Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

GregNYC

One Too Many
Hello. I have loved baseball hats for a long time, but many scorched ears and a family history of skin cancer convinced me to start wearing hats that protect more skin. I bought a Bailey Nichols because it allows airflow. The sun protection isn't as good as some other hats, but it is great for summer. Now I need to learn about other types.

Welcome from another newbie. It's the same thing here with the baseball caps and family history. For protection during summer hikes and hanging out at the beach, I wear Zinc Oxide sunblock, with boonie hats, a 3"-brim "Joe Fedora" or a 3" Tilley Airflo in olive drab. But any other time, I'm trying to learn the fine art of fine hats. Learning a lot from the friendly folks here!

facade

A-List Customer
Gosh

Tommy and Facade, thanks for the advice! Most of my tastes come from vintage inspiration like old movies and photos. So I can see myself getting into collecting vintage.

Education first! Any recommended reading?

--Greg

Where to look... if only there was a site with almost endless info on hats...

Perhaps you could try this link to start.

Last edited:

Vern Greenfield

New in Town
Hello new to the hat thing well i have always worn a baseball hat but this type of hat i really like. these hats were my wifes grandfathers who died in 1928 i was told these were made some time in the early 20s. the leather hat is in great condition the straw hat is in good shape but has sweat stains. can this hat be cleaned with out hurting it i will wear both hats the straw hat has no markings on it anywhere so i dont know who made it
What do you think
Sorry i can not figure out how to insert pictures yet
Thanks Vern

BrianHicks

New in Town
Hello, like most others in this thread, I'm introducing myself to this new found community. I've spent a few days lurking around and reading numerous posts. What began as a cursory interest in the different styles of Fedoras, has now developed into quit a study of the material culture of hats in general (for example, i never knew there were so many styles of Panama hats). As for me? My only Fedora at the moment, is a vintage 'Regency' model Resistol, but I am looking to expand my Fedora selection.

Ybor City Dave

New in Town
Greetings hat gurus.

I've been wearing hats now for about 2 years, Doctors orders. I've gone the fedora route because they convey dignity in a man my age. I've learned a lot lurking here for a couple of months . My goals are to learn more and acquire an Art Fawcett hat.

Dave

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the lounge Dave! You will enjoy your quest for learning and there is lots to learn. I have multiple "works of Art" so I can tell you by experience that he is a wonderful hatter and great guy.

Ybor City Dave

New in Town
Thanks for your kind welcome guys. I'm sure I will enjoy being a member of the lounge and will be calling Mr. Fawcett today or tomorrow.

Dave

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome aboard Dave, I will be coming your way in November. My Son, grandson, and great Grandsons live there so I'm there as much as time and money allow.
Cheers

Ybor City Dave

New in Town
Let me know when you are in town and I will give you "the grand tour". And at your convenience I would like to discuss having one of your justly famous hats made for me.You and the other folks from the lounge will be most welcome. My family has been here 4 generations now and I can give visitors a different perspective.

Ybor City Dave

New in Town
Yeah, Ybor City and West Tampa still produce some excellent small batch cigars. J.C. Newman also make machine rolled cigars here. The tradition lives on.

Ybor City Dave

New in Town
Thanks for the kind welcome. I will always remember the old men(like me) sitting at a sidewalk café or in the Centro Espanol smoking cigars. And always wearing some great hats. Panamas in the summer and dressier felt hats in winter. People used to "dress to the nines" back then and I will always wonder how they could do it in this subtropical climate.

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Central Florida was a great place to grow up in the 60's/70's and even early 80's. I also remember lots of great fedoras being worn by the older gentleman. I just wish I could go back in time and snap up a few of those great hats that I remember seeing at the flea markets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn