Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Linen suit

Wild Root

Gone Home
shamus said:
I know it's a bit off topic...

I couldn't help but see the quart of oil sitting in the corner.. knowing you drive an old car...

That's the true way to tell if someone really loves an old car or if they just have it for looks...

My ride isn't quite as old as yours but I do have a few quarts laying around too...

And a great looking suit too I might add. All you need now is to take up smoking and drinking gin....

Matt doesn't own a vintage car, I do. He just sits in it from time to time ;)

The oil you saw is my brothers. I keep mine in the trunk of the car. :cheers1:

Those photos were taken at my house,

Root.

me8mc.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
That's actually not a bad looking suit at all. Do you know what the rise is on the trousers from the bottom of the crotch to waist?

I can live with larger armholes (although I greatly prefer the high-cut style) but the one thing I really hate about modern suits is low-rise pants. They break up the line of the suit and make wearing sweaters and vests much more difficult.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
It looks like it increases with the waist size then. I am just going to call them as see what the measurements are for the size 33 pants as from what you have found out, I bet the rise will be rather shorter than on the size 38 or 40 ones unfortunately.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
After shortening the sleaves and cuffing the trousers.

I like the sleaves short enough that I never have to bother with jacket touching my hand.

I still need to lose some weight. What do you think?

I still think the suit is very Casablanca.

1151534_IMG-vi.jpg

1151531_IMG-vi.jpg

My Preton Tucker look -- next to a Plymouth.
1151533_IMG-vi.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Looking good Matt! That suit is really a good find. It fits you very well and I'm sure you're just going to find more as you work towards your ideal weight.

Here is one of your photos I had to age seeing it just looked so perfect for it to start with.

Enjoy,

Root.

1151531imgvicopy3dl.jpg

sandysot

New in Town
Matt:
Following this thread with interest.I remember Miami in the early '50s. In those pre airconditioning days most all businesses closed between 1:00P.M. and reopened 5:30 or 6:00 P.M. till 9:00.Many latin men wore all white 800 grade tightly woven SB linen suits that were hand washed.With each pressing they became progressively shinier and harder looking.
There was a resurgence of interest in that look and that fabric in the 80's-90's when the suit was offered as a bespoke entry at $1,500.00 a pop.Try as I may I cant get any web hits on the "800" linen phrase today.

I began acquiring casual linen wear three years ago and,at the beginning, it was difficult.I found the available men's linen was heavy and badly woven,usually in beige or off white,whereas womens linen clothing was offered in several delicate lighter fabric weaves and many more colors.Nowadays there is a better mens selection available, but I still defer buying any linen jacket or suit until I find that 'just right" combination of pure white, light weight and closely woven linen that has that Casablanca cut and ambiance.

Sandy

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Linen Suit...

...just going through some more boxes from my recent city-to-city move-

-found a linen suit that I had actually forgotten about after admiring Mr. Deckard's...

It's '30s, pure linen, quite heavy, 'natural colour', tailor made and hand finished, 3 button (mother of pearl buttons), horse hair padding in shoulder, lapel and chest. Trousers have about a 13" rise(well above my belly button), suspender buttons, side adjusters. Jacket has the beefy 30s style notched lapels, patch pockets...

Best of all, it fits me- the pants are plenty big in the waist, although the jacket is maybe a 'tad' snug with the onset of post-puberty and gross Danish beer swilling... (the beer isn't gross, I am) or maybe it's a perfect vintage fit- high-cut 'pits and all-

I'll have to get some pictures up- maybe it needs a quick press first and me to find a matching shirt, tie and hat for the ensemble...

The history of it was that it belonged to an English diplomat working in China and India through the '30s. The source I got it from was a theatre costumer.

Maybe I'll have to break out the pith helmet.

Anyhoo- I'll put up some pics ASAP-

Goodnite!

B
T

Mycroft

One Too Many
Nice suit Matt, I almost bought one at Banana Repbulic this summer, though I only needed a real formal suit. What other ties are planning to where with that? Also what color hats would one where?

cpaige770

New in Town
Ya know Matt and Root,
I have been looking at german ww2 linen and rayon blends that have been coming out latley and some of them match some nice Palm Beach linen feels. As you guys know I am a big fan of Palm Beach anything, so mabe I will be the first to look into a reproduction made of that stuff. You can have it made up in many colors but it comes in the usual white. So let me know what you guys think. Remmi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner