Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought my first iron

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Never, ever, ever apply an iron directly to anything you value! Always use a cloth between the iron and the item to be pressed. This will prevent the aforementioned transfer of dirt to the garment, it will prevent iron 'shine', and will soak up excess starch that might otherwise stick to the soleplate of the iron and transfer elsewhere, causing browned starch marks.

I've been ironing my clothes for 4 years now, I was taught by someone who has been doing it all his life. I don't dry clean clothes unless they're stained beyond my ability to remove it, or are retaining odors. Repeated dry-cleaning isn't necessarily good for garments, especially vintage.

Scented linen waters are a nice touch, and have a somewhat more pleasant effect than cologne. Give it a try...but don't put cologne in your iron! It'll crack / fatigue the plastic. Don't ask me how I know.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I used to hate ironing until mine broke, and I had to borrow the neighbor's one night. That's how I learned that having a *good* iron to start with makes all the difference...

http://www.rowenta.com

It's a positively sensual experience to iron a good shirt with a Rowenta iron. Toss out that $25 Sears thing and get a decent iron, and the job is about a zillion times easier (and with much better results).

Oh, and I *never* send my good shirts out for dry-cleaning. I think someone else somewhere said it best...a $250 shirt will look like a $25 if you have it dry-cleaned.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GentlemanFarmer said:
Tony,

On a shirt, when ironing the side with the buttons - put the buttons face down and iron over the back of the buttons.

BTW - I was in CAP too, though as an adult. Low and slow for the USAF.

Great fun, wasn't it? I got to fly a Stinson L-5 and to ride in one of the FAA's DC-3s and a DeHavilland Canada Beaver. I'll have to take up flying again when I lose some poundage.

carebear

You are probably past this step, but I didn't see it posted.

- REMOVE CLOTHING BEFORE IRONING -

I had brand marks when branding wasn't cool. :D

Barbigirl

Practically Family
~

I abhor ironing. EVERYTHING that needs to be ironed goes to the cleaners. Money is no object to me in this area.

I only iron when I am sewing and as little as possible.

Daisy Buchanan

Forget ironing! Just turn on the shower to the hottest it will go, hang up what needs to be ironed and close the door until there's no more hot water! This really does work, and you won't get burned!:)

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Better than an iron

After Katrina came and shook things up around here, it was difficult to find a decent cleaner. I got tired of ironing, so on a suggestion from my mother I bought a steam press from Amazon. It is better than and iron, and my shirts look better than the ones that come from the laundry. I've pretty much given up on using a professional laundry in favor of my steam press.

vonwotan

Practically Family
How did you learn?

How ever did you all learn to use an iron? I just recently purchased what is supposed to be an excellent iron with all the bells and whistles. From time to time I will attempt to learn and to iron my own shirts so they will last longer. Unfortunately I cannot buy shirts off the rack so I try to keep them around for as long as I can.

Once upon a time I had a larger budget and had them hand pressed by our cleaning woman. Gentle washing and hand pressing will make the shirts last a very long time, the cleaners tend to do them in in no time, and anything colorful becomes dull after the first trip to the cleaner.

I am trying to wash and press my own shirts, and thought I was doing well, but I've just left burns? stains? on the collor of one of my favourites...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails