Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jodhpurs / Breeches

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Wolfmanjack said:
I just posted this reply in the "Riding breeches: what's the flaring for?" thread; but now I realize it may be more appropriate here.

Bartenders, perhaps these two threads should be merged.

I've got some of those! They look just like a pair that my grandfather looted from a German supply depot when the Russians liberated his camp. I'll scan a picture soon if you're interested, though I don't have a large image of him with the wide flaring breeches, mostly just the slimmer breeches he usually wore.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Evan Everhart said:
I've got some of those! They look just like a pair that my grandfather looted from a German supply depot when the Russians liberated his camp. I'll scan a picture soon if you're interested, though I don't have a large image of him with the wide flaring breeches, mostly just the slimmer breeches he usually wore.

:eusa_clap Wow,:eusa_clap I'd really like to see those pics.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Kifaru said:
I wear mine from WPG and tall Patton style boots to work with tweed jacket. Very comfortable and stylish.

:eusa_clap Good for you!:eusa_clap

I'll wager everyone thinks you are on your way to/from your stables. Let 'em think what they want; I'll bet you look smashing.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
draws said:
That wouldn't happen to be Michael Smith at Bernard Weatherill sporting tailors, would it? If so, here is a link to an article on them for starters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3304316/Real-breeches-of-trust.html

Evan, I assume that you ride if you wear breeches as often as possible. I do as well since I am a member of the governor's horse guard in Massachusetts, "The National Lancers" and the traditionally cut (flaired) breeches are a required component of our uniform kit..

Anyway, I'll keep looking and let you know if I find any additional information. Perhaps more to come.

That's the man! Haha! Good show finding him! I've got him up somewhere in a reference book of mine on equestrian tailoring! Good man!

Thank you so much for the link! I'll be checking it out this evening!

As to my riding, yes I do. I've been riding since before I could really even walk. My mother put me on a pony when I was not even a year old, when I could hold onto the pommel while she walked beside. I've always appreciated the look of the more traditional clothing besides due to A., my Traditionalist sentiments, and B., a number of photographs of my grandfather in his riding gear after WWII which I always tried to emulate in my own equestrian kit.

That sounds Wonderful being involved in such an organization where you get to enjoy riding with other individuals who enjoy traditional equestrian attire! What all does your organization do? It sounds fascinating! I really enjoy the riding, but out in California, most of the people I encounter rather look at me askance as I go about in a DB Canary Yellow silk waist-coat with my flared green riding breeches and detachable collars with cravats...It's a real Bugger. Most of the people out here that I've seen ride Western saddle or are beyond casual all the time, mostly wearing jodhpur boots or paddock boots with zippers up the front. I know that not everyone wants to be dressed up all of the time and some never wish to be, it's just a sad state when so many look at me as odd man out. It's entertaining, but still a bit sad. Luckily for me, my fiance loves the old style gear and rides with me. I just got her some lovely light-weight green breeches and a pair of mint 1930 ox-blood brown field boots (for $45. no less! Ha!) and a lovely shirt which she likes to wear for riding and all that she needs now is a hacking jacket to suit her taste and we'll both be fully kitted out. Rant!

By the by, do you know if anyone sells well-fitting brown dress boots (I suppose they'd be polo boots without the field lacings) for a reasonable price? (like under $350.) I've been looking for a while and all that I can come up with is Der Dau and they're bloody pricey as all hell though they do have the luxurious touch of not having Spanish tops which I don't like. Oh, one more thing, the boots should be pull on, traditional as I don't like zippered boots... I hope I'm not pestering! You just seem to know your business sir!

draws

Practically Family
Evan Everhart said:
That's the man! Haha! Good show finding him! I've got him up somewhere in a reference book of mine on equestrian tailoring! Good man!
Glad I could provide it for you

.........a number of photographs of my grandfather in his riding gear after WWII which I always tried to emulate in my own equestrian kit.
Perhaps you wouldn't mind posting some photos of your grandfather. They would be of great interest to me and, I'm sure, others in this thread and on the vintage photos thread as well.

That sounds Wonderful being involved in such an organization where you get to enjoy riding with other individuals who enjoy traditional equestrian attire! What all does your organization do? It sounds fascinating!

I have been riding since the mid 60s (hunter/jumpers). I finally decided that I could utilize my riding skills for the Lancers and the rest is history.

Not to get into it too deeply, I am a member of the front line (Troop A) of the National Lancers of Framingham, Mass. This unit was initially formed in 1836 as part of the Massachusetts Organized Militia (MOM) and acted as the Governor's Horse Entourage (Horse Guard). The troop consists of 16 horses and approximately 35 active members.

Our duties consist of maintaining the readiness of the troop and its mounts (year round) and to serve the public of the state of Massachusetts. I would refer you all to our website http://www.nationallancers.org of which I am the site webmaster. Feel free to visit and drop me a PM for more information. I can elaborate. Since this forum is dedicated to traditional attire and related subjects, I should probably stop right there.

By the by, do you know if anyone sells well-fitting brown dress boots (I suppose they'd be polo boots without the field lacings) for a reasonable price? (like under $350.)
I'll see what I can find for you and get back to you. Stay tuned.

... I hope I'm not pestering! You just seem to know your business sir!
I certainly don't mind these questions and look forward to more spirited discussion and dialogue concerning traditional riding attire.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
"Modern", non-traditional Jodhpurs/Riding breeches are stretch fabric, no need for roominess. Brown breeches WERE actually pretty popular (in some circles)in 1930s Germany...

B
T

They seemed to like brown shirts at that time, too.....

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Then let's hear it for WW2 and post-war (they are the same) British Army khaki serge riding breeches, which are freely available - if you know where to look...

Who is going to point out pedantically (again) that, by definition, jodhpurs are not breeches?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
Then let's hear it for WW2 and post-war (they are the same) British Army khaki serge riding breeches, which are freely available - if you know where to look...

Who is going to point out pedantically (again) that, by definition, jodhpurs are not breeches?

I will for a dollar....

draws

Practically Family
It seems like we are walking the fine line between historically negative context of why breeches/jodhpurs were worn in certain countries versus the functional use of the garment. We therefore run the risk of deterioration of the dialogue, which I would not like to see.

I would like to ask for some ideas on the creation of one/several new threads which would cover historical military clothing/jodhpurs/breeches and/or clothing, perhaps by period, since there seems to be some interest in such. The discussion of non-military breeches and jodhpurs logically remains as part of this thread and should continue.

I could/would contribute to the military clothing/fashion dialogue as well so long as these threads continue to abide by FL Forum guidelines.

Any thoughts?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I suspect that where vintage riding breeches are concerned, there may be a difficulty in identifying the difference between military and civilian. In many armies officer's uniforms were 'private purchase' items and has a civilian tailor's label ('H.Johnson' being a common English source).

draws

Practically Family
Evan Everhart said:
By the by, do you know if anyone sells well-fitting brown dress boots (I suppose they'd be polo boots without the field lacings) for a reasonable price? (like under $350.)
Evan,

Here is a link to the horsecountrylife website catalogue for reference to brown dress boots. Refer to page 40 for those you are looking for at a cost of $129 per pair, a big savings under the $350 you contemplate.
http://www.horsecountrylife.com/catalog/FoxHunters2009/cover.html

I have purchased a pair of their moleskin khaki green high waisted breeches and they are absolutely fantastic.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
draws said:
I would like to ask for some ideas on the creation of one/several new threads which would cover historical military clothing/jodhpurs/breeches and/or clothing, perhaps by period, since there seems to be some interest in such. The discussion of non-military breeches and jodhpurs logically remains as part of this thread and should continue.

I could/would contribute to the military clothing/fashion dialogue as well so long as these threads continue to abide by FL Forum guidelines.

Any thoughts?

This would be a very interesting thread(s), Dennis. I hope you do it.

But I have to agree with H. Johnson that the distinction between civilian and military is rather arbitrary. Many officers continued to wear parts of their kit, including their breeches, after they returned to civilian life.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:

Please tell us where to look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21