Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L.B.J's Open Road

RBH

Bartender
LBJ: Program Transcript from PBS AMERICAN EXPERIENCE

McCullough: [voice-over] LBJ, Lyndon Baines Johnson -- Texan, Democrat, political virtuoso. He rises up out of the 1960s like a Colossus, like something from Shakespeare, filling the stage -- 10, 12 characters in one. He is admired and he is detested. Everybody who knew him had stories.

Yet Lyndon Johnson was hard for the country to know. He seemed so stiff and colorless on television, not at all himself. The real Lyndon Johnson was a mover, a driver, a charmer, a bully -- six feet four inches tall with a size 7-3/8 Stetson hat. He loved food -- chili and tapioca pudding. He loved attractive women. He was a good dancer, a brilliant mimic. He was funny, often hilarious. They all say that.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
My brother visited the LBJ Ranch while on vacation a couple of weeks ago. He said that they had a room with a whole wall of hat boxes with hats in them. The tour guide said that he would give each visitor a hat as a memento of their visit.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have read the same thing about LBJ and Resistol San Antonios. When he was in political offices Stetson was still a Yankee hat company. A Texas politician would not likely have worn a Stetson then. Stetson may have gifted hats to him though.
Also it was common for any brand of hat that was even a hint western to be called a Stetson.

RBH

Bartender
Fashion and Merchandising Fads By Frank W. Hoffmann, William G. Bailey 1994

6mk.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Here's a rare photo of JFK in a hat...and the hat is clearly too small. Now I know why Kennedy didn't wear hats. It must have been as difficult for him to find good size 7 5/8 hats on ebay as it has been for me.

jfkhat-1.jpg

AF

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here's a rare photo of JFK in a hat...and the hat is clearly too small. Now I know why Kennedy didn't wear hats. It must have been as difficult for him to find good size 7 5/8 hats on ebay as it has been for me.

jfkhat-1.jpg

AF

Yeah, you'd think if the president of Hat Corporation of America is going to present a hat to the President of the United States of America, he'd at least check to see what size he wore first!

Brad

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran