDIT for non-genealogists: there was only one copy of the 1890 Census, as opposed to three for every other due to its more expensive and "advanced" format--most of it was lost in a fire, and what wasn't burned was disposed of shortly thereafter. And since sometimes the census and households are all you got to find oyur ancestors, that 20-year hole from 1880-1900 is enough time for people to just disappear, or to be unable to find a given individual's parent's at all...)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Let's see, day in the past eh? Well, I'd start off in the morning, buying a nice suit... the kind most of us men dream about! Maybe a blue/green "Palm Beach" suit, double breasted with a fancy back... patch pockets and all that! Buy some shoes, a nice hat and some ties... oh and shirts... lots of shirts!

Then, I'd head off to the fair! The 1939 World's Fair in NY of course! I'd dance the day and night away to the many bands that played in the "Amusement" area... then, I'd take a ride around the place and see many different exhibits in all the pavilions. I'd find my way into NY and check out Glenn Miller playing at the Hotel Pennsylvania, dance some more and then find a way to stay! lol

I'm pretty sure I'd fit in... I'm pretty hep on the lingo, I'd dress right and I'm pretty darn old fashioned. I'd have no problems... other then the fact I'd have to come back.:(

Fun to think about isn’t it?

draws

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
Ummm, remember that '58 Plymouth Belvedere they berried? Yeah, it didn't survive so well.:eusa_doh:
I'd get dressed up in a traditional White Tie and Tails and Top Hat and take my favorite other to a nice night club or ballroom for dancing and romance.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
aeromjoe.jpg

Hop a flight to Havana, Cuba and enjoy the nightlife! ;)

Foofoogal

Banned
Buy every single piece of Tiffany I could get my hands on. A few more choice pieces also. Then take out a huge ad in the paper to tell the people to not put their funds in banks. :) Quit partying and save.

kyda

One of the Regulars
There are a few things that I would want to do : Meet Agatha Christie, see what my grandparents were like as children, buy a heap of clothes, furniture, a house, get a great deal of money and stash it some where safe ( not a bank)spend the day with a very handsome man and the night to. Hey we are there for 24 hours, may as well live it as it was my last.:) :) :) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran