Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incongruencies of body art?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Here's mine, unfinished as they are only outlines at the moment. I have one on each side! You can see my very old navel piercings too.

415639102_279037e705.jpg

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
I love my tattoos. I have a abstract padlock on the top of my inner arm, a pink diamond with a bow at the bottom of my neck and two large lovebirds on my lower back. I'm planning on more but it's an expensive art!
I proudly show them off when I'm out, if anything I feel under-inked by other people! The only time I have felt them to be out of place was at a 40s event where it was almost totally re-ennactors.
One day I'll be a truly painted lady!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I have three tattoos. And people have said "You look like you just stepped out of the past...except for the tattoos."

Only one is visible. It's on my leg.
Here's a pic:
513603279_l.jpg

The other two are on my back. One is visible if I wear a tank or halter and the other one is always completely concealed because of its meaning is very private to me. I guess what I'm saying is I don't purposefully try to hide them.
Right below my neck.
l_ae695c93ae2bf2f4caae59ac8ec12a12.jpg

Do you like your gentlemen to have tattoos?

Did any ladies in the 40s or 50s have tattoos?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
There have been a few threads on tattoos.

To answer your questions:

Just my ears (one in each).

Doesn't do anything for me.

Most ladies with tattoos in the 40s and 50s were probably Holocost survivors.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
**merged thread**

We have had a lot of talk on this subject, and a lot of heat. So if this is started again, remember, keep it civil ladies and gentlemen.

LD

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Also, for some reason I am attracted to guys with tattoos. Like attracts like I guess.

My boy has a number of tattoos and I wouldn't want him any other way. ;)

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
I have only one tattoo right now, (planning on a WHOLE lot more, perhaps full sleeves, and a back piece), and four piercings.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE some tattooed men!! I like "greaser" guys... that's why I married one. There's just something about the "bad boy" look that makes me swoon :eek:

I saw a tattoo book once that had pictures of folks from the 40's and 50's and before with full body suits... men and women. I think it was much more hush-hush back then for sure.

Snookie

Practically Family
I'm gonna weigh in on the first question of this thread -- how body mod affects your vintage look.

I think I'm in the minority among those posting in this thread, but I've scaled back my piercings since getting more into an "authentic" vintage look. (I don't have nor ever really wanted a tatoo.) I don't do vintage daily, but when I do, I felt really awkward dressing up in cute clothes and working so hard on my hair and makeup, and still having a nosering! I never got odd comments about it, it was just personal -- I worked so hard for a certain look, and the effect was spoiled by jewelery that I couldn't remove. Frustrating.

So I swapped out for a tiny nosescrew, which I hardly think about anymore. I can remove it whenever I want, but it's barely noticeable. Honestly, I'd get rid of it at this point except that the rhinestone is cuter that whatever scar I'd have instead. :)

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
Pink Dahlia said:
Ooh that's cool, Kitten. I would like to have seen that book.

It was pretty cool. It was something about the history of tattoos or body art or something like that. I don't really remember, it was quite a few years ago. I think I saw it in a book store in the mall. It was with the fancy, (aka expensive) coffee table or art book section.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I don't think my visible leg tattoo affects my look at all. You'd be surprised how many people have said "You have a tattoo!" Mind you these are people I've know anywhere from a couple months to years. I think my vintage look is more obvious than my tattoo! lol

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
This is mine

Ellietat.jpg

Sorry about the size of the pic! This is an original piece that a graphic artist friend designed for me. It was a cover up for a cat I had. I have piercings and have removed some. I also have a celtic armband in purple. I want more but don't know what to have. It fits in with my rockabilly image I am cultivating. My hubby moaned about showing my tats off in this posh 50's style dress for the wedding do in June but the bride has more than me so I don't care!

If you have tats and mods, I say wear them with pride!:eusa_clap :D

Hubby has 2 tattoos, one I love, the other I'm not bothered about, never mind!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Well I am a chicken when it comes to piercings and tatoos. lol

My ears are pierced but it hurts to have earings in them so I wear the clip ons. I could never get a tatoo because I couldn't endure the pain and would be very afraid of buyers remourse.

I have no problem with people who like multiple piercings and tatoos. I am a strong believer in different strokes for different folks.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Kimberly, it really doesn't hurt as bad as you might think. I have one on my back at the base of my neck - but down far enough that it can't be seen with normal clothing. It's on my spine. It took an hour and fifteen minutes for the whole thing. The worst of the pain felt like getting a cat scratch on top of a cat scratch. It was annoying, but not an oh-my-gosh-I'm-gonna-die kind of pain. I think the worst part for me was the vibration. As it is on my spine, the vibrations went across my shoulders and down my arms. My arms were braced on my legs. The vibrations also went down my spine, through my hips/pelvis, and completed the circuit of vibration where my arms were braced. I'm ticklish, so the vibrations were the worst. I wanted to move away from them, but couldn't. :(

That being said, here's what I got:

newtattoo.jpg

It has a lot of personal meaning for me. I struggled with where to get it for years, but once I decided.... I went for it. I've not regretted it for a day! (I did, however dread showing it to my father. He told me that he now had a permanent way to be able to identify my body. :mad: :( :eek: )

The Mister has a tattoo as well. His is a traditional anchor on the inside of his right forearm. It's fitting because he worked on a boat up in Alaska for several years before I met him.

How do I feel about tattoos with vintage? I hang out with the rockabilly crowd, so to *not* see tattoos is odd to me. It always takes me aback that there are people that don't like them, or will read more into what kind of person has a tattoo other than they're a lover of art and want to have a permanent piece of art on their body.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I'm gonna have to disagree. It depends on where you get them whether or not they hurt. My leg was nothing. But the two on my back I almost blacked out from the pain. My tattoo artist suggested some pain killers for next time. :eek:

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
here are my 2 tattoos. i'll get more eventually, but this is what i have so far. both are "vintage" graphics, but not in the normal vintage tattoo way! sorry for the bad photos... i took them a couple minutes ago!

my first, from 2 summers ago, is Ramona Quimby on my upper left arm. this illustration is from "Ramona the Pest", which came out in 1968. i had very minimal pain with this one, and it healed really fast.
ramona-1.jpg

i just got my second one done recently. it's on the back of my right calf and hurt SO bad. i had a lot of problems getting this one to heal (possibly a reaction to the ink?), and i'm going to have a lot of it redone. it looks like i might have some scarring, but i'm crossing my fingers that it goes away! please note that i took this with my leg at a bad angle, so it looks kinda distorted. it's one of the couples from "all the cats join in" - the disney short from 1944.
catstat1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo