Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It must be raining somewhere, right?!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
GBP vs USD

The Britsh Telegraph is predicting an imminent tsunami of Brits coming across the Atlantic to clean out NYC and anywhere else for that matter.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
It hasn't rained in my part of the UK now for 25 days, therefore we now have an official drought! OMG turn the garden sprinklers off (which we don't have or need here), empty the swimming pools, drink less tea, don't wash the car and take a shower/bath with a friend or two :D
You've got to do what the Governement says.... or am I misreading their advice.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It was raining hard here yesterday. I was surprised to see so many people with no hat or umbrella getting soaking wet. (This was first thing in the morning, presumably right after people had gone out the door.) :confused:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LaMedicine said:
You mean the baby buggy rain cover? It's open on the back and the bottom, not zipped up, but just kept in place by the holes that the handles come through. Either have the cover, or have the toddler sopping wet.lol
In New York, they're also used for cold dry days, cool dry days, or to signal "please keep your eyes off my child" (which NY moms frequently do). You gotta wonder whether the baby constantly breathing its own CO2 is all that healthy.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
In New York, they're also used for cold dry days, cool dry days, or to signal "please keep your eyes off my child" (which NY moms frequently do). You gotta wonder whether the baby constantly breathing its own CO2 is all that healthy.

Maybe they got the idea from Michael Jackson:eusa_doh:

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Well, at least, it'll help treat hyperventilation attacks.lol lol (As if toddlers ever have any.:p )

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
It's raining here today too. I feel that I'm in the minority while reading this post - I don't use an umbrella.

I dislike carrying an umbrella when it rains. Yes, I know that it has its purpose and can have both style and function, but I prefer to go without. When it rains I wear my London Fog and a hat. Sure, an umbrella would offer some more protection, but it's one more thing to juggle when going to/from the office. If I have my briefcase in one hand and umbrella in the other it makes it difficult to open doors. I like to have a free hand (which probably comes from being in the military when your right hand was free to salute when out of doors).

Just my personal preference.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Can Summer be Far Behind?

Paisley said:
It was raining hard here yesterday. I was surprised to see so many people with no hat or umbrella getting soaking wet. (This was first thing in the morning, presumably right after people had gone out the door.) :confused:

2.5 inches of precip in Denver yesterday - Rain, Sleet & Snow. Ah, "Springtime in the Rockies". So much snow in the mountains just west of Denver (measured in feet), that the ski areas probably wish they had not already closed for the season!

Dagwood

Practically Family
Dagwood said:
I hope that we here in Los Angeles can keep the rain away until the British pound drops below $2.00. Once it goes low enough, I'm ordering the Whanghee!!

It closed today at $1.986. However, with the stock market in free fall, I'm hoping it will go even lower. Anyone betting on $1.90?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Inverness Cape

I have a regular sized cheap umbrella that I'm using as an experiment. If I can go a full year or more with out leaving it some place where it's irretrievable, I'll consider getting a really decent quality umbrella. The umbrella paradox is that (at least Americans) always assume we're going to leave it somewhere, so we buy the cheapest one we can find. And of course we do lose it, or it falls to pieces after just a few uses.
The brelly I have is decent quality, and I'm careful to keep it pointed the right way so it doesn't get inverted.
The big anti-rain news I have to share is, I've bought an absolutely sensational rain cape on line. It's an Inverness cape from Mister Antony in Glasgow, Scotland. You can Google it. I wore it for the first time the other day and it's sensational. Works very well. It's light weight polyester so it's very light, but completely impervious to rain. It's designed for Pipe Bands, but works for civilians, too.
I'll get pix up soon. It's VERY cool. I love it!

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
silk umbrella

...so I trolled around British eBay for a few weeks and finally bought an old Fox umbrella. Upon arrival, I was delighted to discover that the canopy is silk! Strangely, perhaps, the brolly lets through a little bit of rain in the form of a mist during a downpour. Anyone know where/how I could recoat my rain proofing?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
It pays to get a good umbrella...

...If you can keep from losing it, you save $ over time. I have a wood handled model that I've been using consistently for over 15 years. A good umbrella is less likely to fail you when you really need it.

If you wear fedoras, it also pays to get a hat rain cover. I keep one in its package in the pocket of my raincoat. It's amazing what a good job those covers do. I've walked in a driving rain with the hat cover on and raincoat, and the only part of me that got wet was my shoes the cuffs of my pants. It keeps the rain out of your collar really well.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just hate the fumble fumble of getting out of a car and trying to deploy the umbrella, or getting into a car and stowing one.

Besides, Neville Chamberlain killed umbrellas for me, and John Steed, try as he might, hasn't quite rehabilitated them. lol

Starius

Practically Family
Speaking of the rain, we only got 1.6 inches last night. But a town 45 minutes away from me got 11 inches. I believe the proper attire for that is more scuba gear than galoshes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo