Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Jacket

smsstuart

New in Town
It's the curse of being an observant, detailed-oriented person and feeling duty-bound to share what I know with those who have a common interest. If you truly want to be freightened, check out the book I've been referring to - although it's quite well-written and researched. I think I freightened Al Weisel (one of the authors) when I related to him the "discovery" of the label.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I, too, appreciate the posts here, I am learning things I did not know. I decided to get the Live Fast, Die Young book on "Rebel" for myself.

Another Dean obsessive is that author, Beath, who wrote The Death of James Dean. The research he did on that one event was incredibly detailed.

As for me, I have decided it is time I got myself to Fairmont to visit the grave site. I have a friend who wants to go with me, is an Indiana native herself and knows the state.

karol

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, please post a pic and give the details on where found, etc.

Glad to see this thread revived. I had given up on getting "The Jacket." At this point I would be happy with a reproduction.

SC

New in Town
It is. As I mentioned, the jacket is a pretty meticulous reproduction of the original McGregor Antifreeze that was the model for or the actual one used in the movie.

alfa

Familiar Face
Rebel Jacket

I contact King.... about this jacket... and they are out of stock.. until possibly
end of the year.. or beginning of next year....
Jacket looks pretty cool!!

Hey SC, if it doesnt fit.. you well.. mind selling it to me?

alfa

Familiar Face
Rebel Jacket

I located another replica jacket at the Fairmount Historical Museum
I asked them a couple questions. I got an email from them...

"The medium jacket has a shoulder width of about 21.5 inches, sleeves 24 inches, length at the zipper 25 inches and across the chest about 24". The large is shoulders 22 inches, sleeves 25 inches, length at zipper 26 inches and chest about 26". There is a light liner in the jacket."

Heres the link:
http://void.heritagewebdesign.com/~dean469/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

I think the fleece lining.. in the Japanese site really makes the jacket...
Anyone have any other leads....I saw one on ebay last week... lost the bid
which looked like a great replica... by VAQO it had a white cotton lining..
and looked authentic...

alfa

Familiar Face
Rebel Jacket

Heres some pics... of the jacket from Ebay...looks pretty authentic.
anyone know of this replica? I contacted the seller.. with no reply
back...

2125247830104940334MVrxVx_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2116078750104940334pwVuLS_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2771381280104940334OFEEAb_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2056732140104940334QDwTGY_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

K.D. Lightner said:
As for me, I have decided it is time I got myself to Fairmont to visit the grave site. I have a friend who wants to go with me, is an Indiana native herself and knows the state.

karol

Hi Karol
If you do...make sure that you visit "Fairmount" instead. It's my hometown..and I graduated from Fairmount High School. I now live about 20 miles from Fairmount.

Park Cemetary...
100_0339.jpg

Winslow Farm(Were JD grew up)...
100_0343.jpg

HD

alfa

Familiar Face
McGregor Anit-Freeze Jacket

I purchased... a new.. McGregors windbreaker off of ebay...that doesn fit me as well. lol

The guy had found it in a old warehouse.... it's dark navy blue....
and looks the part... down to the white cotton.. inner lining... and anti-freeze
label... Zipper/pockets and matching blue color button cuffs.. are exact..
to the rebel jacket... the only thing.. is the collar is very sharp and long.. and a bit wide..at the tips.... which really doesnt look at all like.. how dean wears it high.. Also... I'm sure.. deans jacket inner lining.. was modified.. as the McGregor is kind of stiffer...and doesnt sit as.. loose or heavy feeling..
Deans jacket is larger.. and sits on him with volume with his jacket waist tight
to his waist.

the McGregors Anti-Freeze is a very nice jacket...none the less. anyone know if they came with different collars styles?

Peacoat

Bartender
alfa said:
I purchased... a new.. McGregors windbreaker off of ebay...that doesn fit me as well. lol

The guy had found it in a old warehouse.... it's dark navy blue....
and looks the part... down to the white cotton.. inner lining... and anti-freeze
label... Zipper/pockets and matching blue color button cuffs.. are exact..
to the rebel jacket... the only thing.. is the collar is very sharp and long.. and a bit wide..at the tips.... which really doesnt look at all like.. how dean wears it high.. Also... I'm sure.. deans jacket inner lining.. was modified.. as the McGregor is kind of stiffer...and doesnt sit as.. loose or heavy feeling..
Deans jacket is larger.. and sits on him with volume with his jacket waist tight
to his waist.

the McGregors Anti-Freeze is a very nice jacket...none the less. anyone know if they came with different collars styles?

Can you post a pic of the collar on the jacket you have? That would be a good starting point.

fardin

New in Town
i think the anti freeze theory is a good one, but deans jacket in rebel didnt have the lining. and as far as i know the jacket was custom made by the warners costum department. there is a book on the making of rebel with that info, its called Live Fast, Die Young: The Wild Ride of Making Rebel Without a Cause .
Nick ray began filming in black and white, there are some wardrobe shots in the making of on the rebel dvd, where dean tries on diffent jackets, and after eden became such a success warner decided to shoot the film in colour since shooting in cinemascope also ment that you have to shoot in color, thats when the red jacket comes in. though its true that most of the actors in the movie went and bought their own clothes to be authentic, thats not the case with deans jacket.

alfa

Familiar Face
Here are some replicas you can find online:
Anyone have any pics or info on these, anyone buy one of these versions.

Fairmount Museum version: They told me these jackets are the same, except one is embroidered.. but by the pic.. they seems different.. what you guys think? is one just more wrinkled.. embroidered one seems more thick material.
2944540320104940334CuwFJr_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2195052850104940334kGSjfX_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and who hasn't seen.. the G111 version:
2679291990104940334eKbMMO_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

alfa

Familiar Face
Rebel Jacket

I think at this point... we may never see and find the jacket... is has to be customized at one point.. and based.. upon a McGregor anti-freeze jacket.
I saw Rebel again.. and the jacket.. is not light.. and has an inner lining..
that is darker.. grey or brown...and is a kind of heavy when he hands it to Plato. I read somewhere.. the wife of Sammy Davis Jr. was given one of the red jackets... I heard she just passed away? maybe well see it on display one day.

Anyone have any leads or info/experience... on any of the replicas?
Can anyone contact SC? I wanna see that jacket of his!

alfa

Familiar Face
McGregor-in Red

Located this on a Japanese site:
A red McGregor Anti-Freeze... I believe it may not be original but close to
the real thing...Looks pretty close to Deans.. except for the extra collar strap, but the collar still looks a bit long?

http://kakaku.journal.mycom.co.jp/item_info/20888609732315.html

Origin: America - Country of origin: China
- Material quality: Nylon 100% pile: Acrylic 65% polyester 35%
- Color: Lead-lead

Size: M
Shoulder Length: 49cm, Side Width 57cm, Arrival Ht 64cm, Sleeve Length 61
Size: L
Shoulder Length: 51cm, Side Width 62cm, Arrival Ht 68cm, Sleeve Length 63
Size: XL
Shoulder Length: 53cm, Side Width 66cm, Arrival Ht 69cm, Sleeve Length 64

2979883650104940334tQuBfa_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]