Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you were going to spend 500 on a hat -

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRB

One Too Many
Pompidou,

I bought the exact hat from them, except mine was 2 1/2inch diameter brim. I really liked it very much. It is very soft but not too soft. It has a style of it's own. I style that I like very much, but some don't. The taper of the crown, the low height of the crown, are attractive to me.

However, Borsalino is not the only brand out there that can make such a beautiful hat. I had a hat made just for me. It is an Optimo. I like it better than the Borsalino. It was made according to MY specifications. It has the taper and height of crown that I am hoping to recreate with my future hats.

Art Fawcett also makes a fine hat I understand. I have seen his work here online. It looks fantastic. I have two hats of his on order.

If you want a new hat, I would try Art Fawcett or Optimo. Here are a couple of pictures of the Borsalino Ernesto. Below these pictures are pictures of my Optimo. It is a neptune blue color.

May201002681.jpg

May201002641.jpg

March20100061.jpg

March20100064.jpg

If you really like the Borsalino then buy it. But do consider adding some of the Optimo hats and Art Fawcett's hats in the VERY near future. ;)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pompidou said:
I count myself apparently as one of the few living experts on both Borsalino beaver fedora hats, because I have two of one and one of the other. You linked to the Borsalino Ernesto hat, with a 2 7/8 inch brim, which I just bought a month or so ago from Delmonico. It's really nice, and I did spend the $500 on it. I had been waiting for a wide-brim Borsalino beaver for a long time, and now Delmonico sells it. With Borsalino, you get the best of modern styling, which is what I am paying for. Which other company is a market leader that has to make a product suitable for us in Europe and all over the world? I think they alone have the mantle for setting a worldwide trend and are both creative and careful about what looks good. Yes, the Borsalino beaver hats are pricey, but you get the styling, and in beaver. So I consider it worthwhile.

The other Borsalino beaver fedora, the 2 1/2 inch brim or small brim on the Delmonico site, is what is pictured in the DRB photos. Note that that hat is not the Ernesto. I have two of those (bought one also for my Dad, who passed away). It's very nice, draws compliments, good things about it.

The decision between the two obviously is about how wide a brim you want. You living in Connecticut could just go into Delmonico and try them on. But my answer to your question is, heck yes, it's worth the money, because of the modern styling that Borsalino is experienced at delivering. As long as it works on you, I would feel comfortable going for it.

Personally I don't care much about the "quality" issue. It's the styling that dominates to me. So what if the felt isn't what it was a hundred years ago like a vintage. It's not a football helmet or a tent for the mountains, it's just a hat. If you get the styling you want in today's felt, then what's wrong with that? If I have a choice between buying an open-crown vintage hat of super-duper felt quality, versus buying a modern-styled fedora whose lines I want, I go for the latter. There's always plenty of time to go for the former. And the stock of the Ernesto isn't always in. I missed a shipment a year ago and had to wait another year.

Please note sizing on that hat. I am usually a 57, but when I got the small-brim Ernesto beaver that size was tight. It being one of my first hats I kept it instead of exchange it from Hats.com. Then I bought a 58 for my Dad, his head being larger, and now I find that that fits me well. When I ordered the Ernesto I went directly for the 58. The point of all this is that the leather sweatband affects the Borsalino beaver a lot, and you are herewith tipped off to go a centimeter up when you order it.

Let the abuse begin!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Borsalino Beaver is a really nice hat . Is is worth 475 .00? I think Art makes a better hat at a lower price point but we sell a lot of the Beavers because of the Borsalino name. It looks pretty good too.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Another Nope...

Not when I can get an open crown, hand-crafted custom in the color, crown & brim sizing of my chosing, not some factory creased, limited color selection with a ribbon of dubious styling. No way, not ever....
Plus I'd have over half enough money saved for custom hat #2!!!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
. . . the Borsalino Ernesto hat, with a 2 7/8 inch brim, which I just bought a month or so ago from Delmonico. It's really nice, and I did spend the $500 on it. . . With Borsalino, you get the best of modern styling, which is what I am paying for. Which other company is a market leader that has to make a product suitable for us in Europe and all over the world? I think they alone have the mantle for setting a worldwide trend and are both creative and careful about what looks good. Yes, the Borsalino beaver hats are pricey, but you get the styling, and in beaver. So I consider it worthwhile.
. . .

The decision between the two obviously is about how wide a brim you want. You living in Connecticut could just go into Delmonico and try them on. But my answer to your question is, heck yes, it's worth the money, because of the modern styling that Borsalino is experienced at delivering. As long as it works on you, I would feel comfortable going for it.

Personally I don't care much about the "quality" issue. It's the styling that dominates to me. . . If I have a choice between buying an open-crown vintage hat of super-duper felt quality, versus buying a modern-styled fedora whose lines I want, I go for the latter.
. . .

What always gets me about expensive hats from 'expensive' manufacturers is that the product itself doesnt always justify the price, except for the name attached to it. You stated above, your very self, that quality is not primary, but looks are. Thats fine, but, and please tell me if Im off base here, anyone thats buying a new Borsalino today is paying first for the name. Thats not how I, myself, do things. Looks are important, but the price better match the quality, or its a no-go for me.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
I count myself apparently as one of the few living experts on both Borsalino beaver fedora hats, because I have two of one and one of the other. You linked to the Borsalino Ernesto hat, with a 2 7/8 inch brim, which I just bought a month or so ago from Delmonico. It's really nice, and I did spend the $500 on it. I had been waiting for a wide-brim Borsalino beaver for a long time, and now Delmonico sells it. With Borsalino, you get the best of modern styling, which is what I am paying for. Which other company is a market leader that has to make a product suitable for us in Europe and all over the world? I think they alone have the mantle for setting a worldwide trend and are both creative and careful about what looks good. Yes, the Borsalino beaver hats are pricey, but you get the styling, and in beaver. So I consider it worthwhile.

The other Borsalino beaver fedora, the 2 1/2 inch brim or small brim on the Delmonico site, is what is pictured in the DRB photos. Note that that hat is not the Ernesto. I have two of those (bought one also for my Dad, who passed away). It's very nice, draws compliments, good things about it.

Personally I don't care much about the "quality" issue. It's the styling that dominates to me. So what if the felt isn't what it was a hundred years ago like a vintage. It's not a football helmet or a tent for the mountains, it's just a hat. If you get the styling you want in today's felt, then what's wrong with that? If I have a choice between buying an open-crown vintage hat of super-duper felt quality, versus buying a modern-styled fedora whose lines I want, I go for the latter. There's always plenty of time to go for the former. And the stock of the Ernesto isn't always in. I missed a shipment a year ago and had to wait another year.

Let the abuse begin!

They should be giving you free hats by now Dan, or are you on the Payroll already?:rolleyes: :D

But why pay for Beaver if only style is important? The "modern styling" hasn't changed in decades.

If the hat is exactly the shape and color you desire as sold by Borsalino(and you like/desire the tag), buying it would be a reasonable decision.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
bendingoak said:
Steve Delk of Adventurebilt has a Huge amount of orders more than any other hat maker....... Steve isn't slow just very much in demand. More than any other hatter.
Adventurebilt does a bigger business than Optimo?

danofarlington

rlk said:
They should be giving you free hats by now Dan, or are you on the Payroll already?:rolleyes: :D

But why pay for Beaver if only style is important? The "modern styling" hasn't changed in decades.

If the hat is exactly the shape and color you desire as sold by Borsalino(and you like/desire the tag), buying it would be a reasonable decision.
My royalties are supposed to be in the mail. I'm waiting--must be boat mail from Italy. :) While waiting, I am writing as a fan, and secondarily also write to provide a second view to the prevailing line of thinking. To reject Borsalino for price or style reasons, is all OK with me.

Well, my view is that I like the particular shaping of the crown that new Borsalinos provide. This is evidenced by my trying very hard not to mess up the crown so that it doesn't have to be re-blocked. E.G. I don't put the hat in airplane overhead compartments. You'll get similar but not same. It is that particular crown shape that I am after, and find worthwhile. Now, for those who are not enchanted by that particular crown shape, and especially for those who change the crown shape or shape by hand, I would have to say no, I then would not pay the money. I just wouldn't. Then the point is gone. So it's only because I want their shaping output that I have been a customer. If another hatmaker provided that exact thing I'd certainly consider it. For someone making a purchase decision, there is no substitute (if possible) for trying the hat on in person. Only that way can one decide whether Borsalino, or any other hat, is compelling enough to pay the money. It's a fairly quick decision once you have it on. If one is not compelled to buy it, then they should move on. Myself, I like lots of other hats too, including a great number of those I see here.

danofarlington

scottyrocks said:
Thats fine, but, and please tell me if Im off base here, anyone thats buying a new Borsalino today is paying first for the name. .
That may be true. But, I like the crowns, because they seem to draw compliments, which is always a charge when wearing something conspicuous.

bendingoak

Vendor
Tomasso said:
Adventurebilt does a bigger business than Optimo?

Optimo is like a small factory. There are a few people working on the hats as where Steve is a one man show and he makes his hats completely by hand. I don't put the two in the same group.

I have read here a few times that people think he is very slow at what he does but that is not the case. He produces more hats in a year than any 4 hatters that have a one man show. He does this by working 16 hour days. His list of customers is very long.

John

rlk

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
That may be true. But, I like the crowns, because they seem to draw compliments, which is always a charge when wearing something conspicuous.

Just for reference, Optimo sells a large number(more than "Vintage" style) of hats with the crown profiles associated with "modern"(late 1950's forward) Italian Hats. This is not a financial savings but does offer more choices and some quality upgrade. I'm sure Art has some Blocks of that style as well for his more budget friendly options.

danofarlington

rlk said:
Just for reference, Optimo sells a large number(more than "Vintage" style) of hats with the crown profiles associated with "modern"(late 1950's forward) Italian Hats. This is not a financial savings but does offer more choices and some quality upgrade. I'm sure Art has some Blocks of that style as well for his more budget friendly options.
I will check out Optimo, and hope to get something from Art at some point as well. I'm mainly interested in styles that can work for me. By now I've got this queue going on where the next purchase has to get taken care of first, then I scrounge together some money for another one. I must say that all of the photos on this forum provide a lot of new ideas for cool hats.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
I count myself apparently as one of the few living experts on both Borsalino beaver fedora hats, because I have two of one and one of the other.

Personally I don't care much about the "quality" issue. It's the styling that dominates to me.

Having purchased and eaten a wide array of the flavors offered by Doritos tortilla chips, I consider myself an expert on them. They're not round like those other, old fashioned tortilla chips. They've got points, making them modern, edgy, and just plain cool.

Personally, I don't care much about the "nutrition" issue. It's that salty, cheesy, peppery zing that dominates me. No one is out there eating Doritos to get their recommended daily allowance of anything. You want vitamins? Eat some broccoli.

Doritos has been around since 1964 and has become part of American culture. If you're going to eat a round tortilla chip, you might as well just burn the flag. But I know quality, and I love America, so even though it ain't easy bein' cheesy, I'm standing up for Doritos.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Having purchased and eaten a wide array of the flavors offered by Doritos tortilla chips, I consider myself an expert on them. They're not round like those other, old fashioned tortilla chips. They've got points, making them modern, edgy, and just plain cool.

Personally, I don't care much about the "nutrition" issue. It's that salty, cheesy, peppery zing that dominates me. No one is out there eating Doritos to get their recommended daily allowance of anything. You want vitamins? Eat some broccoli.

Doritos has been around since 1964 and has become part of American culture. If you're going to eat a round tortilla chip, you might as well just burn the flag. But I know quality, and I love America, so even though it ain't easy bein' cheesy, I'm standing up for Doritos.
doritos-japan-lg-x1x.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Exactly. The rest of the world is following a winning example, because we're sending it right to their door. Our chief exports are chips and democracy. Our new national slogan: Eat That, Terrorists!

(but I don't think we designed that package)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:

I know quality when I see it....

doritos.gif

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I would never think of buying a used hat or a custom hat (come on, its just a hat). Borsalino quality (principally the hand) is just superior to that of other mass manufacturers I have seen.

So if I liked the shape and dimensions of that hat, and I wanted a Beaver hat, I would not hesitate to buy one. On the other hand, I do not like the shape of "modern" hats very much, particularly if you combine a low tapered crown with a wide brim. Nor do I like an manufacturer's brand displayed on my stuff.

To those who say with a Borsalino you are only buying a name, I say that I bought an Open Road, then I bought a Campdraft, then I bought an Alessandria, and finally got the soft, flexible, comfortable, well-made hat I wanted all along.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I know what you mean. I tried both cookies and cakes when I was trying to find something with salty, cheesy zing, but it wasn't until I discovered Doritos that I knew I had found what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner