Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It must be raining somewhere, right?!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Totes
Brigg
Fox

All fine Brollys, bumbershoots, rain deflectors.

I have a few umbrellas in my collection and the way I see the world you shouldn't never live life without one. Oh it can be left in the trunk of the car... and if you are traveling they do become cumbersome to carry. I myself have the three listed above and they each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Totes stick umbrella isn't very sturdy so I could never recommend using it for support like a walking stick. The brolly does however have a good staying power when attacked by wind witch most modern umbrellas don’t. I saw it all over France when the rain and wind came, Umbrellas turned inside out… especially those little flimsy over folding purse housed ones all the ladies carry.
18cnd-weather.650.jpg

the Totes stick may not be the toughest umbrella or the cheapest, though it does have a good look and a low price for a sturdy friend that can pass as a gents umbrella without having the strength to hold you up.

They run around 20 bucks or less and open at the push of a button (I always used to get pinched by the non automatics when I was a little one). Not skinny or strong though they look great.

1292.jpg

Brigg is the name in Umbrellas and they run around $300 bucks… at least my favorite does. Why pay that much for an umbrella you may ask? Because I’m crazy! The one I have is a solid stick and doubles as a cane if ever needed. Back in Victorian times Sticks were all the rage even when unneeded; they just looked good on a walk and one with an umbrella is a plus. This being a Brigg, everything is wood brass or steel except for the canopy which can be swapped out for silk for an extra number of Pounds which I didn’t want to pay. It’s the sturdiest and great in a fight. The draw back is that it to me whom does not have trouble walking (except when drinking) is cumbersome do to it’s weight and girth. I can’t swing the thing around in a jaunty manner when walking, it seems to slow me down rather than speed me up. When open and shielding me from the rain it’s a weight to bear.
Don’t get me wrong… I’m excited to own such a fine piece and the story of how I got it in Lyon France is a nice tale and the canopy… oh the canopy is so old England in its design… it’s just heavy and well… chunky.

brigg-umbrella.jpg

Fox to me is the best of most worlds. Jaunty and slim for cutting through the metropolis. This umbrella looks better furled than unfurled and with a steel tube it’s tough as all get out and works great as a poker. Very light and swingable, it’s a joy to carry when compared to the other two listed above. I bought the Whangee and am feeling like John Steed from the Avengers. The cost is high (around $200) though the toughness and the slimness is what I wanted. It’s not a walking stick though it can bear some weight. And when the rain hits It feels light while held high above my head.

That’s my take on the three umbrellas. My biggest problem is that I live in California.
The Fox shape is more like the updated new drape on the left.

umbrella-frames.jpg

prince-vi.jpg

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
The way he is dressed, he could be King one day. Aluminum handles didn't work out well for me. Wood or nothing. If it gets too rainy, use it as a raft.
poohumbrella.jpg

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Well, it's been raining constantly for 4 consecutive days here--some places are having snow:eek: , and this after the cherry blossoms
05Sakura16web.jpg
have come and gone:eusa_doh:
With all this rain, I am not going to be picky about umbrellas so long as they do the job of preventing me from getting wet.:rolleyes:
lol lol lol lol lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
While I have a few English stick brollies (Brigg,Fox,Smith) from my time living in London, I usually end up using these mini auto open/close (invaluable feature) pocket jobs by Shedrain . They're so easy to stash in briefcases, glove compartments, backpacks, luggage and of course pockets.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It hasn't stopped raining here in a week and a half. We have had two Nor'Easters. I have seen many umbrellas flipped inside-out, but my hickory Brigg was like a bunker!

Great Photos, Matt. You need to post more of your own umbrella.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Rain ? Rain? you said Rain?

We are having the greatest drought in the history of our country - send it this away Down Under - it will move with gravity right????

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The only fold-up umbrella that hasn't collapsed on me after a few uses is my Tumi. It's $75, which I think is a lot to pay for an umbrella, but it's compact and reliable. It's vented so that it doesn't flip inside-out in a strong wind.

It also has a push-button that folds it up. When I go through a door, I just push the button. No standing outside and getting wet while I fold it up.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Paisley said:
Tumi. It's $75, It also has a push-button that folds it up. When I go through a door, I just push the button. No standing outside and getting wet while I fold it up.
Yes, the auto open/close feature is invaluable, especially when entering and exiting a car. And, its one-handed operation frees a hand to can carry a briefcase or bag. BTW, I belive that Shedrain makes the Tumi umbrella which it sells for 1/3 the price.[huh]

Dagwood

Practically Family
I hope that we here in Los Angeles can keep the rain away until the British pound drops below $2.00. Once it goes low enough, I'm ordering the Whanghee!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo