Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Peterman

latinmajorac

New in Town
Hello All!

i am new here, and would like to ask your opinion on clothes from the J.peterman company. i have my eye on the 1920 flannel pants (which have gone down in price again!) as well as a tweed pair. what are all of your thoughts on the quality and fit of items from there?

thanks in advance

marc

rue

Well, I don't know about the men's clothing, but the women's clothes are great and well made. I've been buying from them for a long time and my mother has a dress that she bought over ten years ago and it still looks brand new.

carldelo

One Too Many
Hi - I purchased the flannel pants a few weeks ago. I liked them well and thought they were nicely done. I returned them, but only because they're exactly the same color as another pair of pants I own. The brown is sort of a very dark tan or taupe - a versatile shade. I exchanged for a pair of the brown tweedy Donegal wool pants - they should arrive tomorrow, and I'll post my impressions then.

The prices they're at now are great - don't forget to click through the 16% off banner link at the top of the page here at the lounge - every little bit of discount helps. If you don't see the banner ad, refresh the screen until it shows up and click on it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I had bought their Cavalry Twill jacket back in September and thus far Ive been rather pleased with it.
100_6405.jpg

I find their coats are kind of hit and miss. I have this coat and a tweed blazer that fits, but the well mad Kipling jacket is too much in the body & sleeves.
In the Kipling jacket the sleeves are way to long, and for me to say that is saying something. Plus, the coat fit through the shoulders and chest but once you get below that it sort of opens up like it was made by Omar the tent maker. Now the construction is top notch. edges are taped and pressed and there is no lining so it shows off this craftsman ship.
I is the only item I've bee disappointed in, but it is nothing that a tailor can't take care of. It is supposed to have that tapered military cut but instead one could wrap it around like a kimono to get that tapered look. but like I said, a tailor can take care of that small thing.

What I like about their trousers is they all have suspender buttons on the inside. At least the two pair that I have do.

Cheers!

Dan

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What would be smart for them to do IMHO is do the catalog and Web site with the drawings, as they always have, but then on the Web site, add photos. Frankly, I'm sure the drawings are from a photograph they've pulled into Photoshop or similar to automate the process as much as they can. Sort of the best of both worlds.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I've enjoyed J Peterman ever since Elaine from Seinfeld worked for him.

Did you know that John O'Hurley, who plays Peterman, is now an investor in the company?

Dan'l

Practically Family
I have the 1920s trousers and love them. They fit very nice and, I'm told, look good on me. I too like that the pants have suspender buttons.

The ones I have are in brown and if they get my size in grey again I'll most likely buy a pair.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the same recently purchased jacket as Mr. Jones speaks of, above. I got a medium. Mind you-I am a spot on 40R off the rack-& I found the fit large. I ran it through a couple of hot wash & dry cycles in the laundry & it fits much better now.

This was an exception in my experience. I have a few of their jackets (Victoria Falls & a smashing tweed hacking jacket and some sort of odd Prototype safari jacket) that I have been very accurate in the sizing.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just ordered and received the General's Topcoat from J. Peterman. Other than the sleeves being a tad long it fits pretty good. Perfect through the shoulders and body. Of course I'll have to see how it fits with a suit on. Right now it is a bit warm to be wearing but I couldn't pass it up at this price and they actually had my size. Sorry, no photos as of yet, I've been too busy getting settled into my new job.
http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Things/The-Generals-Topcoat
2792-TAN2.jpg

Should be great this winter. I will try to get a couple of images here soon to show you what it actually looks like. Sometimes it pays to to wait until something is on clearance. from $289 to $78. Can't beat that with a stick.

Cheers!

Dan

SteveAS

Practically Family
That looks like a nice coat, especially for its price, DJ! If you find time to post pictures, I, for one, would appreciate it. My size is now in stock and I'm tempted.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, here is at least a photo of the Generals Topcoat. Sorry, it's too warm to be wearing it. This fall & winter I'll be sure to get some shots of it in action outdoors.
100_7192.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

filfoster

One Too Many
Peterman testimonial: Peterman stuff can be pretty pricey new but I just got two wonderful, 30's style jackets online in the 'going, going,' section. One is an Irish tweed herringbone jacket and the other, an English mill chalkstripe suit jacket-both had matching trousers sold separately but now sadly, the availble leftovers are 10" too large for me. These are really nice jackets and fit my 42L frame well. Shop the sales.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I've bought from Peterman through the years, and never had anything shoddy. Fit is usually very good.

There's a few rare exceptions. I also ordered the cavalry twill jacket shown by another lounger, but mine just didn't hang right and the sleeves did weird things at the shoulders - so sent it back. They are very easy to deal with.

Most recently, I got the "Squire's coat" in lambswool Donegal tweed, rather Edwardian style, and it's outstanding in quality and tailoring details. Things I'd expect in a custom-tailored item nowadays. I only buy when their stuff is on sale. Well, mostly! Pricey otherwise but very reasonable for the quality if you snag clearance stuff before your size is gone.

- Bill

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic