Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspiration needed for New Years!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Ok, I thought I'd start early...

I've been invited (with my partner) to a 1940s dance at New Years the theme is 'GI's and their brides'
Well, he's ok-he has class A's but I don't know what to wear....any ideas????

K

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Ok, I thought I'd start early...

I've been invited (with my partner) to a 1940s dance at New Years the theme is 'GI's and their brides'
Well, he's ok-he has class A's but I don't know what to wear....any ideas????

K

hi kitty..
a lot would of just worn a nice suit or dress because of shortages and the time they had to plan..
http://research.unc.edu/endeavors/spr2007/images/bryant_doreen.jpg

http://www.vindicatrix-originalnswa...06 uploads/war bride story vera cracknell.jpg

http://www.travelandtransitions.com/interviews/images/pier21_warbrides.jpg

with a hat and flowers of course...:)

hope that helps..;)

Sunny

One Too Many
I'd look into something a wee bit old-fashioned, maybe! If your character was in a hurry, she'd have worn something on hand. If it was a day/ businesslike wedding, her good suit. If it was more summery, a nice summer frock. If it was still more formal, she'd have worn a formal dress she'd likely had for several years. If

It's easy to think that fashion just "appeared" in 1941 and women were scrambling to make up their wardrobes. Not at all! How much modern stuff thats 2+ years old do you have in your closet? Quite a bit, I'd imagine. Women took what they had and just kept wearing it, or they altered them to be more fashionable.

Here's an example I just got. It's a simple evening gown, black crepe with a few sequins, and a long bias skirt. It originally had sleeves, which were carefully removed, probably to update the dress.

thirt8.jpg

There's nothing particularly early 1940s about it, but neither is it dated by poofy sleeves or something else late 1930s. A G.I. bride would've been happy to wear it.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Sunny - I wouldn't mind wearing that dress, either! It's beautiful.

I work at the local veterans' home and have seen quite a few wedding pictures from that era. There were a few couples that had more traditional weddings, with the brides wearing sheath-style dresses.

Monique-Lhuillier-10611-large.JPG

A lot of the other brides wore nice, fitted suits.

By the way, isn't this lovely?

Anne-Barge-11211-large.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually have a wedding to go to on New Year's Eve and trying my damnedest to find something cute.

I was thinking of getting this but when I showed it to my boyfriend, he said, "It's ok. The print's kind of boring." :rolleyes:

detail_289_GAVAD-03-REDmed.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925