Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Luftwaffe Style Jacket

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
This is interesting... a Luftwaffe inspired leather motorcycle jacket with CE armor. Only 200 bucks. I'm always on the look out for good moto apparel that also have a vintage look to them. I've no doubt it's chock full of inaccuracies... but I'm still intrigued by the price and the CE bits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GERM...mQQptZApparel_Merchandise?hash=item56340e6e46

941-1.jpg

andy richards

Practically Family
That is a nice looking jacket. Good price also!
I like the "original" Ostmann Fliegerjacke better, but maybe this is a better option for the motorcyclists among us.
Thanks for posting.
Andy

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oddly enough, a partner and I once considered doing this same kind of thing - making a reasonably priced Luftwaffe Jacke and selling them on eBay. Cost/Benefit never computed though. I may move on this just to see how good it really is. Love the style.

-dixon 'oberst' cannon

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
wow looks like the ELC jacket

wow looks like the ELC jacket. I wouldn't be able to see the difference if I saw someone wearing it compared to someone wearing the ELC

Volpone

New in Town
I was tempted too for those jackets made by N.H. before knowing that AERO can make custom jackets, so I advise you to save some money and order one of those ( yes, I was getting lost when I wanted to sell mine ... meanwhile I bought a nice repro of a G-1 style made by "Redskins", on the way it will be a ANJ4 ), anyway this is an expensive addiction .
Regards,
V.

Edward

Bartender
The Noble House jackets have been discussed before; the general opinion in these parts seems to be that one would be better saving and paying the extra for an Eastman / Aero / etc.

The jacket in the op looks interesting. I have personal experience of the seller: several years ago, I bought a couple of jackets and some trousers from Alex. There was a problem with delivery of some of the items. In the end it turned out to be due to the delivery service in the UK (a lazy driver didn't bother leaving me notification of attempt to deliver, resulting in them being returned to sender - by the slowest possible method - with no notification given anyone...). Alex went out of his way to sort it out for me, refunding me for one item and repalcing another, as per my requests. Would definitely deal with him again. The jackets I bought from him were a Perfecto-style jacket for myself, and a modern, padded style jacket for my dad. Including postage, they cost me about GBP70 each, at a time when comparable jackets were about GBP140ea here in the UK. That was back in 2002, from memory. The jacket for Dad was very nice, thick but soft cowhide. Mine is actually the one I'm pictured in on a few threads here - now sporting various additions to replicate Brando's Wild One jacket. A very respectable jacket for the money - not on the level of an Aero, no, but a rraction of the price. For a jacket I'd wear all the time, had I the money, I'd go Aero, but for a jacket that was for occasional wear, or that I wanted to use for rough wear without worrying about, I'd be more than happy with the Leather Paradise jacket, assuming it to be of an equivalent quality to the ones I have had. FWIW, I don't know that I'd wear the Perfecto style on a bike, but the one I bought for dad, specifically designed for being used on a bike, I definitely would.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Dixon Cannon

Ok! I took the plunge on this one - my offer of $150 was accepted and I've sent my measurements. We'll see soon what quality and fit. I'll keep you posted on the results.

-dixon cannon

Edward

Bartender
Gancho said:
Hello,

I agree with Edward. Noble House has some nice jackets and their service is really good, but I would also favor a Eastman or an Aero.

For people, not as crazy quality fanatiques like me, will get a nice flight jacket.

Looking at their Winter Kanaljacke:

http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/67

Does not look bad. I will visit them during my next trip to the south.

regards

Oliver

Hi Oliver, I think that's the thing - often you can get a great jacket in this sort of 'mid-market' price band, but I, like I think a lot of folks, would be reluctant to buy without having that chance to handle one and try it for fit first. If you get the chance to visit them, I'd be interested to hear what you think ,especially knowing your first-hand experience of Aero etc.

Slightly :eek:fftopic: I've never seen a Winter Kanaljake before.... looks like a nice jacket. Leather will, I think, always be my first love, but I've become increasingly a fan of the nylon flying jackets as, well.... sometimes it's nice to have a change from the leather. Do you happen to know when the Luftwaffe started using non-leather jackets? (Aren't I right in saying that they never really issued a leather jacket as such, only the Kanaljakes? Or was there some limited leather issue - the Merscheschmitt jacket that John Lever has posted in another thread?) I've seen the photos of Luftwaffe pilots wearing captured Irvins, but I've often wondered how far they, the RAF and USAAF all learned from each other or were influenced by the design of each other's equipment as the war progressed, based on items worn by captured airmen.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi Edward,

I will inform you when i visit them in Ulm. it will take some time...

Last year i bought a sweat shirt from them. I wanted to test if there sweaters are an alternative to the Buzz Rickson sweaters. They are not! To think they could be the same quality is a crime.

so long

olli

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Great. Take some pics if you can when it comes. 150 is a steal. Their profit margins must be razor thin even if the quality is only half-way decent.

Dixon Cannon said:
Ok! I took the plunge on this one - my offer of $150 was accepted and I've sent my measurements. We'll see soon what quality and fit. I'll keep you posted on the results.

-dixon cannon

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
I got one of those - tossed the armor as I wear it just daily, the liner was a bit too clingy so I got it replaced with cloth after abusing the jacket to get it fit nicely - its pretty stiff & sort of "painted" leather vs. tanned so be careful.

pratka_etu.jpg

pratka_taka.jpg

Oh and I changed the buttons as well.
pratka_hiha.jpg

Also you will want to do "something" with the buckle unless you always close it, its solid & quite heavy and hurts swinging about. I made a little snap to hold it in place.
pratka_solki.jpg

Only thing "less authentic" is the armpit zipper vents. But for the price - a happy camper here too.

Dixon Cannon

BigHairyFinn said:
I got one of those - tossed the armor as I wear it just daily, the liner was a bit too clingy so I got it replaced with cloth after abusing the jacket to get it fit nicely - its pretty stiff & sort of "painted" leather vs. tanned so be careful.

Oh and I changed the buttons as well.

Also you will want to do "something" with the buckle unless you always close it, its solid & quite heavy and hurts swinging about. I made a little snap to hold it in place.

Only thing "less authentic" is the armpit zipper vents. But for the price - a happy camper here too.[/
QUOTE]

Hi BHF - thanks for that advice! When mine arrives I may contact you for some more helpful hints. I trust your FL judgement - if are satisfied with yours, I'm sure I'll enjoy mine. Again, can't beat that price, that's for sure! [huh]

-dixon cannon

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
I'm happy with their sizing, I'm sort of 50-52, but depending on the cut & sleeve length may need to go for a 54 or up to 5XL or whatever, while then the sleeves fit but the body is a balloon. This one is quite well-fitting with long sleeves and the back doesn't ride up. I won't go into the liner & the snap on vest, they were quite nasty, warm but nasty. But if you're looking for a clean cut and don't mind the highway patrol black, try scope the Taylor's Leatherwear sales on ebay. Got a G-1 was it for 53 bucks off them.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Those replacement buttons really do take it up a gear in looks... nice!

Aging process worked - JohnnyJohnny asked where I parked the Stuka... it is what I'd call a "fixable" jacket for the price. The innards are shyte tho. And whatever is said off the Ulm Noblehouse guys, their stuff is improving, and they have some pretty rare models - like double breasted version. Their A-2 repertoire doesn't cut for the aficionados necessarily, but I have one of their B-9 in a box (the **** didn't pay for it) which is for the price the warmest jacket ever, except my French snow-mono.

Dixon Cannon

BigHairyFinn said:
I'm happy with their sizing, I'm sort of 50-52, but depending on the cut & sleeve length may need to go for a 54 or up to 5XL or whatever, while then the sleeves fit but the body is a balloon. This one is quite well-fitting with long sleeves and the back doesn't ride up. I won't go into the liner & the snap on vest, they were quite nasty, warm but nasty. But if you're looking for a clean cut and don't mind the highway patrol black, try scope the Taylor's Leatherwear sales on ebay. Got a G-1 was it for 53 bucks off them.

Ok lads (and lasses where applicable), this Flieger Jacke arrived today before noon. At first blush - I LOVE IT! Granted, it is NOT an Eastman - but it didn't have an Eastman price either, and I knew that going in.

BigH, you are right about the sizing. I tried it on and immediately felt that they had used my submitted measurements correctly. Normally I wear a size 44; Leather Paradise chose a size 48 which gives great sleeve length and has just enough extra room in the mid section without being blousy.

All in all, I am very satisfied. I will wear it a bit this week (in 80+ degree weather!) and see how it shakes out! As I mentioned in an earlier post, a partner of mine and I considered doing just this thing - but as is usually the case - it didn't compute economically. I'm glad that Leather Paradise has made it work. They accepted my offer of $150 immediately so I find the whole transaction quite satisfactory indeed. :eusa_clap

P.S. Photos to come - it just arrived at noon today and it is HOT outside!!!!
-dixon 'Oberst' cannon

Edward

Bartender
Dixon, interesting to hear - any shots of you wearing it?

BHF: Interesting to hear about the Noblehouse stuff - by DB, do you mean the ones that looked sort of like an Aero Bootlegger at the front, except with a db run of buttons, and a halfbelt back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner