Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interests of other lifetimes.

MysteriousRed

New in Town
What other years and times are you interested in outside your main common interest?

For me, it's the 1970's (Culture/News/Fashion) and 1910's (Fashion.)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Since childhood, I've had a fascination with middle- and late-Victorian, particularly as it was expressed through the British Empire. Regency and Edwardian also strike their respective chords in me, as does "mid"-Medieval. In addition, I love the music and "fashion" of the early Rock 'n' Roll/Rockabilly period.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
What other years and times are you interested in outside your main common interest?

For me, it's the 1970's (Culture/News/Fashion) and 1910's (Fashion.)

Well, when it comes to music, style, and general culture in America, I would have to say my interest mainly lies between 1920 to 1970. That's a wide span of years, granted, but this in my mind encompasses the "Golden" and "Atomic" eras, give or take a few years. Coincidentally, this just about covers the era in which fedora hats were still considered mainstream. Other times of interest include the Victorian and Edwardian eras, the 1970s and 1980s (I like some of the styles and music from this period, admittedly). Of course, if I am to go farther back, I cannot go without mentioning my interest in ancient, medieval, and colonial era history. I am studying for a history major, so since an early age it has always fascinated me. I suppose my first love of history was of the American old west and the Victorian era, as far as I can recall.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I don't know enough about any one time period to single one out over the others. I was originally drawn to the glamour and beauty of the art deco period and still love this time period for archeitecture and jewelry. Realistically though, I do my fashion collecting in the 50's and early 60's because it's the era that accommodates curves, lol. Lately, my focus has been on home and that has been pulling me more and more toward the 40's. Maybe because that era was so focused on the homefront, getting loved ones home from war and making do with what one already had at home? I don't know but it's funny how my vintage interest and desires keep changing...and fun too!

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Besides being interested in the 1910's through the early 60's, I'm interested in the 1860's, late 1700's, and medieval times. I'm also interested in the days of the Roman Empire.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love popular culture and fashion of the entire 20th century with special emphasis on the 1920s, 1930s, and 1980s (I grew up then -- nostalgic reasons!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was little I was fascinated by ancient Egypt. I'd sit in the back of the classroom reading articles about mummies and pyramids in the National Geographic when I should have been working on long division.

I've also been fascinated by early-20th-Century baseball since I read a biography of Ty Cobb when I was six. How they were ever able to write a book about him that would be acceptable for grammar school kids is one of the great mysteries of the age.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've always been fond of medieval, feudal Japan, as well as medieval Europe. I also greatly enjoyed reading about the life and conquests Ghengis Khan through the Middle/Dark ages.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have to admit that I'm sometimes Roman. I mean literally, as we live in Chester, UK, and my hubby and boys are part of a Roman re-enactment group, so I have a garage full of hand-made armour and caligae (as well as a 1938 Austin Big Seven!)
We have friends that are Roman, but also do Medieval (very big in the UK) and, a bit oddly, American Civil War.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I have to admit that I'm sometimes Roman. I mean literally, as we live in Chester, UK, and my hubby and boys are part of a Roman re-enactment group, so I have a garage full of hand-made armour and caligae (as well as a 1938 Austin Big Seven!)
We have friends that are Roman, but also do Medieval (very big in the UK) and, a bit oddly, American Civil War.

England is great for that sort of thing. I've been to England twice, for 7 weeks and 3 weeks, staying with a friend in Northampton, and both times I was glad to have paid a visit to Warwick Castle - a full time medieval reenactment museum of sorts. I loved it. For what it's worth, I also loved the torture tour of the Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum when I visited, though I only saw that one the first time.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
England is great for that sort of thing. I've been to England twice, for 7 weeks and 3 weeks, staying with a friend in Northampton, and both times I was glad to have paid a visit to Warwick Castle - a full time medieval reenactment museum of sorts. I loved it. For what it's worth, I also loved the torture tour of the Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum when I visited, though I only saw that one the first time.

Oh my goodness, how could I have not mentioned my trip to England. I stayed with friends in Manchester for 10 days. One of the many highlights of the trip was a day long visit to Castle Conwy in Scotland. Much of it is (was) still standing. There was just so much to see, and the displays of what the place was like in its heyday was completely thrilling for me. I took a ton of (pre-digital age) pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24