Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the B3 jacket "too much"?

IXL

One Too Many
I have a B-3 that comes in real handy when standing around while tending the Big Green Egg smokers on days when it is in the 10°s-20°s F and the winds kick up some. And, as a bonus, after cooking ribs, pork shoulder, or brisket all day, that jacket smells GOOD.........

IXL

One Too Many
Grayland, I can see you are a "fine eats" connoisseur. :D Funny thing, people never want to try it, don't think it sounds at all tasty, and then can never get enough of the stuff.
Can you by chance offer a wine suggestion to pair with this regional fare? I would ask locally but everyone around here is still recovering from the huge "white wine with possum?" fracas which erupted over the Christmas holiday. That one got a bit out of hand and sadly, there was no final consensus.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Grayland, I can see you are a "fine eats" connoisseur. :D Funny thing, people never want to try it, don't think it sounds at all tasty, and then can never get enough of the stuff.
Can you by chance offer a wine suggestion to pair with this regional fare? I would ask locally but everyone around here is still recovering from the huge "white wine with possum?" fracas which erupted over the Christmas holiday. That one got a bit out of hand and sadly, there was no final consensus.

I make it a point to always try the local delicacies when I travel, but I've never traveled through Oklahoma. I'm a huge BBQ fan and have eaten BBQ through most of the South and Texas. Yes, I know Texas is often considered part of the South, but it was it's own "country" in my mind. As a matter-of-fact, I teach culinary arts and just spent the past fall semester on sabbatical "studying" North Carolina BBQ. I traveled and ate the NC BBQ Trail - 23 old-school BBQ joints that still cook over live coals - so many places have switched to gas. It was as great as it sounds. Honestly, I like all of the BBQ I've had. Each area is different, but good BBQ transcends borders. I love Texas brisket as much as NC whole hog BBQ.

I would try a Zinfandel with Oklahoma tenderloin - the red Zinfandel, not the blush white Zinfandel. Zin usually works with grilled/smoky meats, but a long neck may be the best choice and prevent people from asking, "You ain't from around here, are you boy?"

nabottle

A-List Customer
I think it's great that you have a B-3 and screw anyone who says anything but, "WOW! You look totally BAD ASS!"

I have a B-3 and you'd better believe I wear that sucker any time I get the chance. Even though I live in SUPER CHILLY Florida, I've worn it on several evenings in the last 2 months and I'll continue to blast all of the negativity I get and I haven't gotten much at all. It makes a statement about who you are and how you feel. It's a man's jacket.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I'd love me a B-3, but even in PA, I doubt I'd have that much of a use for it. I'm originally from Upstate NY (north of Albany) and I could see wearing it alot there in the winter.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I make it a point to always try the local delicacies when I travel, but I've never traveled through Oklahoma. I'm a huge BBQ fan and have eaten BBQ through most of the South and Texas. Yes, I know Texas is often considered part of the South, but it was it's own "country" in my mind. As a matter-of-fact, I teach culinary arts and just spent the past fall semester on sabbatical "studying" North Carolina BBQ. I traveled and ate the NC BBQ Trail - 23 old-school BBQ joints that still cook over live coals - so many places have switched to gas. It was as great as it sounds. Honestly, I like all of the BBQ I've had. Each area is different, but good BBQ transcends borders. I love Texas brisket as much as NC whole hog BBQ.

When I was over there a few years ago, we discovered the Woodlands Barbecue Restaurant and Pickin’ Parlour's 'Pig Out Special', which gave us 100 per cent of our month's recommended cholesterol intake in the space of an hour. It was worth it completely! :D

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
First time post here, but I have had some good advice previously.

(I'm 6'1" and a bit portly).

I had a colleague tell me that I looked ridiculous in something like it - along the lines of a fancy fur coat.

First, Welcome.

Second, You are Portly, So What ? Great! It probably fits outstanding.

Third, Your idiot colleague is an idiot? I think you already knew that. The rest of the world's disapproval is your confirmation.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm a bigger guy, and I wear an Aero B-3 in a size 50.
Sure, due to it's high quality materials and details (which most people under 50 have maybe never seen in clothes before), it seems a little 'flamboyant', but I think that the B-3 has a lot of character, and you should wear it with just as much brazen lack of apology. When I step out in my B-3, I'm all smiles. Men notice, and I see them taking in the details when they think I'm not looking, and I've lost count of how many ladies have walked past me and said 'cute!' out loud on the assumption that I don't speak Japanese.

Wearing a B-3 is a statement, just like wearing a good fedora, and in the same way, for every 'Indy!' comment, I've had ten 'Ah, a gentleman' comments.

There are days when I don't feel like the attention, and wear a Peacoat, or an N-3B instead.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'd consider moving to a colder climate just to be able to wear a sheepskin fleeced jacket. You guys all look great in them. Most visually impressive jackets out there.

Also, is California really too warm for a D-1? Just curious.

civilguy007

New in Town
I believe the collar size that you are concerned about is probably entirely accurate, though it does appear sometimes over large to modern eyes.

I have an Irvin and often also wonder if I'm not dressing a bit like a dandy in it. But, it's warm, comfortable, and reminds me of those who lived in more dangerous times and who's exploits should not be forgotten.

I also rather think that, as the jacket breaks in, it gradually looks less and less over the top as you don't look quite so much like you are being eaten by a teddy bear. Then I think the old "bomber jackets" begin to look more lived in and well loved.

At least that was my experience with my B-6 which didn't really look the part for about 4 or 5 seasons after I got it.

As for the heat part, only you can decide that. I have gotten quite a bit of wear out of my Irvin when the temps get down in the 20s and even the low 30s if I'm not doing something too active. Some feel like it's not worth even breaking out unless there are polar bears around. But I find it great to stroll around in on a raw day or sit and let the dogs run around warm and comfortable. (Edit: it's me that's comfortable, not the dogs...they already have their own fur coats)

I've even laid out in the hammock in the 40s and slept away the afternoon in it, so it really depends on the weather you have and the comfort level you get when wearing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just returned from my evening walk with the Dog. In my B-3 Jacket, a 1 mile walk in -5 F, B-3 Jacket,
Sorry about that...as I was saying, the B-3 kept me toasty warm in the bitter cold. I love my B-3. I told my wife that I want to be buried in it.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I'm about to leave for work and with the wind chill it's -8 F (-22 C)....I wish I had a B-3 to wear today (warmth first, worrying about what others may think a very distant second!).

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I read either here or VLJ that a guy would wear a B-3 out walking the dog in below zero weather with just a t-shirt on underneath and work up a sweat.

Don't know if that speaks for how warm the jackets are, or how out of shape the guy is, tho.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I read either here or VLJ that a guy would wear a B-3 out walking the dog in below zero weather with just a t-shirt on underneath and work up a sweat.

Don't know if that speaks for how warm the jackets are, or how out of shape the guy is, tho.

Well, I can sit outside a coffee shop for two hours, in the falling snow, whilst smoking a cigar, in my B-3 with just a T-shirt underneath.

Edward

Bartender
Bang on with tge fedora comment. If you can wear a decent hat, you can wear a b3. Who cares what the normals think?

As to temperature, that's purely an individual thing. I get a lot of use out of my shearlings here in London, usually from November to late January. Sometimes later in the year.

I'm a bigger guy, and I wear an Aero B-3 in a size 50.
Sure, due to it's high quality materials and details (which most people under 50 have maybe never seen in clothes before), it seems a little 'flamboyant', but I think that the B-3 has a lot of character, and you should wear it with just as much brazen lack of apology. When I step out in my B-3, I'm all smiles. Men notice, and I see them taking in the details when they think I'm not looking, and I've lost count of how many ladies have walked past me and said 'cute!' out loud on the assumption that I don't speak Japanese.

Wearing a B-3 is a statement, just like wearing a good fedora, and in the same way, for every 'Indy!' comment, I've had ten 'Ah, a gentleman' comments.

There are days when I don't feel like the attention, and wear a Peacoat, or an N-3B instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy