Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jaxson 'Bogie' Ordered

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I ordered the Jaxon 'Bogie' from The Village Hat Shop today. I really did want the Stetson Chatham, but couldn't justify the price for a first time hat novice. Maybe for my second hat next year.

This is my first fedora and I've been looking forward to a fur felt hat most of the year for wearing this season. I'll be losing the feather.

Should be here by the end of next week with any luck from UPS. I'll post a review after a day or two of wearing.

medium_JaxonBogart1.jpg

HHCassius

New in Town
Yeah, I'm all about the teardrop or diamond crown myself. Stetson Chatham, Scala Venice...I went with a Jaxon C-Crown Crushable Fedora a few weeks ago from Village Hat Shop -- I dig the shape, still haven't worn it outside yet. But my Capas Wool Apple Cap (I think it MAY be considered a big apple) was a big hit today. I "kind of" dressed up as Donny Hathaway today at work, as I was carless, it was a little cooler this morning, and had to walk to the park & ride -- the turtleneck and hat were quite apropos. I bought the cap at the Executive Hat Shop a short walk from my job downtown in Atlanta -- jumped on it, after previously having had the impression they only came in OSFA / OSFM (one size fits all / most) - I NEED an XXL in apple caps.

The hat fits pretty much like Donny's in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-cQO2e-U4Y

Wow, talk about going off-topic.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Cool, I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of it on you, and finding out how you like it. You're right, for a first purchase, it's good to test the waters and see what you like.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hey, it's good to know you're ordering your first fedora! One of my first was a Jaxon too, although it was wool. The color was actually darker than the picture though, but I hope you're satisfied with your hat; the Bogie is a nice model!

MarkD

One of the Regulars
I am looking forward to your review and pictures. That is one of the models that always catches my eye at VHS.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, I just got a Jaxson in for my son's Christmas present. I fear it may be a tad large on him as they sell this model in small, medium, and large instead of actual sizes. The boy is a 6-7/8 and I tried this on when it came in and it fits me just right (I am a size 7). I got him a black crushable "Jaxon Pinch Crown" model from the Village Hatshop. http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_pinch_crown_crushable.html

Still, I think he'll like it and it's a good starter hat for a 14-year-old, I think.

EggHead

Practically Family
Why is Jaxson above considered a "starter hat"? Whereas Akubra for the same price isn't? ~ $88
They are both fur felt, or is the felt quality different?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, I paid $32 for the Jaxon, not $88 for one thing. It's a crushable, for another, as opposed to a hat with a liner and all. But even those things aside, it's the first hat I ever bought him. So even if I paid $100 it's still a "starter hat" inasmuch as it will be the first one he ever got. Hopefully it'll start him n the road to wearing hats more.

In any case, I don't mean any slight at all to an Akbura. Nor am I necessarily talking about a lack of quality or relative worth of either the Jaxon or the Akbura. In fact, this crushable seems like a fine little hat.

Lastly, I've never owned an Akbura. Have yet to look into buying one for no other reason than I just haven't gotten to one yet.

EggHead

Practically Family
I am just wondering if we are talking about the same Jaxson hat?
I looked it up on village hat shop, it's called Jaxon Bogart (missing the 's') and it's $88 and it's fur felt, liner, leather sweat and all. I was just curious as to your experience.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I am just wondering if we are talking about the same Jaxson hat?
I looked it up on village hat shop, it's called Jaxon Bogart (missing the 's') and it's $88 and it's fur felt, liner, leather sweat and all. I was just curious as to your experience.

Ah, got ya. No, I got the cheaper one than the Bogart (the link I added in the orig. post was sort of at the end of the sentence so it may have escaped easy attention).

Sorry for the confusion.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I ordered the Jaxon 'Bogie' from The Village Hat Shop today. I really did want the Stetson Chatham, but couldn't justify the price for a first time hat novice. Maybe for my second hat next year.

This is my first fedora and I've been looking forward to a fur felt hat most of the year for wearing this season. I'll be losing the feather.

Should be here by the end of next week with any luck from UPS. I'll post a review after a day or two of wearing.

medium_JaxonBogart1.jpg

I know this thread is over a month old but I'm also considering the same exact hat. What are your thoughts so far? Please post some pics of you in the hat when you get a chance.

fmw

One Too Many
Both of them look pretty nice to me. I ordered a Dobbs today on closeout. Street price is $150 to $175. Got it for $95. I don't think it is starter hat nor a starter brand but it came at a starter price. I like that concept. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic