Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket number 3

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Hello good evening and welcome to loungers and lurkers alike!

I hope you can help me, I am beginning to think about the acquisition of a third leather jacket. Well, not quite the acquisition, more the genesis of a seed of an idea. Yes, that's right, I don't have the cash but I most certainly have the obsession.

We've all been there, right? Ha ha!

The plan is, three and out. One more big job and I'm going straight. I know I said that after the thrift store score when I snagged the 740N for 15 dollars. But I was lying, how could I not be? The Schott was the one that started the fever! I know I said it after the impulse finger twitch that got me the Aero. Yeah I was lying there too, how could I leave Ebay alone after it delivered a minty fresh highwayman fit perfectly from eyeballed low res pix right to my door? Surely Ebay must be infallible and I must have more jackets! Let's not even mention the Langlitz for the lady and the Sam Walker that looked and felt like a wet suit. I was lying those times too but I want one more. I need one more. One more and I'm out of the game. I swear, this time I mean it.

So here's how I want it to go: I have a black cowhide pea coat for winter and a brown FQHH highwayman to go over chunky sweaters for fall. What I am after to complete the set is a short jacket in a lighter hide, probably black in color, fitted pretty trim for wear over just a T shirt.

A couple of things to consider....

*I don't like A2 pockets
*I do like zip sleeves
*I love my Aero highwayman but don't necessarily feel like I need another
*I'd totally get another, especially one without the bi swing that mine has
*I'm ambivalent about half belts and don't know if I could make one work
*I don't think I could make a cafe racer work but I like the look

My choices seem to be at this stage something like the AL Nebraska in either black goat or jerky HH

or...

An AL roadster or Aero highwayman, sized down, maybe with zip sleeves and even a front yoke, in mid weight HH or black goat (AL only).

Are there other options I should be aware of? I thank you all in advance for your assistance. I only beg that we keep the AL v Aero politics for some future point when all horrid secrets become public and we may finally determine whether Ken really did start the Iraq war and whether Will really does pour the blood of virgins on his cornflakes.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
How about a Bootlegger of some flavour with zip sleeves? I think Aero or AL would do that for you - no bi-swing or half-belt to bother you, a cool 30s feel and something of a Highwayman fit.

Love my HH zip sleeve Bootlegger. In fact it might very well be my favorite...although I also wear my well broken -in Highwayman and Stewart quite often as well. I would highly recommend the Bootlegger or Stewart style as another very nice addition.
HD

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Thank you gents, I have to say the bootlegger was a style that first got me mulling over jackets. I secretly love it and not so secretly fear that I would look a bit like a steampunk at comic con rather than a swaggering bi plane pilot. Lots of the peeps on here ride motorcycles, have distinguished grey facial hair and live in iconic American places amid an iconic American landscape. These things aren't necessary to own a bootlegger but it helps, no?

This is why I've been thinking about the Nebraska. It's just about the plainest, most basic jacket that I've seen yet.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Here's a dark horse for ya' (no pun intended): Lost Worlds Suburban in black HH. Trust me, it's a masterpiece! Just something else to contemplate. Good luck friend.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Yes, that Suburban looks fabulous. Amanda and Will at AL really are as excellent to deal with as everyone says and, as you know, will make all kinds of adjustments....good prices and short wait times too (about 4 weeks currently). I'm sure you will get samples of the hides you are considering before going ahead --I mention this because AL's goat invariably gets high praise here but I got a sample of the black goat before ordering a Drifter (with buttons !) and it didn't appeal to me at all --but the Horween Chromexcel steerhide in black and in Havana Brown are both beautiful. Good luck with getting on the wagon after one last shot....

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that Suburban looks fabulous. Amanda and Will at AL really are as excellent to deal with as everyone says and, as you know, will make all kinds of adjustments....good prices and short wait times too (about 4 weeks currently). I'm sure you will get samples of the hides you are considering before going ahead --I mention this because AL's goat invariably gets high praise here but I got a sample of the black goat before ordering a Drifter (with buttons !) and it didn't appeal to me at all --but the Horween Chromexcel steerhide in black and in Havana Brown are both beautiful. Good luck with getting on the wagon after one last shot....

I second that Scrawlysteve, I've been talking with Amanda this last week about them doing a custom jacket for me and she really is incredibly helpful. I've got some leather samples on the way from them including the Jerky Horse which I can't wait to have a look at.

Good luck with the jacket whichever one you go for.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Aero Sheene...nuff said:

AeroSheeneFront_zps08a26fe6.jpg

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about a French Resistance cyclists jacket? Also called a Luftwaffe jacket? Very simple classic style with zipped sleeves.

IMG_0099.jpg

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Thanks for the suggestions guys! The Sheene looks tremendous although I don't need another jacket with a bi swing, which I think it has.... an Eastman Luftwaffe is amazingly beautiful but would stretch my budget beyond it's limit... LW owner sounds like a loon and I've heard the leather is monstrous....

AL offer what looks looks like excellent bang for the buck and I am pretty sure that a stock size 38 Aero HWM would be just the ticket so I could potentially look for them in the classifieds or elsewhere....

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Hmmm, another quick question for you all.... I'm thinking about maybe not going with black after all. If I went Aero it's have to be brown horse hide, naturally, although this would probably mean I wouldn't go with them since I wouldn't get another brown HWM. What other leathers would you guys recomend from AL? I've been thinking about Milwaukee chrome steer (anyone handled this?)or even burgundy CXL.... which would or course bring Aero's cordovan into the running....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm, another quick question for you all.... I'm thinking about maybe not going with black after all. If I went Aero it's have to be brown horse hide, naturally, although this would probably mean I wouldn't go with them since I wouldn't get another brown HWM. What other leathers would you guys recomend from AL? I've been thinking about Milwaukee chrome steer (anyone handled this?)or even burgundy CXL.... which would or course bring Aero's cordovan into the running....

I'd send AL an email or give them a buzz and have a chat about what they think would be a good hide to go for considering what you what and are after. Also, obviously ask for samples of the leathers that interest you. As I mentioned, I'm planning a jacket through AL and have samples of the jerky horse and goat on their way. Always the best way to choose what hide you want is to get your paws on what they'll actually be making it from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats