Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incongruencies of body art?

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
pretty faythe said:
I don't think it would be much larger than if one had their nose pierce and then removed it. My sis had her nose pierced and removed it, can hardly tell.

It'll be a little larger because of the size of bars they use, though if you were worried about that you could change the bar they put in when you first get it pierced to something a little smaller early on.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Here's my only one, I'm fighting the urge for more thoughlol Everyone's got such nice tattoos I'm going crazy with new designs!lol

IMG_0136.jpg

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
When it comes to hiding body-art or not when going vintage style I do rather the opposite, I emphasize it. I have a septum piercing in which I wear a spike and two stretched lobe piercings and I never try to hide them because they are a part of my persona, and a part I'm very passionate about (just like hats). However, whereas I might wear colorful jewelry in my piercings now and then I make it a point to wear traditional materials (i.e. steel or organic materials such as wood or bone) when going vintage so it fits better with the clothes, material-wise anyway. I highely enjoy the clash of the new and the old and considering that tattooing and piercing has been around for tousands of years it's actually more vintage than the clothing :p

Apologies for posting out of gender, but body mods are a topic which I hold very dear :)

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I work with an older lady. I'd say about 60s. She always comments on how I got the look down "except for the tattoo."

I told her the other day that I have to retain my personality. :D

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
i never cover mine up unless a certain item of clothing is covering it due to the shape. i love it most when my half sleeves poke out from under a cardy or top. although i gotta say i love my leg tattoos cos they look pretty with a pair of heels.

i have probems with my ink whilst shopping in 2nd hand shops. when i get to the till it's always "why would a nice respectable girl like you need tattoos?" from the mature ladies working the tills. which i find quite comedy.
i never really know what to say back. hee hee.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I got my tattoo on purpose to heighten the vintage look - and got a beauty spot tattooed onto my cheek! So no need to hide it! But if I had other tattoos I'd probably try to hide them when wearing vintage - especially if I was wearing something formal.

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
I sadly took out my hoop from my nostril and miss it dearly. Im thinking of getting it poked again. I also have my septum and a belly button hoop. I personally like my piercings and think they go great with the vintage lifestyle. It modernizes it a bit.

analiebe

A-List Customer
i find it interesting that so many view tattoos as a "modern" form of body art and that they are incongruous with an authentic vintage look - yes, its certainly true that (in the western world at least) mainstream society did not sport tattoos to the extent they do now (at least not where they would be so easily visible) however, just as in the modern age, there existed many who found them beautiful, or rebellious, or an expression of individuality.... so, just as dames and gents did in eras past, if you want a tattoo then get one... it will be as authentic to your vintage look today as it was way back then

newyork1897.jpg

some tattooed ladies of the past...

h10.jpg

h12.jpg

german nora hildebrandt circa 1910's

15ps5j7.jpg

betty broadbent - tattooed woman with ringling, barnum & bailey circus circa 1930's

CindyRay1.jpg

cindy ray - australian 1960's tattoo celebrity who later became a tattooist herself!

Japanese-Tattoo-Artist.jpg

japanese geisha being tattooed 1937

george_burchett.jpg

english tattooist george burchett with female client 1928

bristol_england1960stattoing.jpg

bristol babe getting tattooed circa 1960

12861v.jpg

mrs m. stevens wagner 1907

waters_mildred.jpg

mildred in an add for waters tattooist circa 1920's/ 30's

volatile

A-List Customer
http://www.needled.com/blog/?p=2634

“The tattoing [sic] craze which first broke out in America has now come to this country, where its chief exponent is Mr. Alfred South of Cockspur Street. During his career Mr. South has operated on upwards of 15,000 persons, including about 900 English women, the designs in a great number of cases being of a most peculiar description. There are some instances where ladies have had the inscriptions on their wedding rings tattooed on their fingers beneath the ring. Ladies who like to keep pace with the times may be adorned with the illustrations of motor cars. Another device is that of a figure of Cupid disappearing into the depths of a pewter pot. This picture which has been tattooed on the skin of one woman only is entitled Love gone to pot.”

– The Tatler and Bystander, No. 126, November 25, 1903

(http://images.wellcome.ac.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?MIROPAC=V0040689)

analiebe

A-List Customer
this article is great!! - would you mind if i used it as part of a post i'm putting together about vintage tattooing for my own blog? - let me know
cheers, anastasia

volatile said:
http://www.needled.com/blog/?p=2634

“The tattoing [sic] craze which first broke out in America has now come to this country, where its chief exponent is Mr. Alfred South of Cockspur Street. During his career Mr. South has operated on upwards of 15,000 persons, including about 900 English women, the designs in a great number of cases being of a most peculiar description. There are some instances where ladies have had the inscriptions on their wedding rings tattooed on their fingers beneath the ring. Ladies who like to keep pace with the times may be adorned with the illustrations of motor cars. Another device is that of a figure of Cupid disappearing into the depths of a pewter pot. This picture which has been tattooed on the skin of one woman only is entitled Love gone to pot.”

– The Tatler and Bystander, No. 126, November 25, 1903

(http://images.wellcome.ac.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?MIROPAC=V0040689)

volatile

A-List Customer
analiebe said:
this article is great!! - would you mind if i used it as part of a post i'm putting together about vintage tattooing for my own blog? - let me know
cheers, anastasia

By all means, help yourself! It's something I stumbled upon as part of my PhD research a while ago, and shared it with my friend Marissa who runs that blog (now moved to needlesandsins.com)...

Please do feel free to use it! I can't take much credit for it other than discovering it in the Wellcome archives! :) What's the URL of your blog?

analiebe

A-List Customer
thanks so much!
i really appreciate it and i'll make sure i link it back to your friend marissas' blog too...

my blog - http://analiebe.wordpress.com/
just started it recently so its definately a work in progress...

volatile said:
By all means, help yourself! It's something I stumbled upon as part of my PhD research a while ago, and shared it with my friend Marissa who runs that blog (now moved to needlesandsins.com)...

Please do feel free to use it! I can't take much credit for it other than discovering it in the Wellcome archives! :) What's the URL of your blog?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21