Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interests of other lifetimes.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
I would love to have experienced Napoleonic France, or the American Revolution. At the same time, I cannot deny the allure of Victorian England. But than again, what I could do to be alive and well in the 20's.

I generally have an interest in anything from the 1900-1945 with an emphasis on the 1920s and '30s while my military history interests center around World War II and the Vietnam War. Other periods that I'm interested in are the Late Victorian Period in general and Victorian London in particular.

BoPeep

Practically Family
For me, the 1860s. The only thing more fun than wearing a starched crinoline is wearing a hoopskirt. But then bustles are mighty fun as well . . . so let's say 1860s thru 1890s. Just a passing thought here, but perhaps I'm subconsciously compensating for my 5'0" stature with exaggerated clothing. . . leg-o-mutton sleeves, Gibson girl hair, it all seems to fit.

LizzieMaine said:
When I was little I was fascinated by ancient Egypt. I'd sit in the back of the classroom reading articles about mummies and pyramids in the National Geographic when I should have been working on long division.

Long division was fun. It was diagramming sentences that I hated.

davidraphael

Practically Family
I'm also interested in the early 1970's because that's when I was a small child, though I'm not so much into culture and fashion per se; it's more of a personal thing. I have fragments of sunny days, smells, colours, sounds and feelings that I'm always attempting to recapture. I'm more into moods than facts or any other tangible artifacts.

I also have a fascination in the medieval period, particularly in the way people felt and thought. In fact, I'm in the middle of writing a medieval tragedy.

I've only recently become intrigued by the mid-late Victorian period, especially in ex-pat culture abroad and the decline of the Empire.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
The Napoleonic war in the Peninsula,again one of those wars where initially Britain(and Ireland) were the only country to stand up to a dictator intent on the conquest of the world,I love all military history but that period is the one that resonates the most,especially when taken in context with the earlier war with France for the Americas and how the British army changed it's tactics from what it learnt in the first American civil war.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm more into moods than facts or any other tangible artifacts.

This is a big point with me, too.

History has its facts, as well as its 'facts,' but what always fascinated me was what it was like for the average guy on the street during any era. of course, 'average guy' couldve been anyone, but I would generally think of him as me in that time period, both with, and without present day knowledge. I have trouble deciding which scenario would be more preferable - to be totally immersed in another time with no knowledge of our here and now, or to 'travel back' and experience it long enough to really know it, but with my present day knowledge.

Maybe this should be its own thread.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
In high school, I was really big into the American Civil War. Then things shifted to European history and I became fascinated with the French Revolution and Napoleonic France, which I still enjoy. I also like the American Revolution and the Regency period, as well.

I mainly research World War II since that is when my novels take place. However, I have a huge collection of history books spanning the Ancient Celts to 18th Century France to the Troubles in Northern Ireland. They're a pain to move, but I wouldn't part with them for anything. It's saved me numerous trips to the library!

MissHannah

One Too Many
My fashion era is undoubtedly the 50s, but as a graphic designer I'm fascinated by various eras of the 20th century - almost every decade had something incredible going on with design, illustration and typography. I think my favourite is the european modernist movement of the 60s. But I pretty much love it all!

I'm also a lover of 60s interiors - both european and american.

I'm a massive fan of Art Deco and Modernist architecture.

I'll never stop listening to guitar bands of the mid-to-late 1980s as that was when I hit puberty and fell in love with music :)

I love learning about the history of London, right from pre-Roman times - it fascinates me how cities grow and develop and pile layers on top of layers. Peter Ackroyd is fabulous for this.

Dan'l

Practically Family
I love history so, all of the above :D
I have always had an interest in medieval England. There is still something romantic about that time, even though I now have a better understanding of the hard reality of life for that age.
When I was a lad I was facinated with Japan because of their gardens and exotic fashion. I still love Japanese gardens.
Pretty much all of American history is an interest to me.
My family and I do 18th century American colonial reenacting so, that's a big interest. I love the fashion of the 1890s through the 1930s. I love the cars of the late 20s through the early 30s, and then the early 50s. Always had an interest in the 1950s, rock-n-roll, movies, culture. And of course, I spent much of my childhood pretending I was a cowboy in the old west.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I love 17th century dutch history. With a long line of traders, sailors, and "privateers" in my family, the geneology digging led me to a deep interest in those societies. Then you throw in the artistic movements of the time and the innovations in botanical studies ... love it!

CharlieB

A-List Customer
My interest in history is not for any particular time or place so much as a subject. I rally like architectural history, and the history of innovation.

My interests led me to go back to college and get a degree in public history. I have a few years before I can retire the first time (and move into the field full time) so for now, I volunteer at our local historical society in the library/archives.

I do a lot of genealogical research requets, as well as helping patrons with their own research.

I could not be an academic historian, only doing work for other academics. I much prefer helping the general public. People say they "dont liek history" but they all seem to like to learn about "the past"!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I am really interested in the 19th century from two perspectives. First is music: with the bel canto opera in the beginning and the rise of romanticism and then nationalism through the rest, it just has so much to look into. Second is style. I really like mens style from the regency through the turn of the century. There were some great looks.

I have also done some 18th century reenacting, which is really cool.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
History, History, History

I am also very interested in the 1850's to about the 1870's in the U.S. More specifically, the War of Northern Aggression. I have a great-great-grandfather (and his brother) on my father's side that fought for the losing side in that conflict. On my mother's side, I also have a great-great-grandfather that fought for the losing side. A lot of my father's side came from Kentucky so I may have relatives that fought on the Union side as well. Also on my father's side, I have an ancestor that fought in the American Revolution (for the Americans).

I'm also interested in the Jewish history in Byzantium, and in the Jewish population of the south from antebellum through reconstruction of the War period.

Always been fascinated in history from the Civil War until the end of the Reagan years. My main focus of course being interest in the Postwar Prosperity years.

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
Depends on whether it is before or after my kids go to sleep. If before, i'm interested in "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." If after, only the here and now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo