Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could spend one day/night in the Roaring 20's/Golden Era what would you do?

ECHEVALIER

New in Town
FASHION64

WOULD SPEND THE DAY IN HARLEM AND IF IN THE SOUTH, AUBURN AV IN ATLANTA TO VISIT ALL THE JAZZ CLUBS AND HANG OUT WITH ALL THE AFRICAN AMERICAN ENTERTAINERS AND HOT SPOTS.

Chas

One Too Many
1920's - that's easy. Rent an apartment in Montparnasse and try to get lucky with KiKi, get drunk with Henry Miller and pick a fight with Hemingway. I'd sleep with showgirls, hope I don't get syphilis and nurse a lot of hangovers. Whenever I could I'd jump into the car and buzz up to Berlin and do much of the same thing.

1930's: That's a big "IF". If I had money, I'd jump in between Havana, Paris and New York.

1940's: I'm in uniform, fighting facism or militarism. After that, I'm in NYC, with an apt. within spitting distance of 52nd Street.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
MikeBravo said:
First reaction is to head down to the Cotton Club where Basie is playing

A bit of time at the Savoy Ballroom would be neat too

Had another thought, combine the two. Head down to the Savoy Ballroom and dance to Ella and Chick Webb

I would so love to hear that guy drum

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I'd first take all of my money out of my bank account and take a very large suitcase. lol
Ok, Ill go back in time, first go buy lots of suits, hats, overcoats and other clothing, then go buy a car and put it in storage and have the space paid until now. Then hit up The 21 Club in New York and meet my great Grandfather and Grandmother, hopefully we would be raided and I could laugh at the cops. I'll do some other stuff like exploring, then come back. There are to many options for each city... I would love to start a car chase in a brand spanking new Packard!

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars
Night in the 20's

I would go see Babe Ruth as well at Yankee stadium. Then, probably, go buy some stock in a company that still exists today, buy a safe box at a bank in Mahattan that is still around today, prepay it for 100 years. Of course, go to the local mens shop, pick me up a nice new set of threads, shoes, hat, shirt, then shave, hair cut, the works!
Then off to find some supper, catch a show, then hit the clubs! Listen in on some great jazz, and then I would then attempt to find the Babe at a local bar to hang out, I bet you would have one heck of a wing ding hanging with him!
Wow, That would be one great night!

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
I would first get my hair fixed up professionally, buy some dresses, shoes, jewelry and a fantastic set of luggage - then collect as many movie posters, books, tickets and the like to bring back and decorate my house.

Oooh, and spend the night dancing and sipping sidecars in any swing club - maybe Benny Goodmans is playing!

DeCorslee

New in Town
Oh dearest Connee

I'd propose to Connee Boswell on bended knee .... and wait for the slap around the face.

Luv yer Connee.

DeCorslee

Johnny.

New in Town
raiders.jpg

What can I say? I'd dress up as Indy. Pick up a few Idols and Holy Grails along the way while I'm at it, and fight off a few Nazi's in the process. Would be fun.

Max Grody

New in Town
I would run away from the time vortex and travel the nation by car, train, and foot. It would be a great place to experience from nook to metropolis.

If one night, I guess I would have to club hop all over Manhattan or LA.

SwingKid7

New in Town
I'd take my mother and uncle to go see Glenn Miller play at some really wonderful ballroom.
And then I would get to see my mom healthy and young again and able to dance.
And I would have the time of my life!!!

Elaina

One Too Many
20s, I'd go to Waco and hang out with one of my great grandmother's who was a drunk. I'd call her a flapper, but she wasn't one. Waco was rough back then and it would be awesome to see, not to mention I'd love to know her trick of turning a buck into a hundred. The gal could make money.

30-40s I'd go see my dad's Grandma Garnet. She was one of the major pattern makers for Advance, and made suits for Al Capone (a major factor in why I grew up hearing nice things about gangsters. Typically is was "They were monsters but..."), and I'd love to go pick her brain for a day, see all her machines, and learn to do things no one else ever seems to know.

I'd say I wouldn't fit in, but since I come from a line of unusual women who didn't care for convention (sans my grandmother and my sister) I'd be honest about being from the future. Most of the people I'd go meet wouldn't care, the rest of them would think I was pulling their leg...and not care.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
As its only one night in the Roaring 20's, I would bare my teeth and ROAR! :D

I'd roll down my stockings, put on my sparkliest dropped-waist dress, and do the Charleston at a wild speakeasy.

kidboots.jpg

"What, me wild?

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I'd pretty much buy things from each decade of the golden era, clothes, cars, household items etc. as well as experience the different kinds of entertainment like the old Coney Island and movie palaces.

Sarge

One of the Regulars
I would head strength to 139 N. Wabash in Chicago and enjoy an evening of dinner an dance music at The Blackhawk Restaurant. In the late 20's the house band would have been Coon-Sanders and their Kansas City Nighthawks so it would be a great evening.;)

chico-orch9.jpg

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Detroit

I'd go back to Detroit during its heyday in the late 20's earlyu 30's. Catch a Tigers game, hear live big band music at the Graystone, and stay the night at the Book-Cadillac Hotel. That would be a real treat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran