Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is 3.75 oz leather too heavy for an A-2 style jacket?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Just curious. Do knits hold up with all of that weight?
Contemplating a Johnson jacket with that overdye steer...

majormajor

One Too Many
For me, that would be far too heavy for an A2. The ideal hide should be no more than mid weight.

Heavy weight hide is cool, but it sure wouldn't look like an A2

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have one of these;
http://www.johnsonleather.com/m-120.htm

I really like the fit of this jacket so I'm thinking about asking Alan to use this jacket as a base but change around some of the details: no cargo pockets or epaulets, add a horizontal breast pocket, etc.
I want to go with his 3.75 chromexcel cow...
Is there a way to substitute the knits with leather in an appealing way? Would it work?

Lando

Practically Family
I have an M120 from Johnson Leather in their 5oz Bison and the knits hold up just fine for me. The leather section of the cuff helps to take some of the weight off the knits, thus extending their lives, or so I have been told and up to now has remained to be true. Best thing to do would be to email Alan at Johnson Leathers and discuss it with him. I've hammered out a few designs with him and he's quite helpful and patient to work with. If something can be done, and made to look good, Alan will figure it out because it's his company behind the product, so he doesn't want something to look bad any more than you do. I would just send an email, start with the model you're basing it on, and then list all the changes and ask his thoughts on the matter as to the look of it and pricing.

One thing though, a heavier leather may not let your sleeves drape the way they normally do on more mid-weight jackets. My only regret is not having shortened the sleeves on this bison jacket, a mistake I will eventually correct in the summer. That way, I won't miss this jacket when I send it back to Johnson's for the repairs. But think carefully about sleeve length when you get into these heavier weight leathers. This Bison M120 is great for riding, driving, and anything other activity where I lift my arms in the cold and want them to stay warm, but when I have my arms down that heavy leather does have an odd drape to it. That's the only thing I would look out for.

If you don't want the knits though, why not start off with another model of jacket? Like the M200 or something? Is it the cut of the M120 you're looking for? Just curious. Wait, you said you did like the cut of it. Is it the knits that give it the cut that it has I wonder. Just best to email Alan with a slew of questions on the matter.

8583886651_2216198d8e_o.jpg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Wow, great jacket and thanks for your input. Looks kind of like JLStrom's. Good to hear the knits hold up. I actually prefer the knits instead of all leather.
The reason I'm interested in the flight jacket is because I have one. Not sure if I want to risk going to a different model as I'm comfortable with this one. I would add extra length to both body and sleeves so it becomes non returnable if there's something I don't fancy.
I tried selling it a few months back to finance another A-2 but decided to keep my JL, as it has been the most comfortable jacket I've had so far.
This is future prospecting on my end. I'm still not entirely sure if I am getting an Aero next.

Now here's the $50 question:
Go for the 3.75oz overdye steer,
Or source some black FQHH from Horween?

Last edited:

Lando

Practically Family
Worf: They actually get the Bison in a 8 or 9oz weight. It's intended for shoe leather. Johnson's has a company that skives it down to whatever weight you want. And then they build your jacket with it. It adds a bit to the cost but is well worth it. I chose 5oz because I like the heavy weight and it's not stiff at all, very pliable, so I can move around fine in it.

Nick123:I've got a G1 in that Horween brown with black overdye coming some time in the next month or so from Johnson's if you're not trying to pick a jacket quickly. I'll post pictures soon as I get it. Aero's are great, no question, but I've come to just love Johnson's work. They make solid jackets and always have the patience for all the details I may ask them to change, and, I don't have to pay import fees. But in the end, you're picking from one very skilled phenomenal leather company and another very skilled phenomenal leather company. Coin toss?

The Bison is a very soft pliable leather even in the heavy weight. The Horween overdye is pretty stiff when you first get it I've been told. Details to consider.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Worf: They actually get the Bison in a 8 or 9oz weight. It's intended for shoe leather. Johnson's has a company that skives it down to whatever weight you want. And then they build your jacket with it. It adds a bit to the cost but is well worth it. I chose 5oz because I like the heavy weight and it's not stiff at all, very pliable, so I can move around fine in it.

Nick123:I've got a G1 in that Horween brown with black overdye coming some time in the next month or so from Johnson's if you're not trying to pick a jacket quickly. I'll post pictures soon as I get it. Aero's are great, no question, but I've come to just love Johnson's work. They make solid jackets and always have the patience for all the details I may ask them to change, and, I don't have to pay import fees. But in the end, you're picking from one very skilled phenomenal leather company and another very skilled phenomenal leather company. Coin toss?

I had an Aero A-2 (see, I juggle around) on order I chose to cancel because of some financial uncertainty on my end. Felt pretty bad about it actually considering how accommodating Holly was.
Anyhow, it certainly is a coin toss. Though there is some national pride on my end with Johnson's being located in my backyard here in California...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I use the ones I don't like for pulls and coasters. :)

How about little bed sheets for my GI Joes? Anyone?

Jk. I've never ordered leather samples before. I had the impression most companies gave you little 1.5 inch squares, not big enough to coaster cups!

How about little bed sheets for my GI Joes? Anyone?Jk. I've never ordered leather samples before. I had the impression most companies gave you little 1.5 inch squares, not big enough to coaster cups!
Most I've received are ~4" square/rectangles. If you get enough, you could make a 70's style mall patch jacket ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey Lando - You just made up my mind for me. I know what my next custom jacket's gonna be... thanks. Mebbe the folks at JL's give you a "referral discount" on your next hide. Thanks bro!

Worf

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Hey Lando - You just made up my mind for me. I know what my next custom jacket's gonna be... thanks. Mebbe the folks at JL's give you a "referral discount" on your next hide. Thanks bro!

Worf

Tell them I started the thread! Discount!
You will love it Worf.

Lando

Practically Family

Worf

Well I hope you're able to find what you want Worf, and you too Nick123. We're lucky to have a good number of skilled jacket makers out there who can make what we want, and some times what we didn't even know we wanted till they brought it up lol. I didnt even know that Johnson's did Bison until JLStorm posted it here on the lounge: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Jacket-from-Johnsons-Leather!-(sort-of)/page7 That post sent me straight to Johnson's lol. Best of luck guys, post pics when you find what you wanted.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I have an M120 from Johnson Leather in their 5oz Bison and the knits hold up just fine for me. The leather section of the cuff helps to take some of the weight off the knits, thus extending their lives, or so I have been told and up to now has remained to be true. Best thing to do would be to email Alan at Johnson Leathers and discuss it with him. I've hammered out a few designs with him and he's quite helpful and patient to work with. If something can be done, and made to look good, Alan will figure it out because it's his company behind the product, so he doesn't want something to look bad any more than you do. I would just send an email, start with the model you're basing it on, and then list all the changes and ask his thoughts on the matter as to the look of it and pricing.

One thing though, a heavier leather may not let your sleeves drape the way they normally do on more mid-weight jackets. My only regret is not having shortened the sleeves on this bison jacket, a mistake I will eventually correct in the summer. That way, I won't miss this jacket when I send it back to Johnson's for the repairs. But think carefully about sleeve length when you get into these heavier weight leathers. This Bison M120 is great for riding, driving, and anything other activity where I lift my arms in the cold and want them to stay warm, but when I have my arms down that heavy leather does have an odd drape to it. That's the only thing I would look out for.

If you don't want the knits though, why not start off with another model of jacket? Like the M200 or something? Is it the cut of the M120 you're looking for? Just curious. Wait, you said you did like the cut of it. Is it the knits that give it the cut that it has I wonder. Just best to email Alan with a slew of questions on the matter.

8583886651_2216198d8e_o.jpg

Love this jacket ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy