Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Linen suit

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Actually Linen Cotton blend.

It's my first full suit purchase in about a year and a half and since I have been living off of odd trousers and jackets over the time I've been losing weight I thought it time to try something new. I am scouring for vintage and it will come with patience and a good eye, though this suit was something I just wanted to try. It's Mail order and you have to go by a wonky drawing so I took a gamble, though as with all J. Peterman goods the story behind the clothes is only part of the mystique, I know the quality of the trousers and shirts I have bought in the past and hopefully I won't be dissapointed with a dress jacket. The suit in the pic just looks cool.
http://www.jpeterman.com/cgi-bin/sg...2303104728&HTNAME=htmljp-products/OM1468.html

The jacket and trousers arrived today, I ordered the trousers unhemmed as I still have not decided if I want the legs to be cuffed. The jacket needs its sleeves taken up though all together the suit on me looks very much like what you see worn on many of the actors in Casablanca. Three button wide lapeled like you see in the early 40's. The material is stiff though cool. The jacket is partially lined.

Knowing that Peterman runs big on the sizes I ordered a 38 waist trousers and a size 40 chest jacket (I usually buy a size larger in both catagories). It came out pretty much perfect. As I said before, pics tomorrow then you can tell me what you think.

1468-MAN-IN-LINEN-SUIT.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
You better cuff those pants man! I don't associate with un-cuffed trouser wearing hippy loving, grass skirt chasing lawnmower pushing Sunday drivers! Uh,... YEAH!

Man, where did that come from? Hahahahha! I'm tired.

But seriously, cuff them! :p

Root.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
40% Linen 60% Cotton

Yes full cut and yes high rise.

Wartime, no cuffs! The off the rack trousers were cut that way to save fabric. I could go pre war.

The armholes are bigger than I like though I know of no manufacturer off the rack that makes them as small as the ones I find on vintage suits. for the old school armholes that allow you to do hand stands in your suit you need a real real good tailor that listens.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
I came really really close to buying that suit myself, especially when I saw that it was on sale. In fact, I had gone so far as to add it to my shopping cart, but then I decided it was an unnecessary expediture... so I got the seersucker pants instead :p

I'm interested to see what the pics look like, and to hear a more in-depth review of the suit. If it looks good maybe I'll buy one after all.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's great to see Peterman hitting his stride again with items like this. I am looking forward to seeing the photos, Matt. I would like a suit like this. summer suits are tough. Seersucker is a very bold look and poplin can look generic. Linen cotton is nice because it holds its shape better than purse linen.

Great suit and good luck with it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt came over last night and I saw this suit. Wearing vintage for over 8 years now I have to say that this fabric and construction is very good for a modern suit. The cut of the lapels, the over all cut of the suit is very nice. I'm not so much a fan of the double vented back but, it works ok with this suit.

We took some photos last night and they're on my camera and I just need to up load them to my PC and post them after I re-size them a tad.

They'll be up later today.

Root.

PS. The armholes aren't too bad. Rather good I thought for modern suit.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, it is a fine suit and made well. Quality is a big factor. It's not a T-shirt. If you want a bargain, thrift shops are perfect for such things. That is one reason why I buy vintage. It's still a better deal if you know where to look.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
ADGENTNC said:
Still slightly pricey for a all cotton/linen suit...

In some cases I would agree, especially if I were buying a seersucker sack suit that is unconstructed. You can find unconstructed suits at Eddie Bauer or Orvis. You can also go to Banana Republic and get a very constructed all cotton suit that has its own modern look for about the same price as this one was on sale. The Reason I went with the J. Peterman suit is because of the three button cut with the wide and straight lapels. Very reminicent of the suits you see in Casablanca.

casablanca.jpg

casablanca_b.jpg

So far from what I can see the suit is very well constructed and has that old school early 40's cut.

Inner lining detail.
Suit5-vi.jpg

Suit4-vi.jpg

The jacket is a bit snug, though if you read above you know I am shrinking to fit. The arms need to be shortened. The weight is still all in my thighs, so here are the embarassing pics.
Suit3-vi.jpg

After a few alterations, sleeves, pant length, maybe lower the collar a hare in the back, (and the loss of ten more pounds) it should look perfect.
Suit1-vi.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Here is the armhole test, vintage first for an example of how companies used to make their jackets, then the modern.

Bluecoat1-vi.jpg

Arms straight out like a board.

Vintage
Bluecoat2-vi.jpg

Peterman, very much a current armhole cut, though pretty good when compared to some modern jackets I have seen.
Suit2-vi.jpg

shamus

Suspended
I know it's a bit off topic...

I couldn't help but see the quart of oil sitting in the corner.. knowing you drive an old car...

That's the true way to tell if someone really loves an old car or if they just have it for looks...

My ride isn't quite as old as yours but I do have a few quarts laying around too...

And a great looking suit too I might add. All you need now is to take up smoking and drinking gin....

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Just curious Matt, but what are your chest and arm measurements? I think I was going to order a 40 as well, because I usually wear a 42 L but judging from the sizes the Jpeterman rep quoted to me over the phone they tend to run large. They also don't have any long sizes. They told me that the size 40 suit jacket had, I think, a 44" chest and a 34" length center back to arm measurement. I'm interested to see how the jacket comes out with some tailoring.

Could you comment a little more on the fabric? Do you find the linen/cotton blend to be a nice compromise in the summer, weight-wise? It seems from your overall first impression that you're happy with your purchase, but what about after having it a few days? I appreciate your input.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Curious thing, they used to carry long and short lengths before they went out of business and came back again.

When I first got the suit I thought it was very tough and tightly woven, after wearing the jacket a bit and trying on the unhemmed pants a few times it is very cool to wear.

I will get you measurements soon, though for a quick refference... the jacket length is about the same as a 42R from Brooks Brothers, the arms are longer than a BB 42R.

The Peterman 40 is tighter than most jackets I have (most right now being 42), though I bought it because I am still losing weight and as I get closer to my goal I get jackets that are closer to my true soulder size, that being usually a 40 jacket. If you are used to a 42R fitting well in the shoulders you may find the shoulders of the 40 Peterman a bit snug.

I believe my chest when last measured was 40, though I will have true info for you later.
My height it 5'9" if that helps... I'll break out the tape measure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner