Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IKE Jacket Leather!?

Windward

Practically Family
I am into short jackets and think about an IKE Jacket for summer/spring made of leather with satin lining. Does everybody have an IKE jacket which is made of leather?

I plan to let AERO make it - which leather would you prefer:
Heavy FQHH or Jerky Horsehide for easier wear? which one will look cooler?
I will ordering with zipper front and A-2 storm flap / Highwayman waistband with side buckles.
What do you think?
Thanks in advance
windward

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Sounds Pretty Cool...

Got any pics of the design? Sketches?

I used to have a motorcycle jacket that was very similar to what you describe.

Windward

Practically Family
first was the idea . . .

Flitcraft said:
Got any pics of the design? Sketches?

No I dont have any pics yet -
I want the design of a true IKE Jacket - found many pics in the web -have also to decide the shape of the breast pockets - than will give AERO the order to make it with straight front zipper and A-2-stormflap instead the buttons and some features :) For a good fit the measurement of my AERO Windward will be good.

Any comments would be appriciated
Windward

Windward

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
I would suggest "vintage"HH in that style jacket...OR..for lighter weight..the jerky "real deal" A2 weight HH. You may want to add a little body length to that Ike style..tho.
HD

Thank you HoosierDaddy - vintage Horse is a good advice. Due to the very short cut of windward style - and my experience - I always let AERO add body length for best fit.
I love the windward cause its my "perfect leather jacket" - BUT...after serveral windwards I want other features . . . so my new idea is born.
QU: If AERO take the measurements of my windward will they be able to make also a good fitting IKE Jacket?
WW

Windward said:
Thank you HoosierDaddy - vintage Horse is a good advice. Due to the very short cut of windward style - and my experience - I always let AERO add body length for best fit.
I love the windward cause its my "perfect leather jacket" - BUT...after serveral windwards I want other features . . . so my new idea is born.
QU: If AERO take the measurements of my windward will they be able to make also a good fitting IKE Jacket?
WW

Yep...I would think they could use that measurement and fit it right into the Ike. However...consult them..but of course. I think the Ike style would make a fine looking leather jacket! Next is to decide on the lining. Satin...perhaps??
HD

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Night at the Museum

There was a thread on Ike jackets, but none were leather.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15580

there are some post WWII style ike jackets that have a zipper up the front. I think Jackie Gleason's bus uniform on The Honeymooners mightve been that style.

United_Uniform_Ike_10500.jpg

And then theres Ben Stiller's Museum Guard costume
3516652177_1a5aa41764.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've got an ike-ish leather jacket. There were originally chest pockets, going by the stitching marks, but they are long gone.

I got it for my dad- not in great shape, but a cool jacket.

IMG_0631.jpg

It has button tab adjusters on the back, and a very short talon zipper.

Windward

Practically Family
this looks cooool!!!!!

Dinerman said:
I've got an ike-ish leather jacket. There were originally chest pockets, going by the stitching marks, but they are long gone.

I got it for my dad- not in great shape, but a cool jacket.

It has button tab adjusters on the back, and a very short talon zipper.

Thank you DinerMan for the foto this is very helpful - and this is the kind of jacket i have on my mind. Now I have a second thought about with/or without breastpockets - without the jacket looks clean and sharp.
Its is a straight jacket with a straight zipper with a stylish collar without beeing a MC Jacket.

About the Half Belt my opinion is its not a good choice if someone has a short torso - a one piece back allow the back to show more lenght. Am I right?

HoosierDaddy: YES I am very sure I will decide for satin lining (burgundy - because it is a joy everytime I put it on)

davidwacheJacke.jpg

This is a short - special created- jacket from the 70th and 80th worn by the german police - unfortuanatly manufactured in germany just in cowhide.

Davidswache_Jacket_PoliceLeatherjac.jpg

jacket in action . . .enjoy

cafebmw

New in Town
short german police jacket

actually i have exactly one of those german cop jackets. i got it years ago in munich.
VintageLeather

i planned to put it on ebay at some point. it's approximately size 40. i'm not sure about the leather, it's starkly textured, which makes me think it might be pig skin. not really sure.

that link should work...

Windward

Practically Family
cop jacket

cafebmw said:
actually i have exactly one of those german cop jackets. i got it years ago in munich.
VintageLeather
i planned to put it on ebay at some point. it's approximately size 40. i'm not sure about the leather, it's starkly textured, which makes me think it might be pig skin. not really sure.

Hi you make me curious - but the link doesnt work :eusa_doh:
If its really pig skin ??? - must be like a glove but I cannot believe

Windward

Practically Family
american cop

dr greg said:
This sort of thing might be close, it has side buckles you can't see.

Hi Dr.Greg - congratulation it looks really great and more like an american cop jacket due to the pocket position. The german cop jacket has got also side buckles plus front closure - but no epaulettes maybe they want to avoid a military look.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Just A Thought...

About pocket placement...
If you decide on pockets... the higher placement looks more "Ike"-like.. the slightly lower looks more like a typical motorcycle jacket, The lower ones are a little easier to deal with if you want a jacket for riding...

cafebmw

New in Town
german police jacket

this link should work:
VintageLeather

the jacket is definitely not soft, it's rather on the pretty stiff side. like i said i'm not sure what kind of leather it is. it doesn't look or feel like any cowhide.
more detailed images on the picasa album.

btw, i can't seem to insert an image directly into the post, only the link. ???

Windward

Practically Family
original cop jacket

thanks cafeBMW - I am sure you got an original german cop jacket - and it might be cowhide (very nice)
Unfortunately not my size :mad:
good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW