Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Bartender
aswatland said:
I am waiting for colder weather in the autumn Edward. It has been too hot for anything other than an A2 recently!

Heh, tell me about it.... I'm trying to scrape together some cash for an Aero Real Deal before the end of the Summer - it's mostly been too warm even for the AN6552 recently!

On topic..... I have decided that the Irvin for me is definitely the ELC 1940 pattern - if I can manage to shift the stuff I have to go on eBay, I should be able to afford oned for next Winter. :)

Windsock

A-List Customer
Had some rare cold weather lately and it coincided with an open cockpit day at the local Air Museum. They have a static Spit which was recovered from New Guinea a few years ago and restored.

I took the opportunity to try out an Irvin for size. This particular one has quite a bit of wear on the outers of each sleeve and I wanted to see if there would be any part of the interior in particular that could make such impressions. Whilst I did manage to fit it confirms that there would not have been many 6'2" pilots with my gradually increasing frame.

Had a ball doing it though and i'd love on of these at home.....

DSC_0152-Copy.jpg

DSC_0149-Copy3.jpg

This is it in the daylight.

IMG_0310.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Just running a google search this morning, I chanced across the Greycar jackets. Not sure if anyone has seen these before, but I've not seen them mentioned on the Lounge:

http://www.greycar.com/index.php?pa...S&st=jackets&gclid=CJmlur6TsJQCFQuH1QodhkZUuA

Two models:

"The RAF Sheepskin Flying Jacket"

irvin.jpg

"The 'short' RAF Sheepskin Flying Jacket"

irvinshort.jpg

Both based on a mid-war eight panel jacket design:

irvin_b.jpg

They put me in mind of the ALC / Cirrus jackets - not necessarily the most historically accurate when compared to an ELC, but they don't look bad if the quality is there. The price is noticeably lower than all the other options (apart from WPG's budget Irvin) at just under GBP400 for both models. Might be an option for someone who wants to go a bit further than the WPG, but can't quite stretch to one of the higher priced replicas?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've seen them before but never in person Edward. They seem to be marketed at the vintage car crowd.

They don't look too shabby, definitely not the worst Irvin style jacket I've seen but the cuffs look pretty "fluffy" if you get my drift.

Be interesting to hear from someone who has splashed on one of these and can offer an evaluation.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, the vintage car crowd seem to be a big target market forf this sort of stuff (well, an Irvin does look so good with a Morgan!). The ALC range seems to be the same. I agree about the overly fluffy cuffs - a bit of a poodle-cut look to me. Actually, it was seeing pictures of jackets like this (mostly, I think, ALCs advertised in the back of my dad's vintage car mags) over the years that put me off Irvins for a very long time.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Irvin

The guy modeling doesn't look overly pleased though does he? Unlike Mr. Andrew Windsock there, looking very much the part in his real Irvin, sitting in that real Spitfire! Scramble! Great stuff Andrew, you lucky man.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The jacket looks OK, but for a few extra pounds you can get an ELC Irvin! This one is rather dark and seems too large and long for the model-not really a "typical" wartime fit! I wonder what the details are like, such as the zips, belt buckle and collar strap?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nothing much on the website blurb apart from...

"‘Pull-tight’ neck strap with brass rings"

...which I suppose means D rings, although what they are like goodness knows.

But this was most worrying...

"Premium quality North American sheepskin"

...what is the world coming to! The most British of flying jackets not made from good old British sheepskins? Wonders will never cease :D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
I've seen them before but never in person Edward. They seem to be marketed at the vintage car crowd.

They don't look too shabby, definitely not the worst Irvin style jacket I've seen but the cuffs look pretty "fluffy" if you get my drift.

Be interesting to hear from someone who has splashed on one of these and can offer an evaluation.

I think they might be ALC products - look at the front left bottom of the jacket. There is a label sitting on the inside. Same place as ALCs labels.

irvinshort.jpg

Just a thought[huh]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
I think they might be ALC products - look at the front left bottom of the jacket. There is a label sitting on the inside. Same place as ALCs labels.

irvinshort.jpg

Just a thought[huh]

Søren, you might know this...but do AL use US sheepskins or British?

Edward

Bartender
aswatland said:
The jacket looks OK, but for a few extra pounds you can get an ELC Irvin! This one is rather dark and seems too large and long for the model-not really a "typical" wartime fit! I wonder what the details are like, such as the zips, belt buckle and collar strap?

There are some close-up shots of the details on their website.

Label:

irvinshort_e.jpg

Certainly do look very similar to ALC, though can't see ALC making them for someone else and basging them differently when they hold the rights to use the actual "Irvin" name? [huh]

Close up of the sleeve zip - rather modern looking, no?:

irvinshort_c.jpg

Armpit detail - no ventilation grommets...:

irvinshort_d.jpg

As Andrew expected, no collar strap:

irvinshort_f.jpg

I agree entirely that I'd rather spend the small extra premium and get an historically accurate ELC. OTOH, if this jacket is up to scratch quality-wise, I can see how it might appeal to those who care naught for such things and instead want a contemporary take on an Irvin for purely practical purposes.

I agree the length looks off on the standard model - the 'short' version looks a bit closer to me. I presume that the increased length is a concession to modern wear, giving increased converage of the lower spine region in the absence of the trousers that the original was designed to be worn with.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Edward for the pics. Although it is very similar to an AL Irvin, I am inclined to think that it isn't, and that's not just because of the label. The brass fittings are different and I am fairly certain AL have the ventilation grommets.

Wearing a very warm sheepskin jacket without underarm ventilation is a no-no for me.

Save the extra 100 and get an Eastman - but then I would say that wouldn't I :D

Windsock

A-List Customer
I came across these about 3 days ago as well- I wonder if that suggests that they have just launched them. Anyhow, I was struck by similar thoughts as you fellows mentioned, even Ethan's comment about how happy the model looks- or doesn't (actually Ethan I look pretty grumpy myself for some strange reason- maybe i'm just blissed), but they totallly lost me with the business of Long and short Irvins. What a load of @#$%^&! No wonder he looks unimpressed, dressed like a poodle in that long thing with the sleeve zips undone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic