Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keira Knightley's Hair in Atonement

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pretty green dress

And I know I am going to sound like a pill, but it is not terribly authentic!
The fabric is far too stiff. A crepe de chine would have been more like it, something with some weight and drape to it. I have NEVER seen an evening dress of that era in a stiff thin silk like that.
Also the cut out embroidery - weird.
Also the spaghetti shoulder straps, they would have been flat 1/2 inch straps.
It looks like a 30s nightgown dyed and trying to pass as an evening gown.
It is pretty, and I love the color, but it looks so modern to me!

texasgirl

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic: And it can be yours, for $3200 and counting... still has 24 days to go!?!?!

http://www.clothesoffourback.org/product_info.php?products_id=1091

Here's one of the "inspired by" dresses
http://www.edressme.com/6199.html

Sorry, back on topic:

About her hair though, I too thought it looked a tad long. But I liked how it wasn't slicked down on her head either. I think there were probably all different kinds of styles. I mean, right now the long straight look is popular, but not everyone has it either. But I really liked her hair. And there are lots of wigs in my 1935 Montgomery Wards catalog, so they did that too

zaika

One Too Many
i agree with miss1929...her hair looks sloppy. at least in the photographs (i haven't seen the movie yet) her hair looks bad. might be the lighting, but in the first photo of her in the green dress her hair looks really messy. in the second photo her hair looks a bit better...but still...in my opinion, not really great. [huh] i've seen better, more authentic, hair on this here forum!
but, i don't know anything about fingerwaves. so, my opinion ain't worht much. lol

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Her hair in the tea room scene is dire, by this point it is what late 39 early 40? Wrong wrong wrong. and unflattering and poorly styled.

I love the dress, bought one similar for my skinny friend for £12 at a car boot sale.:mad:

jayem

A-List Customer
I do love th green dress, but I'll agree with whoever sad it just looks like a 1930s nightgown dyed green.

On Ebay, there's an auction for a true 30s dress, same color, that looks like it. I'd post a link, but it's an ongoing auction and I know that's banned. I was thinking of bidding on it, but it's decently sun bleached at the bottom.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Unfortantley, Alot of times in big hollywood films the hair/make-up/wardrobe people are at the mercy of the director. So it may have been he/she wanted a certain vision and that was end of discussion. BUt on the topic of hair I wish I could get my finger waves like at all. Mine always look awfull!lol

Samantha

Cinnamon

New in Town
RitaHayworth said:
Antonement has just been released down here in Australia - but I am loving Keira's hair in this!!

I have just had my hair cut shorter - and wonder if I can use velcro's overnight to get this sort of look:

james_mcavoy4.jpg

I just saw the movie and I ust say that her hair looks fabulous in this photo.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
The truth of it is, most 'average' women (and she was supposed to be of the old money-genteel -poverty) couldn't afford a set every week and on most of my vintage photos the hair (unless for a studio shot) is s little frizzy and unkempt.
K

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jayem said:
I do love th green dress, but I'll agree with whoever sad it just looks like a 1930s nightgown dyed green.

On Ebay, there's an auction for a true 30s dress, same color, that looks like it. I'd post a link, but it's an ongoing auction and I know that's banned. I was thinking of bidding on it, but it's decently sun bleached at the bottom.

Yes, I downloaded all the pictures of that dress on Ebay, as it has the most interesting collar/back action! That sunfade could be spray-dyed with powdered dye and rubbing alchohol, I have done that before with great success. If it wasn't a much smaller size than I am, I would be bidding.
Here's a picture...
l_4ec067d8ec0205d5d952e55e53007988.jpg

As you can see, much sturdier material. Not like a nightie...

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
Miss 1929 your so right, if they are going to make a movie about the Golden age,they should make it as Authentic as possible.......thats why when I go to vintage events I strive to look as Authentic as Possble you dont know who's out there;that knows more about the Look then you do!
Miss 1929 said:
And I know I am going to sound like a pill, but it is not terribly authentic!
The fabric is far too stiff. A crepe de chine would have been more like it, something with some weight and drape to it. I have NEVER seen an evening dress of that era in a stiff thin silk like that.
Also the cut out embroidery - weird.
Also the spaghetti shoulder straps, they would have been flat 1/2 inch straps.
It looks like a 30s nightgown dyed and trying to pass as an evening gown.
It is pretty, and I love the color, but it looks so modern to me!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Thats great news, all going to Charity too....:eusa_clap

I wonder about the little stars she puts in her hair....I'd love some for my sisters wedding. I've looked in Accessorize and online but not found any.
Any ideas ladies?
K

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic:

Given I've only read a synopsis and seenthe trailer but GOD I HATED THAT ANNOYING LITTLE BRAT OF A SISTER WHO MESSED IT ALL UP! :rage: How could anyone be so stupidly impulsive. (Even with her young age! :eusa_doh: )

Okay... Rant over! all better. lol :D

Naama

Practically Family
I doN't know, I wouldn't say that it's not neat enough, since I think (and saw on many old photos) that most of the average women didn't had those very clean hollywood hairstyles. But I just can't help myself, I think somehow it didn't really suits her well..... (I don't know the movie though, only the pictures) Especially that do with the longer back... horrible look! And by the way, the green dress, to mee it's not special at all I think (but I look horrible in green, maybe thats why :p )

Naama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner