Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impulse boot buy

nick123

I'll Lock Up
What should I get guys? Budget is anywhere up to $400. I'm looking at William Lennons, 1000 miles, and Oak St Trenches.

Damo

A-List Customer
What should I get guys? Budget is anywhere up to $400. I'm looking at William Lennons, 1000 miles, and Oak St Trenches.

What style are you looking to buy? Casual, formal? What are you going to use them for? Colour?

Of those 3 I've only tried on 1000 miles. I really liked the morleys cause they are textured and im looking for a more casual boot. I havent bought them yet because i want to try on a pair of oak trenchers and also dont want to pay full retail.

Have tried on all 3 makers? You partial to anyone of those 3?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I suppose they would be considered casual. In the spirit of those mentioned. Truthfully, I like all of them, but I've heard good things about those. Curious to hear everyone's input. I have one pair of decent boots-Thorogood in horse. I'd like something like those, quality wise.

Damo

A-List Customer
I suppose they would be considered casual. In the spirit of those mentioned. Truthfully, I like all of them, but I've heard good things about those. Curious to hear everyone's input. I have one pair of decent boots-Thorogood in horse. I'd like something like those, quality wise.

My thoughts that the boot makers you mentioned are great quality. Don't think you really could go wrong with any of them. The only thing i didnt like about the 1000 mile is the sole has no grip, it was very similar to my iron rangers. I find the lack of grip limits when and what i can wear them for.

ranger4-7

New in Town
Have you considered the Red Wing Heritage option? I share Damo's issue with the 1000 mile boots. The smooth leather sole is like ice on many surfaces. The Iron Rangers don't have a tread, but the RW Beckman's do. Here is a picture of them in black (several other colors are available).

DSC_0228_zps987a7ec8.jpg

The RW Heritage collection can be found here:

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/footwear#category=6-inch-boots

Good luck!

Chris

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi Nick,

I can only comment on the William Lennon boots, which are made like boots were 90 years ago using tools they used then, they seem as though they are carved from rock!

D

trapp

Practically Family
There are so many good options these days. I don't know where you live in California, but a good start would be to determine which boots are locally offered so you can try them on firsthand. See how they size and how they look when worn. It's easy to browse a wide range of 6" plain-toe boots online and miss how different they actually look (and feel) on your feet. All the boots mentioned above are good suggestions. Obviously, by going local, you rule out some great options like the Lennon boots but that might be a boot to shoot for a little further down the line. White's SD's are amazing (and a few steps up in build quality from others you're considering) but can be damn hard to nail on the first go unless you try them on.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
There are so many good options these days. I don't know where you live in California, but a good start would be to determine which boots are locally offered so you can try them on firsthand. See how they size and how they look when worn. It's easy to browse a wide range of 6" plain-toe boots online and miss how different they actually look (and feel) on your feet. All the boots mentioned above are good suggestions. Obviously, by going local, you rule out some great options like the Lennon boots but that might be a boot to shoot for a little further down the line. White's SD's are amazing (and a few steps up in build quality from others you're considering) but can be damn hard to nail on the first go unless you try them on.

There's a White's dealer a mile away from my house. Hmm...

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I think the build quality of the OSB is a little above the Wolverines, but I love my Wolverines too. I haven't handled any William Lennon boots, but the pics I've seen are very impressive. Boots can be hard to nail down fit-wise and I'm hesitant to buy the Lennon's as I'm concerned about the cost of shipping - perhaps back and forth. They actually have a pair with triple leather soles that have caught my eye.

I know we are awful around here about recommending something above your price limit, but a pair of Whites Semi-Dress aren't much more than $400 and are several steps up from OSB and Wolverine (and Red Wings). White's makes a beast of a boot and you could spec them out to look like Wolverines or OSB.

trapp

Practically Family
There's a White's dealer a mile away from my house. Hmm...

Score! I would start right there.

White's makes one of the best boots out there and are well worth every penny if you can fit them out in person. I'm a vocal fan of Wolve 1000s and RW Heritage for their value but as Grayland attests White's is on an entirely different level. Do try them on - if you nail the fit they feel amazing - nothing you could hope to achieve with lesser boots. They have a very aggressive arch (most learn to love it but it's not for every foot). Also, the White's SD can look very different one way or another depending on how you spec it (single or double welt stitching, stitching color, heel height and type). And of course leather options. Hopefully the dealer in your area has a healthy range of make-ups so you can see the differences.

I haven't checked but there is likely a dedicated White's thread somewhere on the lounge. If not, there should be!

Edward

Bartender
I have a pair of RW Iron Rangers and a pair of Lennon's both; I've also handled (but not tried on) a pair of the Aero Jarrow boots. I'd rate all three very highly indeed. When you take price into the equation, The RWs are on the expensive side by comparison. Typical price in the UK is £220-250, whereas the Lennons are about £155, the Aero, I think, £175. I'd definitely buy more RWs at a reduced price, though (got mine in a sale), or at the US price (I think this is usually consdierably lower than the going UK rate).

Oh.... also got a much plainer, simpler pair of RedWings, I think modern rather than their 'Heritage' line. These I bought "used but unworn" for a fraction of the new price - new, I think they're GBP150. Very nice, comfy boots, but at full price I'd go for the WLs instead, without hesitation. Hopnig in time to pick up a couple more pairs of WLS, as well as some of the Aeros. No idea who makes the Aero boots now. They did a first run of very different boots a couple of years ago that looked to be WL, but I think the Jarrow might be someone else.

achee

New in Town
I have a pair of White's semi dress, a pair of RW Iron Rangers and Beckmans. The Whites were custom and they are awesome boots. The only thing is don't get the commando half sole options. I did and I kinda regret it. For some reason, the material they use for the soles wears really quickly and marks floors really bad. Other than that, those boots are super comfortable after a bit of break in.

Andrew

trapp

Practically Family
I'm totally enamored by what I see of Lennon boots. But living in California I've never had the opportunity to handle any. Are they easy to size? Does anyone offer them in the states? The price / value seems excellent, the boots look phenomenal, and everything I've read / seen about the company (there's are great photo-essay circulating on the web) makes me want a pair. Still, I find it hard to roll the dice on overseas boots unless I'm very confident in fit - too many little things can go wrong with boot fittings and shipping back and forth is not appealing.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
About to go down the Lennons route myself. Spoke to them by phone this week about a pair of 'Field' boots, just need to discuss the leather options. Looking at a 3 week lead in, will post when they arrive.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Maybe White's are the best route for a few hundred more, given I can get sized in person. I'll have to stop in. I read a review here of a pair of Lennons; the customer was shipped two boxes at seperate times, with one boot in each. That's something to note for anyone planning to order them.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
If you're US and you've a dealer go with White's, I think. Just for ease of fitting alone. And no one here has ever been disappointed with White's.

Down the line maybe try Lennon, they make great boots. Their WW1 boot is amazing and they've a couple of other styles that are really good looking close up. Quite a different style with these British boots compared with US boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran