Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"It" - For the Gals.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
images

Grace Kelly is one of the most beautiful women on screen and probably that ever lived!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Absolutely, positively...

RetroModelSari said:
If it´s a vintage lady Priscilla Lane...
Just watched Arsenic and Old Lace again...

Priscilla's eyes just grab your heart by the throat and won't let go...

pl1lg.jpg

PLne.jpg

AND, she married a USAAF flyboy (not Robert Cummings, of course.) What a gal!

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
...I don't think Marilyn Monroe had It....I think she was too affected in her mannerisms, her blonde hair too fake...there wasn't much within her that shined through, for me.

i think her innocent soul shone through her eyes and through everything else you mentioned. but maybe i am just imagining things.

lara

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
Are you kidding Matt? :)

portrait.jpg

this has to be one of the oddest portraits of the golden age i have seen. weird whites of the eyes, strange shadows going every which way...strange pic.

in looking at all the choices, it seems that ALL the famous women of the era had IT.

i have to go with hepburn and amelia earhart. both of whom photograph beautifully.

rsg

Solitaire

New in Town
Speaking of "it" girls, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Colleen Moore. She was not only a star of the silent screen, but her marriage provided one of the major scenes of "A Star is Born", and then she founded Merrill Lynch!

Wallis Simpson certainly had style, but I don't think she could be thought to have "it".

And of course, Bettie Page!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I still think that Maureen O'Hara, though feisty and down-to-earth, was as an ethereal lady of the screen as anyone. She had "it," but in almost a "I'm not going to just parade myself around, I've got 'it' on the inside AND out." What a lady.
Just as a note, it's such a joy to find others who were most decidely born in the wrong era. Pleased to meet you ladies!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Ms. Rosalind Russell

People!

I went through this whole link and didn't find my favorite. So I'm adding her now.

The spectacular Rosalind Russell. What a dame. Her role in "His Girl Friday" set the tone for smart dames across the US and "Auntie Mame"--every woman with a nephew's role model.

2005726054861424847_rs.jpg

2005732952222278939_rs.jpg

Spectacular!

What makes her it is just as much her wit as her face. And she was a humanitarian in her personal life, and gave great parties and just lived life to the fullest.

Hey, has anyone read that book that came out a few years ago called, "Fast Talkig Dames" and had Ms. Russell on the cover? It was a great book. It had a chapter on Rosalind and one on Myrna Loy too. Terrific book!

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
His Girl Friday

I loved that movie...and Cary Grant...oh...and her too.
:rolleyes:

Actually I did love their fast-talking exchanges, her independent character, and, of course, her wardrobe!

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Well, lessee:

Sophia Loren certainly!

Ava Gardner

Jean Simmons (no, not the one from KISS ;) lol)

Ingrid Bergman

Sorry, don't have time to look up accompanying pictures just now.

Elaina

One Too Many
img008.jpg
Olivia de Havilland

I have always thought she was just stunning. If I could look like anyone, it has always been her (and I'm not a huge GWTW fan.)
frederick.jpg

Pauline Frederick

Has to be one of my favorite silent era women. She had a presence that caught me when I was really little.

Elaina

LadyStardust

Practically Family
No.1 for me is Garbo, and I am actually quite surprised she apparently has little to no admirers on here.[huh]
Anywho, my second nomination is Janet Gaynor, who I think is absolutely darling. Wholesome, adorable, courageous, persevering, charming, caring, kind...that's "it" to me. All the qualities more people should strive for!
r96canada-gaynor.jpg

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Also, in regards to the mention that are very few modern actresses that seem to have an Old Hollywood "it" factor, there is one, Juliette Binoche, who has always struck me as very classic. She's very subtle and demure, both in her acting and personality, but she's left more of an impression on me than anyone else of today.
ch12.jpg

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Oh, lovely ones here already but Magneto has such a good points about some of the silent stars. I watched (they made me) a whole load of Harold Lloyd silents and was struck by Bebe Daniels. She was feisty. Don't think much of the one Lloyd married (insipid).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner