Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to widen the arms of a steerhide jacket?

zebedee

One Too Many
Just wondered this- bought a used Aero one (made by them, not one of their standard patterns) and it's great with a t-shirt or shirt, but restrictive in a sweater. Would wearing it in the rain over a sweater help to loosen it up a bit? Is there a hot water treatment type thing possible?

Cheers.

I can't understand why there are those who would rather walk in the pouring rain when they make plastic spray bottles that anyone can use to get a jacket wet. Just fill the bottle with tap water and spray the sleeves all over until very wet..then 'over stuff' the sleeves with something(old clothes or whatever) and let dry. Then repeat if necessary. If it is ever going to stretch enough this should do it.
HD

pawineguy

One Too Many
I can't understand why there are those who would rather walk in the pouring rain when they make plastic spray bottles that anyone can use to get a jacket wet. Just fill the bottle with tap water and spray the sleeves all over until very wet..then 'over stuff' the sleeves with something(old clothes or whatever) and let dry. Then repeat if necessary. If it is ever going to stretch enough this should do it.
HD

+1 - don't do a hot water treatment, but use room temp or cold water and let it dry slowly while stretching it. It may or may not work, but as HD notes, it's your best bet. Hot water and quick drying = shrinkage.

zebedee

One Too Many
This is because I am a weak-minded fool lacking in practical inspiration. Wonderful idea! Thanks, HD.

This is because I am a weak-minded fool lacking in practical inspiration. Wonderful idea! Thanks, HD.

I really doubt that. It's just that there are some that seem to have never considered spraying with a spray bottle...but,I suppose,there are also those that don't mind or even insist that a good soaking in the rain is preferable because it's just more 'natural'..[huh]
HD

zebedee

One Too Many
I think I may have been asked: 'Why don't you just [insert eminently practical suggestion]' far more often than most... :eusa_doh:

Be as it may, you can't widen the sleeves. Not significantly, at least. The jacket can get more pliable and by so, comfortable, but that's about it.

Oddly so, people usually complain about Aero's sleeves being too baggy.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I missed the part about this being on an Aero! Unless it's a premium slim fit model I can't imagine this being anything but a "how do I shrink?" inquiry. Them things can be like bat wings!! :D ;)

There are sprays sold for stretching leather, most commonly for shoe stretching. You can make one yourself by a 3-1 mixture of water/isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Try spraying the sleeves and wearing the jacket. Might help.

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn't try anything drastic, or you could end up with a jaxcket you still can't wear, that carries damage that kills its resale value....

Which model of Aero is it? If it's a Highwayman, you're either wearing a size too small, or trying to fit a ridiculously large jumper on underneath it. If it's one of the pre-war style halfbelts, IMO they're just not designed to be worn with a thick sweater.

jglf

A-List Customer
From my experience, if you have arms larger than 16in, stick with the highwayman. The half belt can be worn, but only with a t shirt or a thin button up shirt. Don't even think about the flight jackets. The sleeves were nearly bursting and the body was way too boxy.

zebedee

One Too Many
It's not one of the standard cuts- it's a double-breasted, wide-collared mutant with flap pockets in what looks to be a very dark brown (almost black) non-shiny steerhide. It was on the sale page for a while so I snapped it up. Wearing in the rain and with a sweater seems to have loosened it somewhat, which is good. I wouldn't apply a chemical to it for fear of damage. It's a fantastic coat over a light shirt.

armscye

One of the Regulars
To lengthen or widen a sleeve, (a) wash jacket in cold water, (b) hang on padded hanger (c) insert a soda beverage bottle of the desired diameter, filled with water if you want to lengthen the sleeve (d) let dry, (e) recondition with your favorite flavor of liquid or goop leather treatment.+

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy