Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the vintage crowd the curmudgeon crowd?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm often out on the road with the drinking crowd at 2 and 3 am on weekends. I'm the one putting them in the back of the ambulance after they've crashed. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I was never able to stay up late, so I don't miss it now. And before I started dancing in 2002, what was there to do at midnight besides sit on a bar stool? I'd rather look at the inside of my eyelids.

Cricket

Practically Family
I am 27 years old, and I am already started to feel too old to be out past a certain hour. And honestly, my body can't take it either.
I could stay up till the sun came up. Drink like a fish. Dance till me feet fell off. Then I could be at work at 8 a.m. I may be a little red eyed, but I was able to get my job done perfectly.
Then my husband and I had our first son. If I don't have a good night's sleep, I am worthless the next day. I honestly need to be home by midnight to accomplish anything the next day.
No more week day outings either. Strictly one night a weekend if that many.
My body is telling me to slow down too. Yes, "i can't hang anymore."
Besides, my son doesn't want to hear how mommy and daddy are feeling the pain when he is ready to watch Mickey at 6a.m.

To be honest, if I met me 10 years ago, I would have thought I was crazy!lol

To me, a quiet evening at a dinner with a bottle of wine with my husband. A 7 p.m. movie afterwards, followed by a wind down at home with a cup of tea suits me now.

$ally

One Too Many
I'll be 43 next month and I'm still a night owl. When I had a day job and motherly duties I had to adjust early rising, but it didn't come naturally. Just depends on ones internal clock I guess.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Never liked sleep much. [huh] [huh] Too much living to do not enough time to do it in. lol lol I do not necessarily mean partying, but, I do mean living. :)

I am decisive and walk my own walk. I do not think that is being a curmudgeon. Talk to my friends I am sure they will give you a different answer.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Have we become the early bird dinner crowd that is expected to leave before the real guests that like to party show up?

I'm on the phone with a friend of mine in New York and he's complaining that the retro club he just left closed at midnight. Now midnight in New York to me is usually my second hour into the night.

So what are you like? You go out to dress up? Have fun? Hang out?

Do you go out to see the vintage crowd because you think they are the clean cut crowd that likes what you like, or are you out to be on the town dressed well ready to party?

I'll ad more in a sec.

You can't seem to go anywhere that has a dinner and a show that lasts later into the night. The Stork Club, El Morocco.

In answer to the topic question, the answer is not necessarily, curmudgeons are found in every group.

The group of people I "hang" with are all middle-age, as I am. We don't "party into the night", especially when we have our fill of food and a few alcoholic beverages. There's no specific cut-off time, but most of us are getting tuckered out by midnight. Even when I was in my 20s I never cared for the all-night party thing because as alcohol took it's affect on people, they turned from being civilized and fun to obnoxious ruffians and bores. Like the bumper sticker I saw once, "Instant [fill in the blank]hole - just add alcohol!". I'm more like Carlisle Blues, my spare time is spent "living" - going places, doing things, mini-adventures. Partying just for the sake of partying is mostly a waste of time and money for me.

However I would like more opportunity to dress up and go out with other vintage-minded folk. My usual group is a sweat-shirts and jeans crowd. If I even put on a dress shirt and sweater vest with no tie, I'm overdressed for them.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm a closet curmudgeon.

I am, and always have been, a night owl. But I quit drinking 15 years ago. It used to be that every night was Saturday night - and every Saturday night was New Year's Eve! Now I just stay up but stay home, and keep it nice and quiet.

But I have to admit that when I am around a carousing crowd, or I can actually hear a party going on next door with all the usual alcohol fueled foolishness, it irritates me. I just don't give vent to those feelings as I know how hypocritical it would be considering the antics I put others through in my partying days.

$ally

One Too Many
No, I don't think the Phoenix vintage crowd is grumpy or disapproving as a whole. I feel the early nights are imposed upon us by the venues because we don't bring a big money-making scene. Most public events are scheduled for evening or even afternoon. Although many people leave early because of responsibilities such as work and children.
I don't drink often or in large amounts, I never smoke, don't use, not a swinger, never had a child out of wedlock; extremely clean cut. Yet, I still stay out all night at private gatherings. We make our own fun.

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
I don't go out often, but when I do go out I just want to have an enjoyable night with friends. I tend to leave when crowds gets heavy. Lots of people can get overwhelming for me personally. I often like intimate places more. I don't drink to get drunk, just relaxed and a fine tasting drink makes me happy. I tend to go out more for lunch, Antique shopping and Art Galleries in the early evenings. I do love my beauty sleep, so you won't see me out 4am or up at 7am. I always have to have a plan if not I stay home or go out to dinner depending on my financial situation. Plus, I am picky where I go. I don't just go anywhere because I'm bored. I suppose it all depends.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Vintage curmudgeon? Balderdash! I was a curmudgeon long before "old" became "vintage" and "yesterday" became "old". :D

I'm only twenty-six, but I was a "grumpy old man" before i could even drink legally. Of course, I was also still in the Marine Corps and bedtime was somewhere around 2-3 after drinking all night, but that's beside the point.

Schofields

Familiar Face
does new jersey have a vintage crowd?

i dont do NYC in terms of going out. i dont drink plus clubs (or anything loud at this point) give(s) me a headache.

im a boring homebody lol

Lets see:
Curmudgeon
1 archaic : miser
2: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

Hmmmm..... I am usually ill tempered when I have been up all night drinking and partying. So I suppose they go together. ;) :p
As it goes, however, the venues that are available to me make no sense when I can't have my younger children with me, can't smoke my cigars, can't stay as long as I would like and the crowds pressing in on me don't make me too happy---in fact cause curmudgeonliness. ;)
Therefore, I would much rather have a group of friends over and do the same things in my own home without worrying about getting home safely etc.
Oh, and it is cheaper to stock my own bar and humidor. ;)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
MK said:
I realize that there are people who start their evening at 10:00 and go into the wee hours, but I always wonder what are they doing from 5-10PM. That's five hours!

I know it is an age thing. I remember when I was first married, my wife and would call my folks at 7:00 to see if they wanted to go to dinner, forgetting they usually ate around six.

I used to never go to bed before midnight. Since having kids, that has changed. Early to bed, early to rise, may not make me healthy, wealthy or wise.....but it allows me to have a good relationship with my kids AND have a life.

Besides, staying up late and being burnt out the next day is over rated.

Same here as far as staying out late. I think most older people (like me) notice as the years go by that the body doesn't recover as easily from missing sleep. I made up for it with afternoon naps in my 40's, but now I simply go to bed before 10:00 and wake up early and feeling good...and I still manage to find others who are fun, doing the same stuff. And BTW - I learned this lesson long before my kids left home!

When was the last time you heard someone in the morning with a hang-over say, "Damn - I wish I had had ONE more drink last night!"

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Im only 23 and I still don't stay out til the wee hours of the morning. Maybe Im ADD but I seriously get bored after a few hours of partying.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
TheDutchess said:
Im only 23 and I still don't stay out til the wee hours of the morning. Maybe Im ADD but I seriously get bored after a few hours of partying.

I'm with you. But in my case, it takes about two minutes.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Back in my San Francisco days, I would usually leave the house at about ten, hit the club and dance till one or two, five or six nights a week. But I didn't drink and was in great shape, and could sleep till 10 or so as i pleased.

here in Seattle, I am a night owl and rarely hit the hay before 1. But I don't go out much. We have no real place to wear vintage. We have some dancing, but it is mostly kids and not at all a vintage scene. It can often go late if the club allows, but the music gets slow and boring.

These days I have been falling in with a younger crowd of guys. We pretty much go out and approach and hang out with women. The do pretty much what I did in my twenties, which is hang out, drink, and chat every night till one or two. But these days I can only go out a few times a week if i want to maintain any kind of rested state at all.

As far as the title of this thread, I thought you were going to address the often curmudgeonly attitude the lounge seems to be heading towards. I hate the seventies, i hate justin timberlake, I hate this I hat that, things were better then. To all those who are keeping it positive, thank you.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
reetpleat said:
As far as the title of this thread, I thought you were going to address the often curmudgeonly attitude the lounge seems to be heading towards. I hate the seventies, i hate justin timberlake, I hate this I hat that, things were better then. To all those who are keeping it positive, thank you.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Foofoogal

Banned
I hate this thread.:eusa_doh: lol :D

When I was young we used to go dancing almost every night. Didn't think about arriving till 9:00 and stayed till closed and went out to breakfast.
Now it takes me 2 wks. to recuperate from one night of after 12:00. So I say pace yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy