Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies with cigarettes

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I heard a story recently that they are planning on editing out cigarette smoking in Tom and Jerry cartoons. So a kid is going to smoke because he sees a cat or mouse in a cartoon smoking? Ridiculous!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lucas edited the agent's and military's guns out of ET on the re-release. Not pointed at anyone or anything, just being held while they searched for what could have indeed been a dangerous alien. Because guns (even carried by law enforcement and military in the course of their duties) are "bad" now.

How far is this going to go? All the slaps exchanged between male and female leads in classic cinema going to be edited out as "abuse"? Bugs Bunny's cross-dressing taken out for mocking some folks, or left in as an early celebration of alternative lifestyle choices?

There's a huge difference between acknowledging the errors of the past and attempting to erase them, to revise and purify history to fit current preconceptions of what is "good".

I'd rather they start erasing all the bad remakes of good movies that have been foisted on us these past few decades.

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
Girl Friday said:
I heard a story recently that they are planning on editing out cigarette smoking in Tom and Jerry cartoons. So a kid is going to smoke because he sees a cat or mouse in a cartoon smoking? Ridiculous!

Sheesh!...I grew up on Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Bugs Bunny and Woody Woodpecker. I can't honestly say I was ever compelled to try smoking at that age. Smoking didn't really come to mind until high school where there was some peer pressure to smoke like the 'cool' guys and gals. Perhaps those cool kids were the ones that took the smoking in Tom & Jerry cartoons to heart.....went right over my head....but, then, a lot does.

Strider

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
In classic movies, a lady would sometimes be seen with a cigarette hanging about, so with what was considered 'classy' then, is it still viewed as 'classy' or 'sexy' now?

Maybe to some, but not to me. The second I see a woman with a cigarette, I am completely turned off, I don't care how good looking she is. I won't go near her.

Elaina

One Too Many
I started smoking because I was anorexic, and my brother (who is 10 years older and didn't know) said it curbed appetite.

I still smoke, sadly, but now it's a habit. I'm also very fortunate: my family is a bunch of smokers, always have been, and I inherited good genes. I don't look my age, nor does the rest of my family.

I don't get offended by people that are non-smokers. We don't have to be in the same room, to be honest. I don't get offended when my non-smoking friends don't want you to smoke in their house. To each their own, really. I get more offended by the women that scream and yell at me for wearing a dress and heels, letting my seven year old son open my car door, doors in general, and order for me all in the name of the feminist movement, and what a rotten woman I've turned out to be.

Elaina

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Yeah smoking is glamorous
smoke01.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's all about the accessories...

I tried to start smoking when I was 13, but I felt carsick so I stopped. Now, I do smoke, but I do not (and will not) inhale tobacco, I may be crazy but I know my tendency to addictive behavior!
Exercise basic politeness: I would never light up in a non-smoker's house or a public space, I ask the people I am with if it will bother them and refrain if so.
I enjoy the taste of tobacco, I smoke maybe 1 every month or two, so I see no problem with it! Besides...

l_ffb17546b369818b32b031624e9fdf0c.jpg

I think it looks sexy!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I have no problem with seeing women, or anyone, smoking in movies from any era. Same with guns and drinking. If it makes the character, use it. I've written short stories with guys or gals smoking. And those very long cigarette holders can be either very glamorous or very funny, depending on the context.

Filmnoirphotos' work is fantastic! (I've lately been thinking of doing a few shoots like that myself . . . once I get started again!) I was very impressed with every photo on his site. Many, many jobs well done, friend!

For me, personally, neither do I smoke nor would I want to date a woman who smokes. That's just me.

Lee

But I wouldn't hesitate to put a cigarette in a photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot