Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It has been set into motion...

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Hello fellow loungers,

Well, it has been set into motion...

A few years ago I was living in Germany. I met a coworker, who later became a friend, and he introduced me to TFL. As he described to me his love for the classics, be it cars, motorcycles, vintage wear, etc., I became intrigued. I began to troll the pages of TFL and to educate myself. He told me of a new jacket he'd ordered from Gasoline Alley, in Munich, and described it to me. "It's Front Quarter Horsehide" he said. It's from a company in Scotland that has been making hand-made, high quality leather jackets for years. He said "they are one of the few companies that source the material and still make things the old-fashioned way." "They use Horween Leather, from Chicago, IL."

I was mystified. I soon took a trip to Gasoline Alley myself. I fell in love. In love with the cool sailboat models, the Ferrari paraphernalia, the Red Wing boots, worn leather goods, vintage cigarette lighters, etc. I wasn't in a position to buy, but boy did I want to.

As the years went by (along with the controversies over Alexander Leather vs Aero) I kept educating myself. I kept watching, learning, imagining myself in that thick, rich hide.

Last year I purchased a Schott G-1. It looked good, but it was too light in color and it wasn't FQHH. Here is is:
IMG_2280.jpg

This year I became particularly weak and decided to start looking for a used jacket. Should I go with Alexander? Yes, I think I will. An eBay auction. No, wait, then it wouldn't be an Aero. This is what I fell in love with, right? This is what I wanted. So lets search Aero. Wait, I should measure a jacket that fits me, right? Yes, I think so. 26.5 inch sleeves. 28 inch length. 19.5 inch shoulders. Check. Let's look for an Aero jacket. Here's one..wait, 25" sleeves? Here's another, 25" length. This is going to be hard. I think I'll try TFL classifieds. Here's an offer for a FQHH Cafe Racer, (thanks pawineguy). 19.5" shoulders, 27" sleeves, 27" length. It's perfect! I'll take it, but wait..it's a 42 and I'm a 44. It's okay...that's what everyone says, right.

So I get the jacket and try it on....oh man. It only measured 26.25" in length. Uh-oh. The armpits were tight (I knew I needed a 44) BUT THE LINER IS BEAUTIFUL! No, The fit doesn't work. (sick feeling). I'll sell it.

So I begin looking again. It's the wrong leather, too short, too light, too dark, ugh!!!

Then I ran across this jacket from 06911s. Oh baby. Then another from mowgli222. Oh baby. Now, THIS is what I was after. Not too Highwayman, not too Cafe Racer...not too rugged, not too refined. My "goldilocks" of jackets, "just right".

So imagine this:
500x1000px-LL-04eccd2c_AeroSheen4.jpg
Mixed with a little of this
DSC_9007.jpg
...all while trying to avoid this:
IMG_6555 3_zpsza56wobe.jpg

Yes, I finally did it. A custom order from Thurston Bros. Everything to address my broad shoulders, chest-to-waist ratio, and long torso. Let's hope this does the trick. Many thanks to pawineguy, 06911s, mowgli222, Thurston Bros (Carrie), and the many other users who have answered my questions, offered me their jackets for sale, etc. You have all been great. Now the waiting game begins.

Here are the final jacket specs:
STYLE- Sheene (standard Café Racer with Highwayman collar) with three-pocket front, no shoulder gussets, no kidney panel, with single-point “V” yoke and two-piece arms

SIZE- 44

LEATHER- Heavy CXL FQHH (customer request grainy hide)

COLOUR- Brown (customer requests darkest brown possible)

ZIPPER METAL TYPE- Antique brass Talon with antique brass bell pulls with horsehide pulls on handwarmers pockets and antique brass diamond pull on chest pocket

LINING- Ogilvie of Airlie Ancient lightweight wool lining with brown cotton drill in sleeves

STORM CUFFS- No

SLEEVE LENGTH- 27 inches

BODY LENGTH- 28.25 inches

INSIDE POCKETS- Left vertical interior pocket with no closure

FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS –

1) Three-pocket front design—left side horizontal chest pocket and two handwarmers
2) No shoulder gussets
3) No kidney panel
4) With single-point “V” yoke
5) Please construct jacket with two-piece arms
6) Regular Aero Label

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Congrats mate. These jackets are like a packet of chips, or a cold beer. Impossible to stop at one...

markforce

New in Town
Congrats -- look forward to seeing the pics! Daft question.. I am assuming Aero would process this customized order as well?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the identical spec of my next jacket...just in my size of course.

Make sure you post some pics when it arrives!

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Yes, in fact, Holly from Aero responded to a request. I just wasn't sure if I'd incur a tax penalty from ordering abroad. I was comforted by Carrie and Thurston Bros' streamlined process. I also contacted Alexander directly, but to my surprise...the "only" brown FQHH they had available was a havana brown. It did not appear as dark as what I was looking for.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Fit Pictures will definitely be posted when the jacket arrives. It may already be spring at that point, but there will still be some photos taken :)

technovox

One Too Many
Congratulations on your new Aero! And the Sheene is an excellent choice- classic, simple, well-balanced, very versatile, and that Brown FQHH just gets better with age.

Let's see some pics when it arrives!

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Did you get a test fit jacket from Wade and Carrie? If so, that removes most of the worry from getting a good fit.

I got a Sheene through them several months ago, and it is my favorite leather jacket when the temps are above freezing. Below that, and if I go with leather, it will be the Thunder Bay.

The Sheene is an outstanding jacket, and you will be very happy with it. P2P on your Sheene will be 24", which will give a very fitted look on a size 44 chest. PC.

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
The Sheene is a great jacket.. And you can never go wrong working with Thurston.. And you are right that the hardest part is going to be the wait..

pawineguy

One Too Many
Congrats, the best part of going through this process is that you really end up better understanding what does and doesn't work for you, including very distinct tartans!

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Congratulations on your new Aero! And the Sheene is an excellent choice- classic, simple, well-balanced, very versatile, and that Brown FQHH just gets better with age.

Let's see some pics when it arrives!
Will do! Your jacket was among the ones that drew me in, too. I am sorry I forgot to list you individually. Great jacket indeed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff