Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to tailor a heavy overcoat?

David Ward

Familiar Face
I found a heavy, almost woolen overcoat in a thrift store - it's a beautiful piece with epaulets. I'm a 38, and the coat is a 40, and does indeed seem to big. How easy (and how expensive) do you all think it would be to have it taken in. Is it even possible? Thanks for your advice.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Expensive and worth it are in the eye of the beholder. Call a local tailor and get a rough idea - see if the shop might let you have the tailor stop in with you to try it on and give you an estimate on resizing it. It's impossible for anyone here to give you an idea without seeing the coat and knowing what you have in mind, and what the going rate is for tailoring in your area.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ditto to what Mike said and add that if the shoulders don't fit on a jacket or coat, walk away.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I unwittingly collect items that don't fit me. I have several 38 sized overcoats, original 30's and 40's overcoats. If you're interested, let me know, I'll post em on here!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Also keep in mind, if you're wearing a suit underneath the overcoat, a size 38 suit jacket would fit nicely under your size 40 overcoat! ;)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Yes, I'd vote to leave it alone! Unless you're absolutely swimming in the coat (unlikely with only one size difference) then the coat is an asset in a size 40. You have room for a suit, a heavy sweater or other garments under it...and although you know may the difference, no one else notices if your overcoat is one size too large - the difference just isn't visible...and the coat is probably more comfortable with a bit of room in it. And don't forget that waistlines sometimes increase, but seldom decrease. You have room to become "the man of your future".

I used to be a 40. Now at age 58 I'm a 44-46.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic