Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the B3 jacket "too much"?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Wear your shearling with pride my friends and be damned what the Hoi Polloi think, for they are without thought or style" (bn1966 2015)...been reading too much Beau Brummel :-D

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
For sure! It's the same kind of feeling as driving to the convenience store in my PJ's and slippers.

There's something quite freeing about wearing a shearling over a t-shirt in the middle of winter. :)

Word!

I hate wearing clothes so warm that they make me sweat indoors....and I do run hot.

Wear a shearling outside. Come inside and whip it off for t-shirt or one layer comfort!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Word!

I hate wearing clothes so warm that they make me sweat indoors....and I do run hot.

Wear a shearling outside. Come inside and whip it off for t-shirt or one layer comfort!

Ha ha! I know the feeling!
Enforced Christmas shopping with the wife is a great time for a B-3 with a T-shirt- outside in the cold, then into hot stores, I can just unzip the B-3 and I'm fine.

tropicalbob

Word!

I was wondering how the Europeans feel about this. We Americans don't worry as much about heating our homes because oil is cheaper here, and we tend to waste energy. I don't know if it's still true, but when I've lived there in winter household temps were kept much lower. At least a sweater was necessary. All this is why I stayed in the pub. Honest.

kowalski

Practically Family
We Americans don't worry as much about heating our homes because oil is cheaper here,
somewhere must be more expensive to have someone cheaper:cool:
and we tend to waste energy.
it true, very big capacity car engine:car:,ect ...oh you Americans!, like have all very big
I don't know if it's still true, but when I've lived there in winter household temps were kept much lower. At least a sweater was necessary. Honest.

;and it is much healthier, for nature and for people ;)

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
I was wondering how the Europeans feel about this. We Americans don't worry as much about heating our homes because oil is cheaper here, and we tend to waste energy. I don't know if it's still true, but when I've lived there in winter household temps were kept much lower. At least a sweater was necessary. All this is why I stayed in the pub. Honest.

An interesting point and one I've pondered about.

When I dress up in the states in a tux, suit, or blazer I'm usually hotter than hell. Ties of course don't help. I always find it interesting that we in the states still wear essentially cold weather clothing (like ties which are pretty clearly related to neck cloths) in buildings that are 68-75 degrees.

Still and all, I've always tended to run hot. So, even were I to have a dress shirt or flannel, or even the rare indoor sweater on, it's nice to be able to wear comfortable indoor clothes and throw on my Irvin on a cold day and be done with it.

Though I'd have to admit, I'm digging my RAF jumper even inside during this 10 degree weather and outside with the Irvin, I can laugh off the cold like a Russian!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender

My folks tell me home heating oil is now four or five times what it was when they installed the oil boiler. I'm lucky that my flat has central block plant heating, much cheaper to run. I tend to keep it switched fairly low most of the time, though (heating is available for radiators September through May); doesn't cost much to run, but it can be unbearable up full blast and I'm more comfortable in a sweater than having to strip off because the radiator is blazing. Tends to be warm in my place anyhow even without the heating... I've only got one room that has two outside walls.

tonypaj

Practically Family

I like it to be 21 C indoors, summer winter, no matter what. That is comfortable to me. Though my house is 200+ years old, thick stone walls that get cold in the winter, and do not keep the heat out in the summer. Thus the heating bill is what it is.

I'm from way up north, and the coldest I ever felt was while living in the UK. Madness, I tells ya. You guys can keep your sweaters :)

tonypaj

Practically Family
My folks tell me home heating oil is now four or five times what it was when they installed the oil boiler. I'm lucky that my flat has central block plant heating, much cheaper to run. I tend to keep it switched fairly low most of the time, though (heating is available for radiators September through May); doesn't cost much to run, but it can be unbearable up full blast and I'm more comfortable in a sweater than having to strip off because the radiator is blazing. Tends to be warm in my place anyhow even without the heating... I've only got one room that has two outside walls.

The heating oil is now about 60% of what it was a couple of years back. It will go up again. But for now oil is by far the best choice for me. And all but one of my rooms have two outside walls...

bn1966

Mad weather here...could have got away with the Irvin today too :-D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
We've just had two huge storms charging through the country. Before leaving Copenhagen for a drive across country I threw in my trusted Irvin and my 1936 pattern flying boots. Sure glad I did.
When I reached the bridge crossing Storebælt, it was closed for several hours ( five and a half) due to the storm. Since it is the only way across, I just put on my boots and my Irvin and went to sleep on the backseat...toasty and cosy!

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
We've just had two huge storms charging through the country. Before leaving Copenhagen for a drive across country I threw in my trusted Irvin and my 1936 pattern flying boots. Sure glad I did.
When I reached the bridge crossing Storebælt, it was closed for several hours ( five and a half) due to the storm. Since it is the only way across, I just put on my boots and my Irvin and went to sleep on the backseat...toasty and cosy!

Good show!

Wearing sheepskin is like never leaving bed!

Unfortunately, I never had a reason to wear my Irvin with my old military flight suits...those things were like pajamas and it would have been the perfect combination!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schwa

New in Town
I really appreciate all of the feedback from thefedoralounge members. (is TFL and acceptable abbreviation?)

One of my favorite quotes is "like you are being eaten by a teddy bear" - I do feel like that sometimes.

Another good thought is how nice it is to go out into the most beastly weather with just a t shirt under the B3. I have a pair of shearling boots that let me venture out in bare feet.

I am portly, but the jacket does fit. I hope to slim down some, and it will be more flattering then.

I live near Boston, MA - it does get cold enough to wear the jacket (<20 F) from time to time. And the city is not absolutely fashion averse.

I'll keep the jacket - it seems that it's not for every day. But it is something special.

If I were to do it again, I might have gone with a B6, but a size 50 B6 might be a bigger unicorn than my B3...

jonbuilder

Than again one could always go this route $_12.JPG

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Minus 12 Fahrenheit this mornin'. Went with my Pike Bros B-10. Not as warm as my Pre-war Irvin but on par with my D1. The pile is so thick as to be annoying at times but I was glad for it today.

Worf

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner