Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers custom jacket, new photos

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
At the moment, the only hides that they have in the 4-5oz weight are bison, elk, and cow. I'll let you know what happens - I'm sure they can find a substitute for Horween's fqhh.

I have some of their heavy bison swatches. They're very nice looking hides if you like a lot of grain and seem to be bombproof. Not as dense as the cowhide I received, but thicker and more supple.

wallis

Familiar Face
They sent me a swatch of the lightweight horsehide and I did not care for it at all.

I was more interested in the weight of the leather, how supple it was and how it forms to shape over time and less concerned about what particular animal it came from. Alan mentioned that the vegetable tanned cowhide from Horween mimics horsehide in many ways. Cow, horse, it doesn't matter — if given the chance, I wouldn't trade out the leather I chose for this particular jacket for anything else. That's not to say that I wouldn't entertain the thought of horsehide at some point in the future.

Sorry, I need clarification. Your jacket is veg tanned cow?

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I'm working with Johnson Leathers on a second jacket and through the course of discussion with Johnson and the folks at Horween I learned that the hide used for my jacket is actually Chromexcel which is a combination tanned leather. This particular hide is actually a Tan/Brown colored selection of Chromexcel leather that is then overdyed with black. Looking into the use of this hide once again but in a different color revealed that when it comes to Chromexcel, the bovine hides actually cost more than the horsehide. (Regardless, at this point I'm planning on going with a bison hide for the second jacket.)

My apologies for any potential confusion earlier statements might have caused.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm having a 1950's half-belt made by them as we speak. I went with dark brown 3 oz cowhide. That weight and hide meets all my needs fine.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mine is a 1950's Californian copy. Like the one Bruce Willis wears in Surrogates. Ordinary film, extraordinary jacket.

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
018.jpg

This is 3.75 oz Johnson HH.It cost less than $700 2 years ago,tax and shipping included.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

It would be useful if someone could post a sample jacket with Alan's 3 oz. brown cow. Thank you.

trapp

Practically Family
I need to get in on this thread. Are their jackets really as well made as Aero? Johnson Leathers is just a 10 minute walk from my home. I may stop in tomorrow and see what they have on their racks.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I wish Johnson Leathers put some more effort into their website. They appear to offer some great custom and even standard jackets, but the pics leave lot to be desired.

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
I wish Johnson Leathers put some more effort into their website. They appear to offer some great custom and even standard jackets, but the pics leave lot to be desired.

Their website sucks.Alan told me 2 years ago the site was going to be updated.I believe their bread and butter is police jacket contracts.TMC,I've never weighed the jacket but I'll try to get you an answer soon.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I spoke with Alan last week and he's hoping to have a new website up sometime early next year. I mentioned to him that it was the images I had seen posted by others here on the Fedora Lounge that prompted me to investigate their jackets. He is very aware that their current site does not do the product justice. As such, I believe he said that they've already hired a professional photographer for just this purpose. They're also going to feature quite a few more styles than shown on the current site.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Are their jackets really as well made as Aero?

In my experience, yes definitely. That's not to take anything away from Aero, as much as it is to give proper credit to Johnson Leathers. I've only dealt with them from a distance, so I have no idea what they might have in stock. I think much of what they produce uses the naked cowhide (such as the test fit jacket they sent my way), which is not my preference, but the overall quality of construction is still excellent.

Being located within 10 minutes of them, I'd say you owe it to yourself to pay them a visit and form your own opinions. I'd be very interested to hear about your experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred