Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

TomSchmitz

New in Town
Hi all -

I have to admit that I'm not a hat collector, just a hat wearer. The technical side of hats is currently beyond my knowledge; I just know how to put it on my head and when to take it off and that it's best for all concerned that I not sit on it.

I wear a ragged cloth fedora (I think it's a Dorfman, but don't remember when or where I bought it) when I might go rolling down a hill or fall in a stream and a regular old Chatham when I ought to look a bit nicer.

This is an interesting forum. Big and a bit intimidating, but interesting.

Tom

fedoracentric

Banned
I think we are all hat wearers first and foremost. Welcome to the board. It will become less intimidating after you've spent many hours tooling around and sussing out the history our members have discovered.

TomSchmitz

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome, and I certainly didn't mean to imply that we're not all wearers first and foremost. Rather, I went off on a Google to find some info on hat reshaping and found this place and was blind-sided. A whole new universe of knowledge and interest that I didn't know existed and it's HUGE!

Tom

fedoracentric

Banned
You are sooooo right. unfortunately, since this place is set up like a discussion board and not really set up to inform, it takes quite a time to sift through it all to finally start to grasp the history of hats we have discovered here.

Unkei

New in Town
On The Appalachian Trail!

My Avatar is from this photo taken by my wife Deborah, as we were hiking the AT, when newly married. (Many moons ago!) Had to hike it in two sections over a two year period due to work obligations. The hat is an inexpensive Eddie Bauer.
imagejpg1_zps7163d364.jpg

Unkei

Last edited:

GregNYC

One Too Many
New to hats - it's time now

Hello all! My name is Greg Goode from NYC. Long-time FL member but not active. I'm a nostalgia buff, fan of mid-20th century workwear, footewear, trad wear, movies, books, paperbacks, pulps, WWII militaria, etc. And now hats!!!

I'm new to hats and have to start wearing them seriously to protect the skin. I had a small basal cell skin cancer on my cheek removed, and my dermatologist told me to avoid UV rays. He said "Baseball caps don't cut it. You have to cover your ears." I was actually glad to be pushed into wearing the hats I've loved for so long but have been intimidated to wear. So now it's time!!

I'm starting out with one Panama hat, from the knowledgeable folks down at J.J. Hatters. I tried on a bunch, and this one fit and looked the best in this color. Of course now I want more colors!!! Going shopping tomorrow.

So I'm here to learn from folks here and talk to others who like hats. As I walk through the streets of NYC in midtown, I see maybe 1 in 1000 wearing a hat of this type. In the shopping districts, the straw Trilby and porkpie models are more popular. Usually with women! So I still feel a bit odd, as though I'm playing dress-up. Maybe you all can give me courage!!

panama-on.jpg

panama-label-back.jpg

panama-label-top.jpg

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Welcome Greg. I know what you mean, I just started wearing hats full-time myself and it does take a little while for them to feel "right". They have just started to become second nature to me. I was recently late for work and ran out of the house without a hat and it felt so wrong that I turned the car around to get it. I was late to work, but at least I had my hat. :D

facade

A-List Customer
Hello all! My name is Greg Goode from NYC. Long-time FL member but not active. I'm a nostalgia buff, fan of mid-20th century workwear, footewear, trad wear, movies, books, paperbacks, pulps, WWII militaria, etc. And now hats!!!

I'm new to hats and have to start wearing them seriously to protect the skin. I had a small basal cell skin cancer on my cheek removed, and my dermatologist told me to avoid UV rays. He said "Baseball caps don't cut it. You have to cover your ears." I was actually glad to be pushed into wearing the hats I've loved for so long but have been intimidated to wear. So now it's time!!

I'm starting out with one Panama hat, from the knowledgeable folks down at J.J. Hatters. I tried on a bunch, and this one fit and looked the best in this color. Of course now I want more colors!!! Going shopping tomorrow.

So I'm here to learn from folks here and talk to others who like hats. As I walk through the streets of NYC in midtown, I see maybe 1 in 1000 wearing a hat of this type. In the shopping districts, the straw Trilby and porkpie models are more popular. Usually with women! So I still feel a bit odd, as though I'm playing dress-up. Maybe you all can give me courage!!

View attachment 15910

View attachment 15911

View attachment 15912

Welcome Greg,

I too started wearing hats first in NYC and also got my first hat at J.J.

As to advice. Given your tastes, you seem destined to become a vintage hat collector. As hard as it may be, I recommend restraint with respect to purchases for now. Many a newbie has come to regret their early purchases once they've learned a bit more about hats.

Wearing a fashionable hat will bring lots of attention. It will be odd at first but eventually that will change. For me I now think something must be wrong when no one is at least stealing a glance. As long as you stay clear of a full on Indy costume look, I'm sure you will find the large majority of attention you receive to be positive.

tommyK

One Too Many
+1 with Facade. Your tastes may change with time. Now I mostly buy high open crown hats I shape myself with brims at least 2 1/2 inches. i started out with a pork pie from JJ. They are a little pricey. You might want to go across the river to Bencraft and save a little. Eventually you'll exhaust your interest in new commercial hats and go vintage or custom or both. I know I have.

tommyK

One Too Many
And don't worry what people think of you in a fedora. Remember it's a practical thing you're wearing for a practical reason. I think sometimes people react to one looking for a reaction or ones unease rather than having any thought of how you look in a proper hat.

Ds5160

New in Town
Hello. I have loved baseball hats for a long time, but many scorched ears and a family history of skin cancer convinced me to start wearing hats that protect more skin. I bought a Bailey Nichols because it allows airflow. The sun protection isn't as good as some other hats, but it is great for summer. Now I need to learn about other types.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Tommy and Facade, thanks for the advice! Most of my tastes come from vintage inspiration like old movies and photos. So I can see myself getting into collecting vintage.

Education first! Any recommended reading?

--Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters