Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jfk bomber jacket

kojax

Practically Family
i live near amsbury mass were they actuion off jfk bomber jacket. they got 600 hundred 29 thousand for the jacket wow

JanSolo

Practically Family
Here you go :

From the auction:

130218-jfk-jacket-745a.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

JFK wearing it:

jfk2.jpg

Anybody know the contract and maker? Foster or Martin Lane?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab

I've never heard, and its hard to tell from the photos, but that won't stop me from speculating! His jacket is a G-1, as opposed to one of the earlier USN goatskin jackets. If JFK only had one G-1, and if JFK got his jacket shortly after he took office in January of 1961, and if it was a newly made jacket...it could likely be a Breier, a Foster, a Ralph Edwards or a California Sportswear...and it could possibly be a few others. But if the jacket was new in the box but was actually a few years old when issued to the President, it could also be a Cagleco. And that's what it looks like to me.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Nope. Changed my mind. I just saw a better photo of the jacket being sold. It has a paperclip zipper pull which takes it out of the late Cagleco and early Ralph Edwards 7823 camp. Now my guess is an 7823A...most likely a Irvin Foster.

AF

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here you go :

From the auction:

130218-jfk-jacket-745a.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

JFK wearing it:

jfk2.jpg

No, no. That's not the same jacket, unless the crest moved from one side to the other and leather magically became cotton.

A couple of annoying little things from the story. JFK was the youngest man ELECTED president. Theodore Roosevelt was 2 years younger (41) when he became president after McKinley's death.
And I question whether LBJ could have gotten into that jacket at all. He was a good deal larger than JFK.

But a fascinating story in general.

JanSolo

Practically Family
No, no. That's not the same jacket, unless the crest moved from one side to the other and leather magically became cotton.
Plus crest moved way down the chest as well...even if photo was in backwards but that is ruled out by arrows in eagle's left claw...

Mmh, that's strange!

But the jacket JFK is wearing (although it might be not the one from the auction) is definitely leather. Here's a better picture with higher resolution:

tumblr_m6loqsIxsK1qi23zoo1_500.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't think JFK is going sailing in a leather jacket. Not done. Anyhow, it's not the same one as the other for sure.

When I saw him allegedly sailing in the jacket, that's the first thing I thought. I have done a lot of sailing, and leather is the last choice.

Final price was $665,500. About 10 times what was expected.

pauleway

Practically Family
I don't think JFK is going sailing in a leather jacket. Not done. Anyhow, it's not the same one as the other for sure.

Well that is a leather G-1 and he definately had more than one. I'm sure he wasn't worried about getting it wet, he probably just grabbed what was quickly available at the time. I do wonder if the one in the auction was the one he was originally issued and had the Presidential patch sewn on later!

Peacoat

Bartender
Well that is a leather G-1 and he definately had more than one. I'm sure he wasn't worried about getting it wet, he probably just grabbed what was quickly available at the time. I do wonder if the one in the auction was the one he was originally issued and had the Presidential patch sewn on later!

As he wasn't in aviation in WWII, I doubt the M-422A/ANJ-3 would have been "issued" to him. What he is wearing in the photo, and what was auctioned, was more than likely the courtesy jacket given to him at some point when he was president.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran