Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers

The test jacket as it is now, fits well enough that anyone not registered here would buy it at once, just as it is and not give it a second thought. So, whatever adjustments you decide for, it will be a great jacket either way. The only thing you should not do, is ordering it too tight. As you mentioned, Alan is quite strict with the "customer is king" policy. He allows you to ask for pretty much any change that comes to your mind and will not argue with you if you go against his advice. I'm telling you this because with my first Order there, I got the fit jacket and I went full ham on narrowing down side panels. Alan was like "1" on each side off" and I was like "nah make it 2"!" Yeah, guess what, I didn't hit the gym for a few months, gained 10 pounds and who's wearing my jacket now? Yeah. That's right. My little brother. Lesson of the day, Never go full retard on the tight fit quest. :D Or as Fanch uses to say, a jacket a bit too wide will make you :) while a jacket a bit too tight will make you :( .

Personally, I think the sleeves look good length-wise as well as wide-wise, you fill them good enough to look a bit bulked up in them, a badassery I quite approve of, rather than the sleeves looking too wide, but sleeves are a very subjective thing, so do as you think, it will probably be good either way.

Regarding body length, I believe to see it covers your belt and I don't think the style looks as great when it's much longer than that. I would add maybe 1" but ask Alan to make the back a tad longer, like on the Vansons Chopper or Model A (a drop?).That way it looks right from the front and you csn still bend forward without the jacket riding above the belt at the back.
I'm certainly anxious to hear from Alan and get his input. I could see adding an inch to the width of the body but I wouldn't want to change the chest and shoulders. The pattern does have a dropped front, like an Aero 30's HB so I suspect a full 2" increase would be too much. My HB is 26.5" in back and right at the edge of almost too long in front. Suddenly my head is spinning so I think parking on it and getting feedback from his point of view, rather than trying to guess my way through it is a good idea!

My JL jacket has arrived! I'm absolutely in love with it! I have to say working with Alan was delightful. He asked plenty of questions and triple checked the specs before finalizing all the details. The jacket is superbly constructed and the 4oz overdye is no joke. It's beastly. The flannel lining is very comfortable in the body, the sleeves are lined in a nylon/satin type and are very easy to get into. Riri #8 raw/oxide zips and bone buttons at the cuff. Stitching is quite good, straight and even. Sleeves are softening up quite quickly with just a few wears, the body is going to take some time. Here's a couple iPhone shots of the finished product. Fit photos to come as I know without them this is somewhat a meaningless post. Just want to get some up and wait for the light to improve. I have to say, despite my best intentions to finally be done I'm 100% certain I'll be doing business with JL again.
IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

IMG_7332.JPG

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looks fantastic Tony. JL continues to impress. Their website seems to have improved but still does not appear to me to reflect how good they really are.

Looks fantastic Tony. JL continues to impress. Their website seems to have improved but still does not appear to me to reflect how good they really are.
You're absolutely right Fanch. Had it not been for the amazing examples of Alan's work I've seen here I'd not have even known what they're capable of!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful jacket there Tony! Excellent work by JL, they and you should be proud of it! Also +1 for the simple, understated design and excellt, spot-on fit of that jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner